Craft Beer

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
I just discovered posts in Dining and Drinking and saw there are no craft beer threads. There are bourbon/whiskey, steak and wine, martini, hamburger, and even coffee threads, but nothing on beer. I am sure I am not the only one who does not do whiskey, martinis or coffee, but loves craft beer.

Phoenix, like most cities has a great number of small business craft breweries and tap rooms, and so does the entire state of Arizona. I live in Ahwatukee, and in a short drive in the east valley there are brew pubs such as Wilderness, Beer Research Institute, Wicked, Helluva, Fate, and taprooms such as Whining Pig, Freeney's, and others. Goldwater Brewery just opened a taproom with 20 of their beers. Sorry, Four Peaks and San Tan. You were good in your time, but are now inferior to the numerous small breweries.

I like most craft beers especially goses, sours and stouts, but my go to beer is a hazy IPA. My present favorites are Tombstone, Goldwater Hop Chowda and Wilderness La Ciudad. I would love to discover and explore new craft beer places in my area if you know any.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whining Pig is cool. I used to spend quite a bit of time at The Perch in Chandler.

Valley Taproom is in the same parking lot as my gym at south Loop 202 and Gilbert but I haven't tried it yet.

I was at Pedalhaus in downtown Chandler a couple weeks ago and I loved over of their imperial stouts.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Beer Cave (inside the Quick n Shine Gas Station) on Gilbert and Warner is fantastic for carryout beer and growlers and has a fine selection of cigars as well.

Some of the beers we Carry:​

Large Selection of Craft Beers!​

We Always Get Limited Edition Beers!​

• Abita
  • Alaskan
  • Anchor
  • Ballast Point
  • Bells
  • Black Market
  • Blue Moon
  • Blue Sky
  • Breckenridge
  • Coronado
  • Deschutes
  • Destihl
  • Dogfish Head
  • Firestone
  • Founders
  • Full Sale
  • Golden Road
  • Great Divide
  • Green Flash
  • Hess
  • Kona
  • Lagunitas
  • Left Hand
  • Mission
  • New Belgium
  • Ninkasi
  • Odell Brewing
  • Oskar Blues
  • Rogue
  • Sam Adams
  • Shipyard Brewing
  • Sierra Nevada
  • Ska
  • Stone
  • Two Brothers
  • Victory Brewing

OP
OP
T

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I love The Perch, primarily because I have exotic birds and always visit their rescue birds, and they make good beer. I'll check out the other suggestions, especially King's Beer and Wine.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I just discovered posts in Dining and Drinking and saw there are no craft beer threads. There are bourbon/whiskey, steak and wine, martini, hamburger, and even coffee threads, but nothing on beer. I am sure I am not the only one who does not do whiskey, martinis or coffee, but loves craft beer.

Phoenix, like most cities has a great number of small business craft breweries and tap rooms, and so does the entire state of Arizona. I live in Ahwatukee, and in a short drive in the east valley there are brew pubs such as Wilderness, Beer Research Institute, Wicked, Helluva, Fate, and taprooms such as Whining Pig, Freeney's, and others. Goldwater Brewery just opened a taproom with 20 of their beers. Sorry, Four Peaks and San Tan. You were good in your time, but are now inferior to the numerous small breweries.

I like most craft beers especially goses, sours and stouts, but my go to beer is a hazy IPA. My present favorites are Tombstone, Goldwater Hop Chowda and Wilderness La Ciudad. I would love to discover and explore new craft beer places in my area if you know any.
I used to live by TOPS Liquor in Tempe, became a big beer snob during that period but that was before all the local small breweries broke out

Favorite beer of all time is Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout - it would be cool to source a local oatie stout

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Wow. That's my all time favorite as well.
It's an amazing beer, most requested in the hippie community. Used to buy them but the case and sell them individually in grateful dead parking lots and festivals - that beer allowed me to earn the gas money to travel the country without having to sell weed or anything else lol

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
but my go to beer is a hazy IPA.
Some breweries that you need to try-

Moonraker - incredible brewery, especially their IPA's
Baa Baa Brewhouse - great outfit out of Texas, lots of crazy delicious fruit beers
Drekker - pride of North Dakota, like Baa Baa they have an incredible selection of both IPA's and fruit beers, and some off the wall combos

OP
OP
T

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
Some breweries that you need to try-

Moonraker - incredible brewery, especially their IPA's
Baa Baa Brewhouse - great outfit out of Texas, lots of crazy delicious fruit beers
Drekker - pride of North Dakota, like Baa Baa they have an incredible selection of both IPA's and fruit beers, and some off the wall combos
Thanks. I'll look for those, especially when I try out Kings Beer and Wine.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I love Hazy's! My favorite is Church Music from "The Shop Beer Co."

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So many great beers in town. Long time IPA drinker here…damn near 30+ years on the IPA kick

OP
OP
T

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
Anchor Brewery in San Francisco, the makers of Anchor Steam Beer, has closed and gone into bankruptcy. That is a shame. It made Anchor Steam Beer by a unique process since 1827. They also made Christmas Ale, which was very good.

I have fond memories of drinking Anchor Steam during my trips to San Francisco, especially at Giants games.

One of the downsides of the many local craft breweries is that small to medium businesses have more competition. Also, 70% of Anchor's distribution was to bars and restaurants, which covid killed.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Anchor Brewery in San Francisco, the makers of Anchor Steam Beer, has closed and gone into bankruptcy. That is a shame. It made Anchor Steam Beer by a unique process since 1827. They also made Christmas Ale, which was very good.

I have fond memories of drinking Anchor Steam during my trips to San Francisco, especially at Giants games.

One of the downsides of the many local craft breweries is that small to medium businesses have more competition. Also, 70% of Anchor's distribution was to bars and restaurants, which covid killed.
Really a shame. Like you, I always enjoyed a cold Anchor Steam at a Giants game. They have a beautiful manufacturing building in SF as well. Their Christmas Ale was dynamite.

I know Sapporo bought them back in 2017. I’m going to see if I can find a 12 pack of Steam at my local store before they’re gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard