Playoffs: Clippers @ Suns Tuesday game thread 4-25-2023 - Game 5

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it’s gonna have to be a trade at some point. A disgruntled Star that we’ll probably use Ayton’s contract… and more future picks three years from now we’ll be able to send.

That said, Jones has to start finding role players in what little draft picks he has.

It will be tricky and will take foresight, but I do think it can happen.

Success will breed success... and vice versa.

If we win a title, yeah, I think another superstar will probably force their way here. If, in a few years, we are still titileless, despite KD, and Paul having played their twilight here, I don't think anyone else will saddle up.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheesebeef and Hoop Head banned for 3 days for bickering on the game thread.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
For sure. It was the least inspiring series win I can ever recall, but happy to be done in 5. That’s not lost on me.
I’ve been consistent in my position that this team, as currently constructed, is not a championship team. But, I am warming to the reality that one of the fundamental issues, second only to the horrifically weak bench problem, is the short amount of time KD has played in a Suns uniform. I believe I heard this right - that no team has ever won it all with a star acquisition who has played so few games as KD has for the Suns.
Yet, with each passing game, even when it looks ugly and KD goes for long stretches without taking a shot, they are getting more time on the court together, becoming more aware of each prefers to operate and learning.
I still have NO delusions of this team being a Championship team… they’re clearly not. But I can see them getting better as the post season wears on…

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ve been consistent in my position that this team, as currently constructed, is not a championship team. But, I am warming to the reality that one of the fundamental issues, second only to the horrifically weak bench problem, is the short amount of time KD has played in a Suns uniform. I believe I heard this right - that no team has ever won it all with a star acquisition who has played so few games as KD has for the Suns.
Yet, with each passing game, even when it looks ugly and KD goes for long stretches without taking a shot, they are getting more time on the court together, becoming more aware of each prefers to operate and learning.
I still have NO delusions of this team being a Championship team… they’re clearly not. But I can see them getting better as the post season wears on…
I don’t think they have the look of a traditional championship team at present. Little cohesion and a bench that’s gone completely MIA. But this postseason also seems to potentially offer a unique fact set for such a such squad to succeed. The “powers” (Celtics and bucks) are being challenged in the first round and extended. Giannis has already missed a game. No one else in the East is inspiring (Philly doesn’t scare me). And the west is now riddled with teams that are injured (griz and kings), not that good (lakers), or haven’t looked impressive (warriors and nugz). In fact, if the suns continue to gel and their bench grows a little more confident and Monty doesn’t kill us, there’s a fair chance at a title (health willing).

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I don’t think they have the look of a traditional championship team at present. Little cohesion and a bench that’s gone completely MIA. But this postseason also seems to potentially offer a unique fact set for such a such squad to succeed. The “powers” (Celtics and bucks) are being challenged in the first round and extended. Giannis has already missed a game. No one else in the East is inspiring (Philly doesn’t scare me). And the west is now riddled with teams that are injured (griz and kings), not that good (lakers), or haven’t looked impressive (warriors and nugz). In fact, if the suns continue to gel and their bench grows a little more confident and Monty doesn’t kill us, there’s a fair chance at a title (health willing).
Can’t argue with how this post season is developing in favor of the “Any Team Can Win” theme… So I guess it can’t be entirely ruled out.
I just can’t get past such big issues as the lack of cohesion - Book’s ability to become Superman and overcome the awkwardness due to the lack of together-time with KD, not with-standing, Ayton, CP3’s age and inconsistency, and the lack of a single impact player off the bench.
But again, this year is very odd and so, yea… if there were any year for any team, it’s this year I guess.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns in 4.

I look forward to the comments in the AM.

Wow that escalated quickly lol, Cheese and Hoop

I have an issue with teams not reporting injuries. Seems the medical staff shut Kahwi down knowing about his meniscus. I understand gamesmanship is part of the game but at some point when its a season ending injury it becomes something other than gamesmanship.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to apologize to everyone for sinking to that level here. I'm not apologizing because I was banned or unbanned. I'm sorry for stooping to that level here. We can all agree or disagree on many things, ultimately we're all Suns fans who want to see the Suns win and I hope my bickering didn't sour anyone's night.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Clippers just couldn't find an answer for Devin Armani Booker.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That's why I'm grateful PG and Kawhi were out. Both are excellent defenders who can effectively guard Book and KD. We dodged a bullet there.

That will be a question for years down the line, what could the Clippers had been if Kawhi and PG could stay healthy? I'd say they'd contend with KD and Book as far as potent superstar pairing. Both are in their physically prime years when players generally peak as well. There isn't the age disparity like KD and Book have.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I'm grateful PG and Kawhi were out. Both are excellent defenders who can effectively guard Book and KD. We dodged a bullet there.

That will be a question for years down the line, what could the Clippers had been if Kawhi and PG could stay healthy? I'd say they'd contend with KD and Book as far as potent superstar pairing. Both are in their physically prime years when players generally peak as well. There isn't the age disparity like KD and Book have.

It's the breaks of the game. I'm not sure if either player will get and stay healthy. This was a similar concern I had with the Suns acquiring Kevin Durant.

Devin Booker has gone superstar. I'm not sure a good, young supporting cast wouldn't have been enough.

Oh well, let's get that championship.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty is getting excoriated on 98.7 this morning

Who hosts the morning show now? I haven't listened in so long. I think Bickley and MJ were the last pair that did mornings I remember. I always got the stations confused though. 98.7, 1060, etc.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who hosts the morning show now? I haven't listened in so long. I think Bickley and MJ were the last pair that did mornings I remember. I always got the stations confused though. 98.7, 1060, etc.

Bickley and Marotta. They were letting people call in as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Clippers were vastly underrated without Paul George and Kawhi Leonard.

They would have likely beat the Pelicans, the Suns first round opponent in the playoffs last season.

Tyronn Lue had them playing their butts off. They are a deep and talented team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kawhi Leonard was reportedly diagnosed with a torn meniscus.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like those guys know anything about it. The Clippers must have hit like four 3-pointers in a row near the end of the game.
Yes, they did, with the Suns playing a dumb four-corners delay game, trying to run out the clock. Then Monty let them cut the lead to almost nothing before bothering with a time out.

Teams always seem to find an open three against the Suns Defense - have been able to do that for as long as Monty has been coach.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose