Pork Chops

GiantCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Way too often they come out too dry. I had a frozen rack of pork that I wanted to use before I move, so I had some friends over for dinner. Made a pretty simple meal that everyone loved.

Pork chops- I cut 2 double thick for the guys (2 1/2 inches) and single thick for the ladies. (You can just have a butcher cut them if you're buying) I brined them overnight in water with equal parts salt and sugar. I cooked them indoors, but you can just as easily do them on the grill. Dry the chops, sprinkle both sides liberally with salt and pepper and sugar. Sear in a cast iron pan until crusty and caramelized. Heat oven to 350F, transfer pan to oven and cook to about 140. Remove and let sit for 5-10 minutes. On a grill, caramelize over high heat, then switch to indirect heat to finish.

Onion confit- Thin slice one or two red onions. add salt and pepper, saute in butter and canola oil under low heat until they soften and start to brown. Add a splash of balsamic or red wine vinegar and cook another minute or two

Roasted potatoes- I had Yukon Golds in the house. Next time I'll try Russets. No need to peel. Cut into 1/8 inch slices, the short way. Toss with oil, salt and pepper and smoked paprika. Roast in a baking dish, trying to deep them a single thickness, at 400, about 45 minutes, til they're just starting to get crispy. Enjoy

btw, the first 2 recipes were taken from Laura Calder of Cooking Channel.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way too often they come out too dry. I had a frozen rack of pork that I wanted to use before I move, so I had some friends over for dinner. Made a pretty simple meal that everyone loved.

Pork chops- I cut 2 double thick for the guys (2 1/2 inches) and single thick for the ladies. (You can just have a butcher cut them if you're buying) I brined them overnight in water with equal parts salt and sugar. I cooked them indoors, but you can just as easily do them on the grill. Dry the chops, sprinkle both sides liberally with salt and pepper and sugar. Sear in a cast iron pan until crusty and caramelized. Heat oven to 350F, transfer pan to oven and cook to about 140. Remove and let sit for 5-10 minutes. On a grill, caramelize over high heat, then switch to indirect heat to finish.

Onion confit- Thin slice one or two red onions. add salt and pepper, saute in butter and canola oil under low heat until they soften and start to brown. Add a splash of balsamic or red wine vinegar and cook another minute or two

Roasted potatoes- I had Yukon Golds in the house. Next time I'll try Russets. No need to peel. Cut into 1/8 inch slices, the short way. Toss with oil, salt and pepper and smoked paprika. Roast in a baking dish, trying to deep them a single thickness, at 400, about 45 minutes, til they're just starting to get crispy. Enjoy

btw, the first 2 recipes were taken from Laura Calder of Cooking Channel.

never added paprika before but we do a similar sliced potatoes with pork chops. I use a local seasoning called slavo salt that I swear by, best seasoning ever. Works great on everything but I especially enjoy it on fried potatoes or french fries.

www.slavosalt.com

I am curious about the sugar sear and will have to try it.

When doing onions I always just do onion, garlic and canola oil. Never done salt, pepper and vinegar, will add those next time and see what I think.

OP
OP
G

GiantCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
never added paprika before but we do a similar sliced potatoes with pork chops. I use a local seasoning called slavo salt that I swear by, best seasoning ever. Works great on everything but I especially enjoy it on fried potatoes or french fries.

www.slavosalt.com

I am curious about the sugar sear and will have to try it.

When doing onions I always just do onion, garlic and canola oil. Never done salt, pepper and vinegar, will add those next time and see what I think.

I'll check out that salt. Thanks. Laura Calder cooks French. The sugar sear is great. Don't skimp on the sugar.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slavo salt is good stuff. I use it once in a while. I normally use my own rub on meats.

where did you find out about it? store? farmers market? Know michael?

Michael is a friend of a good friend of mine. I got a bottle to try for free and have been buying it religiously ever since.

Reaction score
where did you find out about it? store? farmers market? Know michael?

Michael is a friend of a good friend of mine. I got a bottle to try for free and have been buying it religiously ever since.

I'm not sure where I heard about it maybe one of the BBQ forums I'm on. I think I bought it at Von Hansens. I'm on my 2nd jar of it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where I heard about it maybe one of the BBQ forums I'm on. I think I bought it at Von Hansens. I'm on my 2nd jar of it.

I havent been there yet but he did mention I can buy it there and save the shipping. Hes a friend of a friend. My buddy gave me some like two years ago and it is the staple seasoning in my house ever since. Ive bought far more than I can recollect and actually ran out last night. Crap!

Is it $12 at von hansens?

Reaction score
I havent been there yet but he did mention I can buy it there and save the shipping. Hes a friend of a friend. My buddy gave me some like two years ago and it is the staple seasoning in my house ever since. Ive bought far more than I can recollect and actually ran out last night. Crap!

Is it $12 at von hansens?

I believe so. It would be the bigger bottle at that price.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Great recipe. I would stick to the red potatoes (name escapes me at the moment) since they aren't as sweet as yukons, but a bit lighter than Russets.

Pork chops are amazingly underrated. The health backlash against red meat has sent pork into second class status, but pork is truly the most versatile meat.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great recipe. I would stick to the red potatoes (name escapes me at the moment) since they aren't as sweet as yukons, but a bit lighter than Russets.

Pork chops are amazingly underrated. The health backlash against red meat has sent pork into second class status, but pork is truly the most versatile meat.
Pork is the "other" white meat. :)

Love pork--in any form...pork chops, ham, bacon, sausage....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard