Pick me a Premier League club to follow

Which Premier League club should I become a fan of?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Ah, you've chosen poorly indeed. I was going to keep it civil about Sunderpuke, but English simply could not. So, you've chosen the nancy boys that always wish they were Newcastle, but simply end up their redheaded stepchildren. At least Newcastle made the last 8 of a major European tourney last season. When's the last time Sunderpuke was in a European tourney, English?

Ah the classic Mag response 'oh but we have played in Europe more recently'. ...but won sweet FA in the process.

It's all you have to cling too. A club that has to keep telling people its a big club. Big clubs don't have to do that, they let their history do that for them.

You will have a long long night if it's a comparison between our two clubs you are after. Newcastle up until about 10 years ago had pretty much dominated Sunderland through the 90's. So it seems that any new fans or those under the age of 30 have this superiority complex fostered by too much sucking on the **** of their deluded bretheren .

Oh and the 73/74 season since you asked. They year after we won the cup, the last time either of our clubs won a major trophy by the way.

I could of crow about the last time we played and beat you 0-3 at your place, the record victory between out clubs (1-9 to us at you place too), the team that won the league more (us 6), the highest ever attendance (us 75000).... Oh I could go on and on....

That just between us two mind you. As I said we have been pretty average in my life time flip flopping between the top two leagues. That's said we have been in the premier league for the last 7 season and we have Jozy ;-)

I still love you Stout mind.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have we declared a winner in this dispute yet?

Attachments

• sunderland-newcastle.jpg
    sunderland-newcastle.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 53

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Is this the best you got?

It only has to beat Sunderpuke, so yes :D

Will be mildy interesting to see how this season plays out for the two clubs. :)

Seriously. We both added a lot of talent--many of ours came in the January window. I can honestly say, if things break our way, we can challenge for Europe. Or we can be fighting relegation again. Safe to say the same for Sunderpuke too.

(spoiler alert - neither will be in contention for anything!)

Phooey! :D

Ah the classic Mag response 'oh but we have played in Europe more recently'. ...but won sweet FA in the process.

It's all you have to cling too. A club that has to keep telling people its a big club. Big clubs don't have to do that, they let their history do that for them.

You will have a long long night if it's a comparison between our two clubs you are after. Newcastle up until about 10 years ago had pretty much dominated Sunderland through the 90's. So it seems that any new fans or those under the age of 30 have this superiority complex fostered by too much sucking on the **** of their deluded bretheren .

Oh and the 73/74 season since you asked. They year after we won the cup, the last time either of our clubs won a major trophy by the way.

I could of crow about the last time we played and beat you 0-3 at your place, the record victory between out clubs (1-9 to us at you place too), the team that won the league more (us 6), the highest ever attendance (us 75000).... Oh I could go on and on....

That just between us two mind you. As I said we have been pretty average in my life time flip flopping between the top two leagues. That's said we have been in the premier league for the last 7 season and we have Jozy ;-)

I still love you Stout mind.

Oh, I still love you too :D

Yeah, I can go back and dig up stats to use against you too. Impressive that you last won a trophy a few short years after we last won a trophy, 30 odd years ago. Big accomplishment there.

Fact is, neither of our clubs are big, neither of them will ever perennially compete for anything, but we'll each, on occasion, have those big seasons.

Have we declared a winner in this dispute yet?

As I recall, Napoleon is much tougher than Kip and slaps him down ;)

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A really strange thread. Not sure how I feel about picking a team this way, but each to their own. Not sure how many of you are based in the UK, but it's interesting to read people's opinions on teams and fans. Here are my thoughts on the options

Arsenal - They are obviously consistently good and not going to relegated anytime soon, but if they don't spend all you'll see is 3rd/4th place. Their fans love to moan (even when doing well) and barely make a sound when at thr Emirates. They go for a 'matchday experience' as opposed to support their team. Still, they would be my choice as they are the most likeable of the top teams IMO.

Villa - Couldn't find a more boring, non-existent team, if you tried. I couldn't imagine supporting something so averagly dull.

Cardiff - Close to scum. Horrible fans and have recently sold their soul for money.

Chelsea - Used to be scum, but are slightly better now I'd say. Fans are like to give it large, but they've become a right set of corporate fans recently. At least they make some noise when away.

Evereton - Always stay up, often in top half recently. Much nicer than Liverpool. Seem fine, passionate fans.

Fulham - Used to enjoy the US players they had, but they're also a bit of a nobody team. NO history at all. Nothing.

Sunderland - Not forgiven them for 1973, and I wasn't even alive ;-) Passionate fans, but not much to them. Could go down again in a couple of years, could stay up. Can't really see them making any major waves at the top though. Fans aren't as good as they like to think they are (same with Newcastle).

Spurs - Can't stand them. They have apparently been shifting the power in North London for years, yet still manage to finish below Arsenal. Fans can be noisy at times, but not often enough, They were sort of like Villa in the sense mid table was their home until the last few years. Still, they will settle back down to boredom soon enough.

Out of all the teams, I'd pick Arsenal - only because they aren't Chelsea, Scum (Man United), Liverpool or Spurs.

I'm a Leeds fan though and everyone f*ck1ng hates us. I wouldn't have it any other way!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found it very rewarding not picking a team. shut it Mulli

It is nice watching 5-10 matches per week of whatever is on and seeing games from just about every team in the league. I tend to watch more of the top 5 or 6 teams in the league, but I also like watching the relegation battle each year.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found it very rewarding not picking a team. shut it Mulli

It is nice watching 5-10 matches per week of whatever is on and seeing games from just about every team in the league. I tend to watch more of the top 5 or 6 teams in the league, but I also like watching the relegation battle each year.

I find it hard to follow sports when there's no relationship to the team. I guess I do that with American football, but I'm the most dispassionate football fan I've ever known. I don't have the same quasi-scientific love affair with soccer. I think the culture is more appealing to me than the game, but I'm willing to put that to the test by getting involved with a team.

Attachments

• arsene.jpg
    arsene.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 38

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I have to admit that I am really interested in the cultural aspects and I think at some level you have to be involved emotionally to understand and appreciate the dynamic.
The other benefit for me is to have a better understanding of a sport I have not previously followed apart from a passing interest in the world cup and the Olympics.

I deeply appreciate the input of people in the UK that have a more organic sense of the team dynamics. I am about as far from that world as I can be. I grew up with the NBA- NFL while across the pond they grew up with soccer/football.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to admit that I am really interested in the cultural aspects and I think at some level you have to be involved emotionally to understand and appreciate the dynamic.
The other benefit for me is to have a better understanding of a sport I have not previously followed apart from a passing interest in the world cup and the Olympics.

I deeply appreciate the input of people in the UK that have a more organic sense of the team dynamics. I am about as far from that world as I can be. I grew up with the NBA- NFL while across the pond they grew up with soccer/football.

Exactly. I grew up being held emotional hostage by ASU football and Suns basketball. I did not get caught up in the very technical aspects of those sports until later, nor would I have if I had not suffered as a young fan trying to understand why my otherwise amazing teams did not live up to my lofty expectations.

I sense that is a primary requirement to love a sport -- you have to experience pain, horror and betrayal as much as you have to experience joy and (if you're lucky) the abstract entitlement of a perennial champion. Every sport has a similar narrative. I want to know the story of EPL, so I'm going to read a few chapters.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The story of the EPL (which sounds really weird by the way) is a rather short one. It's only been going 20 years, and many fans I know would count its start as the death of real football. Sky have a lot to answer for in their quest to kill the soul of the game. All they care about is money and their product. Don't get me wrong, I want to get back to the top division asap, but it isn't the same as it was. When you see the wages that some bit part players are on, it makes me a little sick.

It's a shame because I don't know any sport that has the passion as the beautiful game. I love it, just bloody love it. Away games are the best, the noise you try to make to out sing the other fans. Great fun. The best thing about the game is the rivalry you get with other teams. Nothing quite like beating your biggest rivals.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The story of the EPL (which sounds really weird by the way) is a rather short one. It's only been going 20 years, and many fans I know would count its start as the death of real football. Sky have a lot to answer for in their quest to kill the soul of the game. All they care about is money and their product. Don't get me wrong, I want to get back to the top division asap, but it isn't the same as it was. When you see the wages that some bit part players are on, it makes me a little sick.

It's a shame because I don't know any sport that has the passion as the beautiful game. I love it, just bloody love it. Away games are the best, the noise you try to make to out sing the other fans. Great fun. The best thing about the game is the rivalry you get with other teams. Nothing quite like beating your biggest rivals.

I think that's why the World Cup is so fascinating. Top talent out there, and while there is money involved, the players aren't getting any kind of salary out there. On the field, you're looking at the pure essence of the game. The fans are even better--such a celebration.

Domestics are fascinating, but every league has its problems. England has the money/officiating thing, Spain and Germany are extremely top heavy and Italy is just corrupt. It's a fine line.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score

All of this!

Football is so much more than the 'EPL' (uurgh) and I don't just mean the top flight. It's pyramid system is something you just don't get in American sport as far as I can tell.

There is nothing as heartaching in sport as a relegation. As Mil and I know to our cost.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of this!

Football is so much more than the 'EPL' (uurgh) and I don't just mean the top flight. It's pyramid system is something you just don't get in American sport as far as I can tell.

There is nothing as heartaching in sport as a relegation. As Mil and I know to our cost.

I'm learning this, and I think the NFL almost headed that direction in the 80s/90s where four teams were the only ones who could count on a championship and the rest of the league were (metaphorically) relegated to mostly misery. The biggest change, IMO, was NFLPA understanding that parity = more money in the pot for everyone. They agreed to things like a salary cap because they understood it would spread the money around.

Understand, TV *hated* this because TV wants dynasties. People with either love those teams or hate them, but they will always watch them in any market in any year.

It seems to me the EPL players need to learn this lesson and take ownership of their portion of the league.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I grew up being held emotional hostage by ASU football and Suns basketball. I did not get caught up in the very technical aspects of those sports until later, nor would I have if I had not suffered as a young fan trying to understand why my otherwise amazing teams did not live up to my lofty expectations.

I sense that is a primary requirement to love a sport -- you have to experience pain, horror and betrayal as much as you have to experience joy and (if you're lucky) the abstract entitlement of a perennial champion. Every sport has a similar narrative. I want to know the story of EPL, so I'm going to read a few chapters.

Maybe I am just changing as a fan. I grew up loving and feeling the pain of the Suns, ASU, and the Cards and while I admit having passion for one team is great and all, I just do not have the same close proximity with fans of the BPL living in the valley. I know what it is like to have that connection, just not with any BPL team or any World team for that matter.

I agree with Chap and the World Cup. I watched nearly every game of the WC, last couple Champions League seasons and the Confed Cup.

It allows me to take a step back and watch good football for what it is, good football. Sure, having the emotions of an entire fan base can enrich the experience. You just get a different perspective watching it without much of an emotional attachment.

I wish American Sports had a relegation aspect to them. If we have 200+ teams in such a short proximity to each other all playing the same sport, it would make sense. It just doesn't here. Maybe it might in 50 years.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am just changing as a fan. I grew up loving and feeling the pain of the Suns, ASU, and the Cards and while I admit having passion for one team is great and all, I just do not have the same close proximity with fans of the BPL living in the valley. I know what it is like to have that connection, just not with any BPL team or any World team for that matter.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/arizonagooners/

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glory hunter :D

...you know you have just picked the Cowboys or Niners in NFL terms. Tsk.
number1.gif

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? Disgruntled much? Arsenal as the Cowboys or 49ers?

I think Manchester United and Chelsea hold that distinction MUCH more than Arsenal.
He is just kidding, Admiral and Lord Chapperton. He gave me the same razz when I gave up on Sundy because Arsenal was a funner team to follow. Seemed like NO ONE ever mentioned Sundy in podcasts or when reviewing EPL news. That and Sundy seemed to ALWAYS lose in dramatic fashion like the Cardinals.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Huh? Disgruntled much? Arsenal as the Cowboys or 49ers?

I think Manchester United and Chelsea hold that distinction MUCH more than Arsenal.

Maybe for the 49ers as both Manchester United & Chelsea have a legit title shot this year

I think the Cowboys are a fairly good example though ... money club, very identifiable organizational face, fancy new stadium, players that disapoint the expectations of their fanbase, competative but no one really thinks they are a true title contender despite the real glory years getting smaller in the rear view mirror each season (although Arsenal is closer to thier championship years)

Even lessor members of "the big four" as based on current competativeness can't get away with saying that they aren't the same as the popular "glory" clubs in other organizations

Nothing to be insecure about .... but very much the truth

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard