POM addict

AZZenny

Reaction score
Anyone else gotten into POM Wonderful pomegranate juice?

The medical research on pomegranate juice, seed oil, and peel extract is very, very impressive, and looks quite sound and well-designed -- this isn't marketing type 'research,' it's peer-reviewed and pretty convincing: reduced growth and development of tumors of skin, breast, prostate, lung, and colon; reduces accumulation of amyloid plaque in animal model of Alzheimer's; facilitates wound healing and surface skin regeneration; anti-viral/anti-fungal; low-glycemic so safe for diabetics and in several studies reduces bad cholesterol fractions and reduces arterial atherosclerosis. So far the only variety of pomegranate named in the studies is the Wonderful cultivar grown in California and Israel, but they are starting to look at other varieties (like in Spain where they also grow a lot of pomegranates.)

I have a wineglass of POM 100% (they also make it mixed with blueberry, cherry, mango, and tangerine, but I prefer the pure pomegranate) instead of a glass of red wine in the evening, with a splash of mineral water -- it's not real sweet, so it works very well -- and maybe have actual wine later on, instead of having two glasses of wine. POM isn't cheap, but not bad compared to decent wine.

POMx iced teas are also great, but they're a little sweet, so I cut them ~50% with home-made plain green or regular iced tea. Can't go a day without one. I have amassed a huge collection of the glass bottles, which make good drinking glasses, so have to start recycling them I guess.

The problem is they are out of the 100% juice everywhere in town! Apparently it's between the last of 2005 stocks and they're just about to harvest and press for 2006, so if anybody sees the pure pomegranate juice anywhere in town, could you let me know?

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds interesting--I'll keep my eyes open for it--where in the store is it normally found? Juice aisle, I assume? Or with teas & stuff?

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
with the fancy little juice and juice-teas -- either in the fruit/veggie section or near it, usually. Refrigerated. Like I say - pretty expensive, but since I make the tea go twice as far and a bottle of juice = ~3 wineglasses, it's not too bad.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
awesome stuff, sadly just a little more than the price of gold per bottle...

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be a thread about this...

Attachments

• pom_cheer.jpg
    pom_cheer.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 284

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or this...

:shrug:

Attachments

• pom.jpg
    pom.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 277

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A

The problem is they are out of the 100% juice everywhere in town! Apparently it's between the last of 2005 stocks and they're just about to harvest and press for 2006, so if anybody sees the pure pomegranate juice anywhere in town, could you let me know?
How badly to you want them? I think they have the 100% POM here in Denver (I think I see them all the time, but haven't looked carefully enough). If you're addiction is serious enough, I can check and ship a box to you if it is indeed the 100% stuff that I'm seeing.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've had some nice frosts in the South, so the Pomegranites from here should be ready to harvest!!

(For those who don't know, Pomegranites are bitter before a frost. After a frost, they become sweeter).

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
Jon-- that's persimmons you're thinking of. I love persimmons, too.

The California Pomegranate harvest is just starting, I guess. Their website says they'll have it back in stores 'soon.'

Pariah, I just ordered a quart of Wonderful variety juice concentrate online -- if it isn't adequate and the regular stuff still doesn't show up here, I'll maybe take you up on it. Thanks for the offer.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pariah, I just ordered a quart of Wonderful variety juice concentrate online -- if it isn't adequate and the regular stuff still doesn't show up here, I'll maybe take you up on it. Thanks for the offer.
No prob. I'll check when I'm at the store today and let you know if it's the real stuff I think I'm seeing.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon-- that's persimmons you're thinking of. I love persimmons, too.

The California Pomegranate harvest is just starting, I guess. Their website says they'll have it back in stores 'soon.'

You're right :bang:

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
FOUND IT!!! I was way the heck out in the far west valley for work and zipped into a Sprouts Market, and they had A bottle of POM juice. Which of course I bought. Then when I was heading home I checked the Sprouts at Cactus and Tatum, and glory be! They were out of the little bottles, but had the economy 48 ounce size -- which was a definite savings over what I had been paying, although I see Sprouts is far cheaper than the other places I'd seen it. (I stocked up, so thanks Pariah, but I'm cool for the next couple weeks.) So either the drought is ending, or Sprouts has connections, because no one else has it. One poor Safeway guy said he calls and re-orders it every single day because he gets so many people asking for it, and so far just been told to hang tight.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FOUND IT!!! I was way the heck out in the far west valley for work and zipped into a Sprouts Market, and they had A bottle of POM juice. Which of course I bought. Then when I was heading home I checked the Sprouts at Cactus and Tatum, and glory be! They were out of the little bottles, but had the economy 48 ounce size -- which was a definite savings over what I had been paying, although I see Sprouts is far cheaper than the other places I'd seen it. (I stocked up, so thanks Pariah, but I'm cool for the next couple weeks.) So either the drought is ending, or Sprouts has connections, because no one else has it. One poor Safeway guy said he calls and re-orders it every single day because he gets so many people asking for it, and so far just been told to hang tight.

Glad you found it! Just curious (if you don't mind saying), but what is "way the heck out in the far west valley" to someone on the east side? If you say 51st & Peoria, I may die laughing.... ;)

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
173rd Avenue and Van Buren area.

WAY West side. Though the Sprouts was at McDowell and Dysart or Litchfield.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Have you tried the Langers 100%?

Much Cheaper...

http://www.langers.com/Products/Juices/images/allPom.jpg

Langers All Pomegranate brings you thirst-quenching flavor and extra nutrition in every sip. Recent studies show that pomegranates contain almost three times the antioxidant activity of red wine and green tea. Antioxidants have been shown to help prevent heart disease and cancer, and to slow changesthat occur with normal aging.Our All Pomegranate is 100% pure with no preservatives, no added sugar and nothing artificial. Completely delicious and good for you, too

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
I have tried a couple other brands, but don't know if Langers was one, and they are generally 'lighter' tasting -- More like a fruit juice drink. If it's going to sub for a glass of wine, it needs to have that hefty, tangy Zinfandel-type of body. None of them are real cheap, but in the large container POM is 22 cents an ounce -- I can swing that.

Plus, I'm sticking with the cold-pressed Wonderful cultivar until the research says otherwise. I was surprised to see that most commercial pomegranate product comes from Turkey and India -- only a couple companies stick to USA-grown and pressed fruit. Since anti-oxidants are easily damaged by improper preparation and storage, closer to home strikes me as better both politically and health-wise.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
173rd Avenue and Van Buren area.

WAY West side. Though the Sprouts was at McDowell and Dysart or Litchfield.

okay--glad to know we agree on what 'way the heck' out in the west Valley is. :D You were within a couple of miles of me! I almost tried to get a job at that Sprouts--way before I got my new job. I love Sprouts. Great prices on almost everything they carry.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zenny, you are officially my online g/f

I also have the addiction. If I ever have a really bad day of eating (too much junk) I down a bottle and I feel instantly healthier lol I know its in my head but oh well.

I get the cherry and blueberyy. Have a small glass for breakfast.

I will have to get the plain and try the wine thing. I also am a wine drinker. But had to quit until i hit 6 months without a cigerette. I am at 2 now.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Zenny, I used to like the POM, but I find it WAY too sweet. I notice you referring to 100% pom is that a different kind of POM that doesnt have artificial sweeteners in it? I currently drink "Elite Natural" brand pomegranate juice, nothing, zero, nada besides pomegranate juice. Its rediculous. I also took some of it, reduced it to a glaze, mixed it in with some sauteed shallot in a port wine reduction and sauced some skirt steak with it. DEEEEEEEEElicious.

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
The POM tea has Fructose. Much too sweet, but that's why I cut 50% with plain iced tea (green/white or ginger peach) and it's perfect for me

The POM pure 100% pomegranate juice doesn't have sweeteners - just pomegranate juice. The mixed POM-Mango and POM blueberry, etc., have only fruit juices. I also find them a tad sweet, which is why my search for the pure stuff.

Yeah, pomegranate is the same thing as grenadine, isn't it? and I know they use that in cocktails and cooking glazes. I was thinking trying it on ribs maybe.

Is Elite pretty strong as opposed to juice-ish? The 100% POM is strong-flavored enough that drinking a big glass of it would be an experience. LOL. A wine glass is just right. I'll keep my eyes open for Elite. Oh - Is it made in the USA?
I LOVE your sig line!

btw, swd -- congrats on two months! Keep it going!

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The POM tea has Fructose. Much too sweet, but that's why I cut 50% with plain iced tea (green/white or ginger peach) and it's perfect for me

The POM pure 100% pomegranate juice doesn't have sweeteners - just pomegranate juice. The mixed POM-Mango and POM blueberry, etc., have only fruit juices. I also find them a tad sweet, which is why my search for the pure stuff.

Yeah, pomegranate is the same thing as grenadine, isn't it? and I know they use that in cocktails and cooking glazes. I was thinking trying it on ribs maybe.

Is Elite pretty strong as opposed to juice-ish? The 100% POM is strong-flavored enough that drinking a big glass of it would be an experience. LOL. A wine glass is just right. I'll keep my eyes open for Elite. Oh - Is it made in the USA?
I LOVE your sig line!

btw, swd -- congrats on two months! Keep it going!

I was being serious. Will you be my online girlfriend?