Pick up games, training camp news

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but it did not really fit the topic. This video is from Troy Daniels instagram. Looks like everyone is there including Tyson. I noticed JJ shooting a jumper about 15 seconds in. It looked smooth If JJ has fixed his form, that has the potential to pay big dividends.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I believe you're seeing Ariza there in the black shirt with the nice shot after the collage of dribbling up the court. JJ takes some shots at the end and his form looks pretty much the same as always, to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's nice to see Canaan moving well. If healthy, I could live with him being the Suns starting point guard. I'd rather do this than give up too much for a temporary fill-in. Josh Jackson is the one player I wish didn't cut his hair.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It's nice to see Canaan moving well. If healthy, I could live with him being the Suns starting point guard. I'd rather do this than give up too much for a temporary fill-in. Josh Jackson is the one player I wish didn't cut his hair.

I agree on Canaan. While he doesn't excel at any one thing, but he is competent at everything. He also has more NBA experience than all of the other PGs combined. Ideally, he'd be a backup, but I'll take him over the other three for right now.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Is Holmes playing? There's a big in a black shirt who looked pretty good. It's not Ayton because I recognize him (and he has a gray shirt). I think Holmes might do well playing in the high P&R, sets a decent screen and loves to roll to the rim - which we saw in his highlight vid. Igor really likes that play so it will important to have two bigs who do it well. Ayton will bring another dimension to that play because of the range he has on his jumper.

I'm embarrassed to admit I don't recognize hardly anyone without numbers on the their backs - and the camera's field of view is so small compared to the normal one - in most shots you don't know where on the floor they are.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Holmes playing? There's a big in a black shirt who looked pretty good. It's not Ayton because I recognize him (and he has a gray shirt). I think Holmes might do well playing in the high P&R, sets a decent screen and loves to roll to the rim - which we saw in his highlight vid. Igor really likes that play so it will important to have two bigs who do it well. Ayton will bring another dimension to that play because of the range he has on his jumper.

I'm embarrassed to admit I don't recognize hardly anyone without numbers on the their backs - and the camera's field of view is so small compared to the normal one - in most shots you don't know where on the floor they are.
That's Holmes with the pig tails and the big oop right at the beginning.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Canaan is basically what some think we need to add, a career backup that can start for us until we can find the PG of the future. He's not ideal but he's here and costs nothing for us to keep so it's best to run with him until we can upgrade that position substantially.

Can't wait for the season to start. Chemistry will be one of this teams most important traits that may help them exceed expectations. What's promising about seeing everyone get along and familiarizing themselves with each other is how that should help our team defense. Chemistry is vital for good team defense, especially when there is a weak defender or two in the lineup. Booker isn't really a weak defender but he's not exactly good either. He's capable of being much better than he's shown regularly and hopefully everyone playing all out around him will get him to exert more effort on that side of the ball. He shouldn't need to work as hard offensively so I don't see fatigue being an issue.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on Canaan. While he doesn't excel at any one thing, but he is competent at everything. He also has more NBA experience than all of the other PGs combined. Ideally, he'd be a backup, but I'll take him over the other three for right now.

I'm wondering who the Suns will keep at PG if they make a trade. They have Canaan, Harrison, Okobo and Melton already. If they add a PG in a trade this would make five. My concern is they trade Melton because he has not been signed. I really want the Suns to keep their rookie PGs and trim this position from there.

We agree Canaan can start until the Suns find someone better. The bottom line, I do not want McDonough to overpay for a PG.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canaan is basically what some think we need to add, a career backup that can start for us until we can find the PG of the future. He's not ideal but he's here and costs nothing for us to keep so it's best to run with him until we can upgrade that position substantially.

Can't wait for the season to start. Chemistry will be one of this teams most important traits that may help them exceed expectations. What's promising about seeing everyone get along and familiarizing themselves with each other is how that should help our team defense. Chemistry is vital for good team defense, especially when there is a weak defender or two in the lineup. Booker isn't really a weak defender but he's not exactly good either. He's capable of being much better than he's shown regularly and hopefully everyone playing all out around him will get him to exert more effort on that side of the ball. He shouldn't need to work as hard offensively so I don't see fatigue being an issue.

Multiply this times a thousand.

:cheers:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will be the 7th straight year that we've opened the season earlier than the one before. In 2012 we started on the 31st and we tip off on the 17th this year. So how come the offseason seems longer each year?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will be the 7th straight year that we've opened the season earlier than the one before. In 2012 we started on the 31st and we tip off on the 17th this year. So how come the offseason seems longer each year?

You bring up a good point. I'm about to tear my hair out.

Maybe it's because we have been waiting so long for the Suns to fill their need at point guard... one of their biggest needs. I thought it would happen during the draft or right after the draft.

It's like we are always waiting for the next chip to fall and it never falls. Also Suns coverage has not been up to par locally IMO. I can never get enough nuts and bolts news.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You bring up a good point. I'm about to tear my hair out.

Maybe it's because we have been waiting so long for the Suns to fill their need at point guard... one of their biggest needs. I thought it would happen during the draft or right after the draft.

It's like we are always waiting for the next chip to fall and it never falls. Also Suns coverage has not been up to par locally IMO. I can never get enough nuts and bolts news.

I really didn't get too wrapped up in the point guard search. We were horrible at the 1, the 4 and the 5 and shaky at times at both the 2 and the 3. I just wanted to see some improvement in the roster and hopefully we have. It would have been nice to solve all our problems in one offseason but we had too many for that to be more than a fantasy IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really didn't get too wrapped up in the point guard search. We were horrible at the 1, the 4 and the 5 and shaky at times at both the 2 and the 3. I just wanted to see some improvement in the roster and hopefully we have. It would have been nice to solve all our problems in one offseason but we had too many for that to be more than a fantasy IMO.

If the Suns had solved both their need at center and PG, I would have been willing to call it a day. Now the Suns have Ariza and Anderson at PF and still no PG. They even wanted Redick.

Maybe the Suns never considered the PG position a priority, however, it would have been nice if they told us.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns had solved both their need at center and PG, I would have been willing to call it a day. Now the Suns have Ariza and Anderson at PF and still no PG. They even wanted Redick.

Maybe the Suns never considered the PG position a priority, however, it would have been nice if they told us.

I'm sure they did consider it a priority along with the other holes in the roster. But what we want and what's available doesn't always line up. We still have a glaring need for a well rounded starter quality point guard but I'd rather have that hole than overpay for mediocrity or worse. We're going nowhere without a good point guard but we're not going very far with anything less than that so why give away value?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they did consider it a priority along with the other holes in the roster. But what we want and what's available doesn't always line up. We still have a glaring need for a well rounded starter quality point guard but I'd rather have that hole than overpay for mediocrity or worse. We're going nowhere without a good point guard but we're not going very far with anything less than that so why give away value?

I can buy this but but I'm not sure McDonough does.

IMO, he is on the hot seat if the Suns do not play well this season even though they are waiting for 2019 free agency to roll around. My hope is he does not overpay as we fear.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The coverage expands every year. That's my theory. I think Booker being maxed out helps build the hype also since he is officially our franchise player now. We also have a new head coach that is supposed to be a qualified head coach, which is something we've lacked for 7 or 8 years now and there is a lot to look forward to. When you add in how anxious most of us are to see the first #1 overall pick in Suns history play and we're at peak anticipation.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think they've been minimizing back to backs, then no more of the 3 games in 4 nights or 4 game in 5 nights, whichever was the deal that led teams in the belief of rest. Which was a big subject the NBA has been trying rectify due to fans being upset that their favorite player is resting.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I think they've been minimizing back to backs, then no more of the 3 games in 4 nights or 4 game in 5 nights, whichever was the deal that led teams in the belief of rest. Which was a big subject the NBA has been trying rectify due to fans being upset that their favorite player is resting.
Yup. Last year was the first to cut preseason in half and start the season 2 weeks early. And then Gordon Hayward happened. Coincidence?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We were religiously starting on Halloween, or the night before for years. However the NBA and the Players Union started the season earlier in an attempt to try and minimize so many back to backs in the schedule starting last year or the year before, I think.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McDonough says Chriss was not a good fit with Ayton. The Suns needed a PF to spread the floor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson