Pick me a Premier League club to follow

Which Premier League club should I become a fan of?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Followed international soccer for years, have family members now associated in distant ways to the US team, and grew up watching NASL. Recently started following MSL and always find a way to watch the biggest matches (most recently, La Liga).

Now that PL is on NBC, I guess I need to actually pick a club. My family name is British in origin -- we think from the UK East Coast -- but I've never felt a familial connection to, say, Newcastle or Sunderland.

Here's your chance. Vote on one of 8 clubs. On Sept. 1, I'll root for the team you choose. I promise to be as obnoxious and uninformed as any serious sports fan can be. If the colors aren't lame, I may even purchase club gear and post a photo of me wearing it in this thread.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gooners! (Arsenal) :)

Used to play in a place called Highbury the Library.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can also vote for more than one club, but I may be swayed by the one-club voters. I respect and admire blind allegiance to sports teams, especially if their fandom can be defined by constant heartbreak. That's what I'm most familiar with.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gooners! (Arsenal) :)

Used to play in a place called Highbury the Library.

My niece and nephew played for the U.S. extension of Barcelona. It was so cool to have real Barcelona coaches showing up for training sessions.

They've both moved to Arsenal now, and I was very disappointed to learn there is no connection to the actual club.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Fulham, Michael Jackson statue out in front of the stadium. They have a decent squad, just bought by billionaire Jaguars owner, so American owned. Hopefully that means increased budget.

Star of the team is Dimitar Berbatov. They have some other good players like Brede Hangeland, Bryan Ruiz and lots of young talent.

Not the sexiest team, but fun to watch... sometimes.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stoke. Home of what, 5 US players now?

I had considered that method in the past, but it's not something you can cling to for long. I'd rather root for a club than players. I'm in it for the world-class football and novelty of following a team through thick and thin and thinner.

Stoke City is still an interesting choice. Delilah is an excellent football chant.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'd say Arsenal as well, but they pretty much frustrate the hell out of you every single summer. Their style is the closest you get to Barcelona in the Premiere League.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the Tuesday Club podcast is a hilarious podcast done by devote Arsenal fans. If you are into that sort of thing. :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any reason why you narrowed it down to the choices you selected?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any reason why you narrowed it down to the choices you selected?I like all EPL teams.
safe.gif

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Follow Man City. Pellegrini is coaching them and he coaches a fun, attacking style.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I need help with this as well.

I watch the world cup but that is about it so far.

I like the more attacking style but I guess I was just looking for a rundown of the various teams and coaches someplace.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I need help with this as well.

I watch the world cup but that is about it so far.

I like the more attacking style but I guess I was just looking for a rundown of the various teams and coaches someplace.

Attacking Style:
England: Arsenal
Germany: Bayern Munich
France: PSG
Spain: Barcelona
Italy: Juventus

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any reason why you narrowed it down to the choices you selected?

I tried to find a selection of clubs that would meet the general criteria:

1) Are not likely to be relegated. I like the system. I also like that I don't have to pick a club that spends its time just trying to keep their head above water. OTOH, I know there a couple on the list who have had that experience a time or two in recent history.

2) Isn't a bandwagon team. If you could choose which MLB team you root for, knowing what you know, could you honestly bring yourself to root for the Yankees or the Dodgers? I suppose I'm begging the chance I'll end up rooting for the Cubs-like component of the EPL, but that's the risk I'm willing to take to not be a sports fan donkey butt. I'm willing to expose myself to Sunderland, for example, which I suspect has some cosmic connection to the Buffalo Bills.

3) Don't have the ugliest uniforms ever. My bar is low for this, since there are so many frightening uniforms in the EPL. I didn't originally include Stoke City because their unis make me feel like I could order a Whataburger from the bench at halftime. I'm on the fence on that team, but I'll allow y'all to write a team in if you think it's worthwhile.

4) Doesn't have a fanbase made up entirely of hooligans or Arabian horse ranch owners. So ... No Liverpool. No ManU. Man City is sort of both.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sounds like Arsenal are the way to go. Plus, there are a few of us that are already fans--at least 3 that I know of (me, Mulli, Mathew81).

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Manchester teams are the ultimate bandwagon clubs.

You'll get no argument from me on this, but City should play some fun and enjoyable football under their new coach.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Arsenal are the way to go. Plus, there are a few of us that are already fans--at least 3 that I know of (me, Mulli, Mathew81).

Like I said -- no hooligans.

:dcr:

Kidding! Mathew81 is a nice guy.

:D

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I won't vote, because my obvious suggestion would be Newcastle United. They're the Cardinals of the league--tease you with greatness on occasion, and frustrate the hell out of you on others. Definitely not a bandwagon team. They have awesome team colors, too.

Cue the haters :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA