Poll: RB Situation

What do we need at RB?

• Yes, in the 1st or 2nd round as a potential starter

Votes: 41 55.4%
  • Only draft one in the 5th round or beyond

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Package picks/players to move into the 3rd/4th for an RB (which picks/players?)

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Only look at the UDFA market

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • A free agent to compete for the starter spot with Edmonds (please name)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • A free agent to be a clear backup, Edmonds unquestioned starter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of 5th or later pick/UDFA/FAs for depth, Edmonds unquestioned starter

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Trade for our starter/competition with Edmonds

• Do not add any players at the position, we're set, Edmonds is the starter

• Total voters
OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Top 12 LG not OG. And he wasn't getting cut because he wasn't good...it was because it would save 9 mil. Even with the cut, Pugh's average per year is 8th highest for NFL LGs.
There's a difference between "not good" and "replaceable" though.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Patriots
Browns
Colts
Cowboys
Eagles
Saints
Bucs

and that is it.

The Rams line is not close.

Chargers line has 1 player better than DJ Humphries and three players worse than Kelvin Beachum.

Bills have no one as good as Hudson and their best player is arguable with Humphries.

Packers line is not as good.

Our offensive line is top 1/3 of the NFL and arguably top 10. You are mailing in these takes at this point.

LOL @Solar7 said Rams.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'll admit to not sitting down and breaking down film of every team's offensive line, but I certainly know I haven't read top 5 acclaim for DJ Humphries anywhere in my life before, and right now the right side of our line doesn't even have firm starters, so I find it hard to proclaim we've made it.

I respect your opinion here, and know you've been a coach and such, which I haven't, I've just been a bad high school football player, but I'm going to need to hear this from a lot more professionals who cover the league before I accept us as a top 10 line, or Humphries anywhere near the top 5.

I take them with a grain of salt, but Humphries was PFFs 4th rated TACKLE.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Patriots
Browns
Colts
Cowboys
Eagles
Saints
Bucs

and that is it.

The Rams line is not close.

Chargers line has 1 player better than DJ Humphries and three players worse than Kelvin Beachum.

Bills have no one as good as Hudson and their best player is arguable with Humphries.

Packers line is not as good.

Our offensive line is top 1/3 of the NFL and arguably top 10. You are mailing in these takes at this point.

Pass blocking wise our line is great, RG the only avg player.

Run blocking wise, they are probably mediocre at best.

But I agree, people still acting like we need offensive lineman are way off base when you compare it to our needs at many other positions.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I take that with a bowl of salt as it’s not a traditional pound you running attack when the QB is responsible for very large percentage of that rushing. In other words we are not a good running team from the rb slot necessarily.

Stats are stats.

2019 the Cardinals averaged the highest yard per carry in their over century of playing football.

No one on this board discounted the Seahawks rushing attack when Wilson and Lynch were together.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I take them with a grain of salt, but Humphries was PFFs 4th rated TACKLE.
PFF's rankings can be informative, but I'm not going to take a single season PFF grade over a bigger picture of their career as it pertains to other players. Lots of elements make players have up and down years.

Stats are stats.

2019 the Cardinals averaged the highest yard per carry in their over century of playing football.

No one on this board discounted the Seahawks rushing attack when Wilson and Lynch were together.
Lynch wasn't heading up a backfield that was 2nd to last for RB production.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There's a difference between "not good" and "replaceable" though.
Almost every player in the NFL is replaceable. They were going to cut him because he was costing in the top 3 of NFL LGs. When he was willing to be paid to be the 8th highest LG they kept him.

They were willing to pay a top 12 player the 8th highest salary but not the 3rd highest salary.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
PFF's rankings can be informative, but I'm not going to take a single season PFF grade over a bigger picture of their career as it pertains to other players. Lots of elements make players have up and down years.

Lynch wasn't heading up a backfield that was 2nd to last for RB production.

I don't know what to tell you. I'm not a PFF guy by any stretch, but they saw and I saw (and many other Cardinals fans and the vast majority of this board) a top tackle.

Rankings are man man made, unless you go by stats entirely, it's all subjective.

And for the other quote, cool story bro. The Cardinals had the seventh ranked rushing offense in the NFL. That is fact. And they were 4th in rushing TDs. Does it REALLY matter how they got there?

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you. I'm not a PFF guy by any stretch, but they saw and I saw (and many other Cardinals fans and the vast majority of this board) a top tackle.

Rankings are man man made, unless you go by stats entirely, it's all subjective.

And for the other quote, cool story bro. The Cardinals had the seventh ranked rushing offense in the NFL. That is fact. And they were 4th in rushing TDs. Does it REALLY matter how they got there?
The vast majority of this board horribly overrates the players on our team and makes excuses at every turn for a team who hasn't had a winning season in half a decade, so I don't look for objective takes here.

And yes, it REALLY matters when we're counting on Kyler to play hero ball to have a chance to be in games, and the instant he's slightly banged up and can't run, the offense sputters. Y'know, like the main reason we went 2-5 to end the season and missed the playoffs?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Stats are stats.

Naw, the reason no one brought it up is bc marshawn was putting up 1200-1600 yards rushing per season, they were a power running team and no one questioned if they could pick up a tough yard.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How you get yards doesn't really matter.
Not true. If we have a short yardage situation can we rely on a power running game? Nope. Showed that over and over last season. In end of game situations when trying to run out the clock, when the opponent knows you’re going to run, can we enforce our will and shove it down their throat to end a game? Nope. So you can tiptoe and dance bc kyler is an amazing rushing QB but no one considers the Cardinals a “running team” - not in the traditional sense. And kylers rushing doesn’t negate the need to have a good running back. In fact, if you’re relying on that from kyler you’re actually nullifying one of the things that makes him great bc instead of his rushing being a huge bonus you’re just relying on it to patch a hole you have at RB.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Ideally over time kyler would run less to better ensure fewer hits and less risk of injury, so yeah it does.

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder if now that the Bucs have signed Fournett if they would be willing to trade Ronald Jones? Jones can’t be happy with the signing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stats are stats.

Feel like that’s a pretty specious comparison. Lynch was one of the best running backs in the league and was the bell cow the entire offense was built around and there was only one year where Russ ran for anything near what Kyler did last year. Thats a much different scenario than we had last year where Kyler was making magic on broken plays. We saw when he was hurt and not doing that that we couldn’t rely on the run, grinding to a crawl against Seattle, NE and not being nearly effective in the last 7 games of the year.

I mean, we were able to just MASH people when Kyler was healthy and looking like mighty mouse making chicken salad out of chickenish when he was a threat on every play to the tune of 168 yard per game on the ground in the first 9 games. After he got hurt, our rushing game plummeted to 67 yards per game to 102 yards per. That says to me the O-line wasn't really all that great at estbalishing the line of scrimmage when it was time to smash mouth the ball and our ranking was more a function of Kyler freestyling out there in the first half when totally healthy.

that said, I think they were probably about league average as a strict run blocking unit last year and expect them to be flat out good this season with the addition of Hudson.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if now that the Bucs have signed Fournett if they would be willing to trade Ronald Jones? Jones can’t be happy with the signing.

man... did they lose ANYONE? You never see a Super Bowl team with that many big (hell and little) ticket guys become FA bring almost everyone back.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
What I've got to ask is - if RBs are a dime a dozen, why haven't the Cardinals had more than 6 RBs who have eclipsed 700 yards in a season in the 33 years they've been in AZ?
Because offensive line has been a problem here for decades.....
Then...... pass happy coaches

just ask Thesmal

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose