Playoffs: Clippers @ Suns Tuesday game thread 4-25-2023 - Game 5

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy call, KD and whoever over the twins. And if that were the only component to be considered, this deal would be a steal.

Right - which is why the Sun had to give up future picks, which won't impact the next couple of years.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, they did, with the Suns playing a dumb four-corners delay game, trying to run out the clock. Then Monty let them cut the lead to almost nothing before bothering with a time out.

Teams always seem to find an open three against the Suns Defense - have been able to do that for as long as Monty has been coach.

I don't have problems with the Suns running clock so long as they get good shots. That's the way the Suns went to the Finals with Chris Paul running the ship.

Some of those threes the Clippers hit were uncanny.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right - which is why the Sun had to give up future picks, which won't impact the next couple of years.
I don't want to derail this thread but right or wrong, some of us believe we could have made that deal without giving up 4 fully unprotected picks. And it's based on the belief that Brooklyn had every intention of moving him at that deadline.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have problems with the Suns running clock so long as they get good shots. That's the way the Suns went to the Finals with Chris Paul running the ship.

But that is the problem - Suns don't get good shots when they do the stall - wait for 3 seconds on the shot clock.

As I said in the game thread - it is futile to try to run a delay offense in the era of 24-second shot clock.

Start the attack at 10 seconds - much higher success rate

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If Monty continues to play Landry Shamet, he should be fired. Put him down near the end of the bench next to Ish and tell him to get ready for the offseason.

I can't wait for round 2. That Xmas day loss still sits with me heavy!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
But that is the problem - Suns don't get good shots when they do the stall - wait for 3 seconds on the shot clock.

As I said in the game thread - it is futile to try to run a delay offense in the era of 24-second shot clock.

The Nuggets are actually worse in the "pace" department than the Suns.

Both were bottom 10 in the league but the Nuggets like to play slow as well. We need to run Joker silly.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
In crunch time, who would you rather have on the floor - KD and JO or TC, or the Twins?
That's changing the subject. If we're going to cast an "anything is possible" net, then anything is possible. And in the last series, Durant's only real value in crunch time was as a decoy, to draw attention away from Booker.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Success will breed success... and vice versa.

If we win a title, yeah, I think another superstar will probably force their way here. If, in a few years, we are still titileless, despite KD, and Paul having played their twilight here, I don't think anyone else will saddle up.
Book is cementing himself as one of the guys that other guys will want to play with moving forward.
If Monty continues to play Landry Shamet, he should be fired. Put him down near the end of the bench next to Ish and tell him to get ready for the offseason.

Okogie being frozen out in the first game, and his minutes being taken by Shamet is truly galaxy brain stuff. Monty can't help but to play his favorites.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have no problem starting the attack at 10 seconds or even earlier if a play develops.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Suns are 12-1 with Durant in the mix, I believe Shamet played in every one of those games (not sure tho). I'm not sticking up for Shamet lol merely pointing the winning percentage as of late - which is far, far and away from anything resembling a fire-able offense

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem is there aren't even LOOKING for something earlier.
Maybe it's Monty but I suspect it's more CP3 and it's something that worked great for us until this season. Now, Monty needs to recognize that we don't have that CP3 anymore and coach needs to step up and overrule him.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He defended the decision to play Shamet vigorously in the post game.

Bickley believes it is championship or Monty is done.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I seriously almost got kicked out last night, I was screaming at Monte to pull Shamet out using not nice language.
I got a security guard babysitter for the rest of the game.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He defended the decision to play Shamet vigorously in the post game.

Bickley believes it is championship or Monty is done.
Monte was bitchy last night. "If i don't get a question I'm out."
Part of being a coach is having to talk to the press and take the blame when you get called out.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like ball control offense in the last five minutes of the game like in the Finals if it is well executed and finishes with a good shot.

Hopefully the Suns get there.

When have the Suns actually done that?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns did it regularly in the Finals season and quite successfully.
They sure as hell didn’t in the Finals.

And that was two years ago when CP3 was still great instead of the shadow of that guy now.

Not only have things changed drastically in the last two years… but ultimately we weren’t successful even back then in achieving what should be any goal for a team with the best record over the last two years… winning a title.

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is a one way ticket to staying exactly where you are.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
On the other hand, that also would have applied to the pre-trade Suns.
True. But that squad wouldn’t have had it as easy as suns in 4 squad against Denver. We would have less depth (no crowder) and they would have murray back. I think KD remains a big X factor for us. His numbers were really good and it still doesn’t feel like he’s playing well. Gives us great upside the old squad didn’t possess

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
With the NFL draft being tomorrow I am removing the ban for both members but this is the last warning here. Stop fighting in these game threads.
That’s some good moderating there. I like the facts and circumstances approach. Good on you sanders.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

It worked when Paul could get his shot 70% or if the time. It no longer works nearly as effectively bc Paul can’t get his shot in such a high percentage of the time. Monty hasn’t recognized that it he has no alternative.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's changing the subject. If we're going to cast an "anything is possible" net, then anything is possible. And in the last series, Durant's only real value in crunch time was as a decoy, to draw attention away from Booker.
You can say “only real value” for that and I’d replace it with “enormously impactful value” as it let book transcend to a level that wouldn’t be available with bridges and cam.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson