POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
FWIW An update from Albright on Payton from the recent PHNX podcast:

1. Not necessarily the guy in Denver. Still other coaches who are going to get vetted.

2. Things have slowed down with AZ as he isn't one of MO's "guys". Could still interview.

3. Cardinals are going to interview Gannon who is the DC for Eagles for the HC job.

4. The cost of Payton in terms of salary and draft picks has turned off some teams.

5. Oh and he said that VJ is a legit candidate for our HC role which is just terrifying.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Thanks @Redsz for the insight!

I'm starting to feel like #4... Two firsts and all of that money? Nope. I felt like the Saints were bluffing, but if they're gonna hold the line, that's setting up Payton to fail, and potentially just burning cash.

Now, I think the Saints are complete idiots for thinking that any of the teams looking for a head coach right now could give that up for Payton's expertise, but if they're going to have a burr up their butt, more power to them, and let's move on.

I've been the biggest Payton stan on the board recently, but even I'm starting to become disillusioned.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks @Redsz for the insight!

I'm starting to feel like #4... Two firsts and all of that money? Nope. I felt like the Saints were bluffing, but if they're gonna hold the line, that's setting up Payton to fail, and potentially just burning cash.

Now, I think the Saints are complete idiots for thinking that any of the teams looking for a head coach right now could give that up for Payton's expertise, but if they're going to have a burr up their butt, more power to them, and let's move on.

I've been the biggest Payton stan on the board recently, but even I'm starting to become disillusioned.

Yup I'm bored of him already. Guy's just the coaching version of a prick tease.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Now, I think the Saints are complete idiots for thinking that any of the teams looking for a head coach right now could give that up for Payton's expertise
Really? I could easily see the Broncos do that.

Anyway, I am starting to warm up to DeMeco Ryans. To me, he sounds like a budding star as a head coach, since he apparently has focus on both sides of the ball, is a great communicator, and have his players fight for him. Attributes that are ten times more valuable for a head coach than if he can call plays. I really like the idea of him as the HC with Flores as the DC and Greg Roman as the OC. I mean, I think the option to bring in Flores would still be there even if he doesn't get the head coach job, and Roman created succesful offenses around Kaepernick and Lamar Jackson. That has to be attractive to Bidwill and Ossenfort.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Anyway, I am starting to warm up to DeMeco Ryans. To me, he sounds like a budding star as a head coach, since he apparently has focus on both sides of the ball, is a great communicator, and have his players fight for him. Attributes that are ten times more valuable for a head coach than if he can call plays. I really like the idea of him as the HC with Flores as the DC and Greg Roman as the OC. I mean, I think the option to bring in Flores would still be there even if he doesn't get the head coach job, and Roman created succesful offenses around Kaepernick and Lamar Jackson. That has to be attractive to Bidwill and Ossenfort.
The Broncos just gave up so much for Russell Wilson, and their roster just isn't that great anymore. They can pay Payton all of the money in the world, no doubt, but I don't see him succeeding with there years of sold off first round picks, a 34 year old QB in a clear decline, an RB room led by a guy with an ACL tear, and a defense that traded away key pieces, where his rumored DC (Fangio) won't be coming back to town.

PeyPey and the Saints seem to be pricing themselves out of the market. No major arguments to the rest of your points though!

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I don’t disagree & I like Ryans, but I think that Flores is better suited as a HC.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm off the Payton wagon. The draft picks and salary demands are too high.

I don't care about the salary aspect since I am not writing the checks. Draft pick demands are way too high though.

Doesn't change the fact I think he is the best available among a rather bleh group of candidates

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Payton is doing his second interview with Denver.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Payton is doing his second interview with Denver.
That's very new. Just about 30 minutes ago they reported on the radio the Bronco's didn't have any 2nd interviews scheduled yet.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have a hard time giving up a high first round pick (2023 or 2024) for a coach. That would give me serious heartburn.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll just be glad when they make their decision and then on to the next 100 page thread on those that like the choice and those that hate the move.