POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He took a chance on a QB with a rehabbing shoulder and made the team relevant. You may even argue had the Dolphins signed Brees, he may never had the career he did. Miami wasn't running a quick timing offense. The Saints teams under Payton, even when having down years, rarely beat themselves. Let's also not forget Brees's last 4 or 5 years, when he had a noodle arm hardly capable of throwing over 20 yards and how Payton adapted the offense around that. They were still going to the playoffs and getting to championship games.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
He took a chance on a QB with a rehabbing shoulder and made the team relevant.

Eh. Brees was already relevant and yes he took a chance but what other choice did he have at the time?

You must be registered for see images attach

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Eh. Brees was already relevant and yes he took a chance but what other choice did he have at the time?

You must be registered for see images attach
I never said Brees wasn't already relevant...he was unwanted by San Diego because he was short and didn't have the strongest arm...He was unwanted by Miami because of his shoulder. Sean took a chance. I'm sure articles can be found, from that time, questioning the move.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I never said Brees wasn't already relevant...he was unwanted by San Diego because he was short and didn't have the strongest arm...He was unwanted by Miami because of his shoulder. Sean took a chance. I'm sure articles can be found, from that time, questioning the move.
Brees going to New Orleans over Miami that year was one of the biggest sliding doors moments in the history of both pro and college football.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Not surprising that he is being negative. Maybe MB didn't want to repeat the same mistakes he made with Kiem?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Jurecki is probably only hearing voices in his head. Every team Payton is going to interview has a GM in place. His take makes no sense.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Considering Sean has spoken to every team already (his words on Cowherd), I’m sure he knew what Mike’s plan was. Plus Mike was public in his comments about wanting a GM first, if possible.

I take everything Jurecki posts with a grain of salt.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a few points:
-We all know what Jurecki is. Let's just say he's a questionable source.
-The Cardinals have been a rudderless organization for decades, but they do keep their news close to the vest.
-Did anyone know that JJ Watt was even considering the Cardinals until HE chose to tell us?
-I'll believe that Payton is no longer in the running when he either is hired by another team, or he hire someone else.
-Until then, we still have more to offer than the remaining teams vying for his services.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I find it odd that all these other teams are meeting with Payton in other cities than their own. Are they embarrassed by their own stadiums, facilities and communities? Sean Payton is a good and proven coach, but it’s not the end of the world if the Cardinals don’t get him. Right now, the only guy I hope they stay away from who has been mentioned is Vance Joseph. I don’t hate Vance. Probably a great guy. I just think his past HC record along with his underwhelming Cardinal defenses of the past few years should be major red flags. Which probably means… they’ll hire Vance Joseph!

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It’s really weird that there is nothing Cardinals and Payton related. I have a theory… maybe in the zoom calls with Payton one of his issues was how the Cards weren’t buttoned up and had leaks everywhere. So MB said I’ll prove to you we are changing and nothing is getting out to anyone? Maybe just really wishful thinking

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I find it odd that all these other teams are meeting with Payton in other cities than their own. Are they embarrassed by their own stadiums, facilities and communities? Sean Payton is a good and proven coach, but it’s not the end of the world if the Cardinals don’t get him. Right now, the only guy I hope they stay away from who has been mentioned is Vance Joseph. I don’t hate Vance. Probably a great guy. I just think his past HC record along with his underwhelming Cardinal defenses of the past few years should be major red flags. Which probably means… they’ll hire Vance Joseph!
Yes I think that's part of it. It's well known he wants to maintain the lifestyle he has had in LA.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes I think that's part of it. It's well known he wants to maintain the lifestyle he has had in LA.
Maybe he can coach the Broncos remotely from LA. And on game days, they can zoom him in on an iPad hooked up to a robot that moves up and down the sidelines. :D