Pick up games, training camp news

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some comments from a Kevin Zimmerman article at Arizona Sports (99.7 FM) regarding how Kokoskov's offense will operate.

Here are some excerpts:

“In many ways, it was the same way we played in Utah the last three years,” Kokoskov said of Phoenix’s offense. “We use that term ‘blender.’ Put them in a blender. Drive-and-kick and (an) extra pass … attacking from all different angles. Let ’em figure (it) out so it’s not one guy on a spotlight and everybody else standing and watching.

“When the ball is moving and bodies moving, it creates confusion. Now when the ball goes to Book’s hands or (Trevor) Ariza or any of the guys, he can put them in a blender. It’s not necessarily all spotlights and all lights are going to be on Booker. We don’t play that kind of basketball.”

“Constant movement,” Suns forward T.J. Warren said. “The ball’s finding the right guy every time down the floor, the ball’s not really sticking. It’s a fun offense when everybody’s touching the ball and everybody’s getting the shot they want.”

http://arizonasports.com/story/1677...lenge-flagstaff-kokoskov-offense-reactionary/

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Here are some comments from a Kevin Zimmerman article at Arizona Sports (99.7 FM) regarding how Kokoskov's offense will operate.

Here are some excerpts:

“In many ways, it was the same way we played in Utah the last three years,” Kokoskov said of Phoenix’s offense. “We use that term ‘blender.’ Put them in a blender. Drive-and-kick and (an) extra pass … attacking from all different angles. Let ’em figure (it) out so it’s not one guy on a spotlight and everybody else standing and watching.

“When the ball is moving and bodies moving, it creates confusion. Now when the ball goes to Book’s hands or (Trevor) Ariza or any of the guys, he can put them in a blender. It’s not necessarily all spotlights and all lights are going to be on Booker. We don’t play that kind of basketball.”

“Constant movement,” Suns forward T.J. Warren said. “The ball’s finding the right guy every time down the floor, the ball’s not really sticking. It’s a fun offense when everybody’s touching the ball and everybody’s getting the shot they want.”

http://arizonasports.com/story/1677...lenge-flagstaff-kokoskov-offense-reactionary/

No wonder Knight and Chriss got traded.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Honestly the guy who will be a great fit in all this is TJ Warren. He's got the best feel for moving without the ball on the team and this sounds tailor made for him.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly the guy who will be a great fit in all this is TJ Warren. He's got the best feel for moving without the ball on the team and this sounds tailor made for him.
Yes. As long as TJ will pass it on occasion. But the ball does not stick in his hands. In that way he is perfect for this.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No wonder Knight and Chriss got traded.

These are my thoughts as well. The Suns couldn't have Chriss jamming up the middle and Knight not passing the ball.

Maybe the Suns do not need a PG as much as I thought if there is a lot of ball movement. Still I will like to add a veteran PG unless Kokoskov is content with the Suns situation.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In all the pics from media day and training camp, it’s pretty disappointing to see Josh Jackson coming in looking around the same as he did last year physically. He may have actually even lost some weight. I really thought one of his main off season goals was to get stronger.

Sucks to see a guy like Tatum look significantly bigger and stronger over the summer and Jackson looks basically complacent.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all the pics from media day and training camp, it’s pretty disappointing to see Josh Jackson coming in looking around the same as he did last year physically. He may have actually even lost some weight. I really thought one of his main off season goals was to get stronger.

Sucks to see a guy like Tatum look significantly bigger and stronger over the summer and Jackson looks basically complacent.

He's said he gained 6 pounds of muscle. His plan was to gain 10 pounds of muscle before the season but he wanted to make sure he put it on the right way and not just bulk up. Where he's at might be where he feels most comfortable and that it would be sustainable. That was another thing he mentioned previously. That it does no good to add weight he can't keep.

Here is video of him mentioning the added muscle. Can't find the article from early this offseason about adding 10 pounds though. I know it's been posted on the board somewhere though.

Jackson said he's put on about 6 pounds of muscle and plans on shooting at least 32% from 3 this year. The weight is good, IMO. He mentioned his plans for that early in the offseason, glad to see he's held to it. The shooting could be better but that's a realistic and obtainable goal for him so I won't knock him for it. 32% would be a good improvement for him but is probably the lowest you want someone to shoot if they're taking 3 or 4 a game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's said he gained 6 pounds of muscle. His plan was to gain 10 pounds of muscle before the season but he wanted to make sure he put it on the right way and not just bulk up. Where he's at might be where he feels most comfortable and that it would be sustainable. That was another thing he mentioned previously. That it does no good to add weight he can't keep.

Here is video of him mentioning the added muscle. Can't find the article from early this offseason about adding 10 pounds though. I know it's been posted on the board somewhere though.
Good to hear but he just doesn’t look it at all. Perhaps he just has a frail body frame.

League is trending towards most SFs weighing around 215-230 lbs at least and especially for the Suns who might be playing the wing players at the 4 quite a bit as well.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I like the idea of an offense that is not reliant on a PG. It would be nice if the current guys worked out.

I hope Whoever we sign with our cap space is a veteran with

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
See that. That is about the new offense. Bender will not be standing in the corner the entire time.

I'd love to believe, but isn't this a fairly standard shooting drill? Honestly the thing we need from him is to show more aggressiveness as soon as he catches the ball; either shoot with confidence, drive hard, or move the ball quickly. Try to be a threat.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
JJ is bending slightly. He looks like he has grown. Looks like he is the same height as Anderson. That would make him 6-10.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JJ is bending slightly. He looks like he has grown. Looks like he is the same height as Anderson. That would make him 6-10.

A 6'10" Jackson would be a monster on the court.