Pistons @ Suns 3-21-19

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
It happened more than once. Booker should still have better control of his passes. Not every catch, no matter how good the pass is, is going to be perfect every time.

All snarkiness aside, I wish Booker took more of a Nash approach to leadership. Nash was quick to take blame for everything, even if it was clearly not his fault. That's not Booker's style, and there's not much we can do about it, but it does annoy me when he's trying to hold someone else accountable for his mistake.

Booker is not close to Nash in the leadership department. It is the biggest problem with the organisation right now....No leadership

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not that I am disagreeing with you here, but we also never saw Nash have to deal with as much losing as Booker has endured. Obviously Nash was a huge part of why we were never a bad team while he was here, but we can't exactly expect a 22 year old Booker to have that same impact either. It is imperative that we make this our last terrible season because we will almost certainly be dealing with him asking out after next season if it goes similar to this season.

Or the same maturity as Steve when he returned. Book is only 22 and a lot has been put on his shoulders.

The D-backs did the same thing with Justin Upton and ruined his potential to become a premiere player.
Goldy took time to be the face of the organization and it worked out well.

The difference with Suns management is that they don't see, or plan, the big picture. They seem to want
instant gratification.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It happened more than once. Booker should still have better control of his passes. Not every catch, no matter how good the pass is, is going to be perfect every time.

All snarkiness aside, I wish Booker took more of a Nash approach to leadership. Nash was quick to take blame for everything, even if it was clearly not his fault. That's not Booker's style, and there's not much we can do about it, but it does annoy me when he's trying to hold someone else accountable for his mistake.

But I didn't see him doing this stuff until Westbrook, Wade, Paul Pierce and a few others chimed in on the subject. More than one of them said Booker has to become a hard-ass and start holding his teammates accountable. He seemed to change his approach almost immediately afterwards.

I've said this before but I think we're watching Devin trying out his best grownup impression without any grownups to actually learn from. In the end, it doesn't really matter why he's doing it, Koko (and company) has to steer him down the right path here. You should never show up your teammate in public like he has.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker is not close to Nash in the leadership department. It is the biggest problem with the organisation right now....No leadership

He's not but 22 year old Nash wasn't a leader either. And this is one of the many problems you can look forward to when you overload with youth as we have. Fortunately, kids grow up.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Fortunately, kids grow up.

Unless a kid (Booker) is forced to be an adult (and leader) too soon.

Which also affects the rest of the kids -- being led by a kid.

Environment is one of the two keys of maturing well.

Shortcuts may look good for a while, but they catch up with you.

As they have. And the Suns' approach (for many reasons) has
been hit or miss. Overwhelming "miss".

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In a way you are right about the Suns needing more leadership but it's easy to forget Nash was only 22 when drafted and it took him about four seasons to get it going.

The Suns may be growing their leadership. Booker is only 22, Ayton, 20, Jackson 22 and Bridges 22.

Look at the impact of slightly older players Oubre (23) and Johnson (26) has had on the team.

I do think the Suns are poised to make a huge jump next season by adding some veterans including a starting point guard and a power forward.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally don't think a 22 year old adult is a “kid“.

In basketball terms they probably are. And in life, they often times are too. There are obvious exceptions but I've read that the typical male doesn't fully mature emotionally until his late 20's to mid 30's in today's world. I know when I was in my teens (in the 60's) I heard my dad and others of his generation talk about how they had to be adults by the time they hit their early teens and they'd lament the fact that my generation wasn't maturing until our early 20's. So, at this rate, we'll have senior citizen kids in just a few more generations.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He's not a "kid", but he is still a "young adult". You just can't expect him to have the same level of maturity of someone who is 30+ years old.
Especially when he became the "face" of a dysfunctional organization at a young adult age. So far, he is in a no-win situation. And his frustration is showing.

Would any of us ask to be in that position? Not only emotionally. But physically as well. As both our best distributing Guard and our best Shooter.

He is expected to be James Harden at the age of 22. Again, a no-win situation for Devin Booker.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Booker calling for Melton being pulled is his own way of addressing how bad the PG situation is without Tyler Johnson available. I can agree with him to a certain extent because Melton seems to have a long leash with Igor. Okobo isn't allowed nearly as many errors on the floor before he's yanked. While Melton is out there he's not even the real PG, not like with Okobo or Johnson, because Booker still has to do a lot to cover for his offensive deficiencies. Booker can take a few plays off and be a secondary option with Okobo or Johnson out there but with Melton out there Booker has to keep an eye on him because sooner than later he'll need to be bailed out.

I think Booker could have gone about everything a lot better. Speaking up to the media about sitting Melton won't win anyone over and has the potential to create a rift but I think he's saying it in the media because he knows Igor won't pull Melton and the only chance he has of that changing is to put pressure on Igor by having the media question his use of Melton.

Who knows. I could be way off base but the only real issue I take with Booker's comment is saying it to the media instead of keeping it in house. If he's expressed similar frustrations in house already then I can't blame him for making it to the media now, after his in house complaints have fallen on deaf ears.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave