POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was the rumor.

That could mean Payton to Denver (Fangio would never go there) or Payton is out for this year.

I tend to believe its Denver.
Denver is a far cry from LA weather wise, but money talks. Denver has a legit D & even though it appears that Wilson is on the downside of his career, maybe even worse, I’m sure that Sean thinks he can get a couple more great seasons out of him. I’m still not sold it’ll be Denver.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm thinking Payton is waiting another year.
The Cardinals job is the only one left that’s even remotely a good option. If the Cardinals aren’t willing to meet his demands, I could definitely see him waiting another year. More possible options next year:
LAR
ATL
NO
TB
CHI
WSH
DAL (always a possibility with Payton)
LV
LAC
CLE
NYJ

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Cardinals job is the only one left that’s even remotely a good option. If the Cardinals aren’t willing to meet his demands, I could definitely see him waiting another year. More possible options next year:
LAR
ATL
NO
TB
CHI
WSH
DAL (always a possibility with Payton)
LV
LAC
CLE
NYJ
I suppose if you wait another year, why not wait another as essentially a FA and don't need a trade? Assuming nothing super enticing opens up.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Reading between the lines on Colin's comments after hanging out with Payton, he will decide where to coach next based upon the ownership group of each team. That gives Denver an advantage.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reading between the lines on Colin's comments after hanging out with Payton, he will decide where to coach next based upon the ownership group of each team. That gives Denver an advantage.
Yeah, but their division, and broken Russell Wilson are 2 pretty big disadvantages.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Holy cow...I just picked up on something that Payton said at about the 4:30 mark (just go to when he starts talking)...He was talking about teams with QB's and how they are usually playing well and don't have an opening (something like that), then he said teams with an opening are not necessarily "broken", but something is wrong. Didn't Mike, in his "we just fired KK" presser use language about not being at broken as some might think?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I would luv for the Cardinals to sign Payton since I think he might have the best ability to help Kyler but starting to find it hilarious how the media is treating him like a football messiah and those limited comments by him for what he is looking for in a franchise like its scripture

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I mean, he's talking crap right?

For every good team with good owners there's a good team with bad owners.

The Hunt family have had plenty of bad seasons. They got good with the right HC and QB.

The Eagles are good, but Lurie is pretty bad. The Bengals are good but Brown is awful.

What all the good teams have are bad QBs or HCs. There's no correlation with ownership.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score

The Hunt family have had plenty of bad seasons. They got good with the right HC and QB.

The Eagles are good, but Lurie is pretty bad. The Bengals are good but Brown is awful.

What all the good teams have are bad QBs or HCs. There's no correlation with ownership.
Exactly!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Rams owner Kroenke was known as a terrible owner prior to McVay.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Denver is a far cry from LA weather wise, but money talks. Denver has a legit D & even though it appears that Wilson is on the downside of his career, maybe even worse, I’m sure that Sean thinks he can get a couple more great seasons out of him. I’m still not sold it’ll be Denver.
I livied in Denver and although it does have the winter snow weather, it is a fun place and the Rocky Mountains are spectacular. The city is crazy over the Broncos. They have an excellent new stadium and an owner with deep pockets. Russell Wilson had a terrible year but he is just 34 years of age and Payton could help resurrect his career.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

there are clearly a group of teams that have superior management: Steelers, Ravens, Patriots. There is a consistency to them where if they are bad, they arent bad for long. You get the sense that they know what they are looking for in coaches and players.

then there are a group of teams that cant seem to get out of their own way: Jets, Bears, Raiders. Lions, Cardinals (sadly). You get the sense things are being picked at random -- and when randomness delivers a good coach (Lions) or a couple good drafts in a row -they win but dont know how to keep it going.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
2 firsts? Lmao.. saints can eat a big bag o,,,,,crayfish
wouldnt give Payton 20mil either...stretching it at 12

hell, the only way I would even give 2 seconds is if it were 2024 and 2025

our 34 pick this year is the highest I would go...and as soon as the chance comes along...I am pissing in the saint cheerios...damn owner better not come to glendale for a game...because his drink will have additives.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rams owner Kroenke was known as a terrible owner prior to McVay.

Yup. I was looking at this yesterday. "NFL Owner ranking 22/23" and Kroenke was #3 and my first thought was "I bet in 2017 he was like #30"

Similarly I bet in 2015 and 2016 Mike B was pretty highly ranked. Superbowl finilists not long ago. 3 recent seasons with 10+ wins.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
there are clearly a group of teams that have superior management: Steelers, Ravens, Patriots. There is a consistency to them where if they are bad, they arent bad for long. You get the sense that they know what they are looking for in coaches and players.

then there are a group of teams that cant seem to get out of their own way: Jets, Bears, Raiders. Lions, Cardinals (sadly). You get the sense things are being picked at random -- and when randomness delivers a good coach (Lions) or a couple good drafts in a row -they win but dont know how to keep it going.

All those "bad" teams have in common is hiring bad GM's.

The owners aren't inherently bad owners. They have just been poor when they hire badly and good when they don't.

I think the best you could do on this is say there are owners that are better at identifying talented GM's and those that are not so good.

Do you see the Bengals being consistently bad with Burrow at QB in the next 10 years? I doubt it. Despite Brown being the worst owner in the league.

Ownership is a distant 4th to QB, HC, and GM.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am out on Payton.

Same. Frankly I'm not a fan of his showboating. I feel like he's taking a "Look at me" tour. I've seen more of Payton the last few weeks popping up on various different shows than I have in recently years combined.

I feel like he's loving the attention too much.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson