Pick me a Premier League club to follow

Which Premier League club should I become a fan of?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to find a selection of clubs that would meet the general criteria:

1) Are not likely to be relegated. I like the system. I also like that I don't have to pick a club that spends its time just trying to keep their head above water. OTOH, I know there a couple on the list who have had that experience a time or two in recent history.

2) Isn't a bandwagon team. If you could choose which MLB team you root for, knowing what you know, could you honestly bring yourself to root for the Yankees or the Dodgers? I suppose I'm begging the chance I'll end up rooting for the Cubs-like component of the EPL, but that's the risk I'm willing to take to not be a sports fan donkey butt. I'm willing to expose myself to Sunderland, for example, which I suspect has some cosmic connection to the Buffalo Bills.

3) Don't have the ugliest uniforms ever. My bar is low for this, since there are so many frightening uniforms in the EPL. I didn't originally include Stoke City because their unis make me feel like I could order a Whataburger from the bench at halftime. I'm on the fence on that team, but I'll allow y'all to write a team in if you think it's worthwhile.

4) Doesn't have a fanbase made up entirely of hooligans or Arabian horse ranch owners. So ... No Liverpool. No ManU. Man City is sort of both.

Chelsea and Arsenal has some interesting fans as well. From all of your criteria, I might say Tottenham.

Cardiff City was just brought up and so they will be in the relegation hunt most likely. Aston Villa, while being up forever were flirting with relegation until the last month or so.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check fans of any EPL team on twitter: oof, they all have hooligan factions. But only Arsenal has Mulli.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chelsea and Arsenal has some interesting fans as well. From all of your criteria, I might say Tottenham.

EPL clubs participated in a study on who has the richest fanbase. Chelsea was the top, and I don't think anyone was surprised by that. But Tottenham was right behind them, and that wasn't my perception from 5,000 miles away. Arsenal were third.

Not really how I'm judging teams, but I thought it was interesting.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EPL clubs participated in a study on who has the richest fanbase. Chelsea was the top, and I don't think anyone was surprised by that. But Tottenham was right behind them, and that wasn't my perception from 5,000 miles away. Arsenal were third.

Me either. Bale is giving Tottenham a lot of publicity lately.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arsenal third? Trophy time!

/s/ Arsene Wenger

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda agree with him that those are the 5 that are most important.

I think I would rank Champions League over the Premier league title,

1. Champions League
2. Premier
3. FA
4. Qualify for Champions League
5. League Cup.
Saying that qualifying is winning silver is embarassing.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I chose Chelsea because that is who I follow - which really didn't have too much to do with a selection process and it was pre-Roman .... I can definitely understand the backlash and why people wouldn't want to be a fan of theirs

I would lean towards a side that is a title contender (which is very narrow in the EPL) - these will also be the teams that get to play in the Champions League ...... that tournament is fun to follow a club team in

While a team like Cardiff City could be fun because they are in Wales - they have pretty much no shot at getting to the top of the table and will most likely be fighting to stay in the EPL

If you wanted to avoid the front runner look of Chelsea or Arsenal I would probably go with Tottenham ... typically a competative bunch that is trying to break into the top tier, some good rivalries, long history and a legit chance that they could make a periodic impact in the EPL

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most disappointing revelation so far while weighing the 4 votes for the Arsenal: Gervinho transferred to Roma, which means I can't start the Twitter account Gervinho's Forehead.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most disappointing revelation so far while weighing the 4 votes for the Arsenal: Gervinho transferred to Roma, which means I can't start the Twitter account Gervinho's Forehead.

Gervinho leaving is an addition by subtraction IMO. I really like Oxlade-Chamberlin and Gervinho leaving should free up some time for him to crack into the 1st team. He has shown mixed results with both Arsenal and England.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
After a cursory review of the teams I have made a mostly uninformed and precipitous choice.

I have no ill favor to any of the teams yet but I'll be rooting for Sunderland. Seems most likely for a Cardinals like promise and disappointment. But that is what makes watching a winning effort that much sweeter.

Has Gaddabout made his choice yet? Seems he was favoring Everton?

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a cursory review of the teams I have made a mostly uninformed and precipitous choice.

'Murica! Reminded me of my last election ballot.

Sunderland has Jozy. You made a good interim choice.

I have made my choice. I'm waiting on some fanatic to swoop in and try to sell me on their team ... because I'm really just looking to be entertained by EPL craziness.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
If it good honest passion then Sunderland is your way forward.

One of the worlds oldest clubs and the sixth most successful team in English football. It is fair to say though that we have been pretty average for the last 40 years. Last cup win was in 1973.

All that said we have an average of over 40000 which sits about 6th best on league averages. It's also fair to say our support out performs our success.

Having been a season ticket holder for the last 30 odd years I have seen some highs and awful lows (the worst being 1 year in the 3rd teir of English football)

The city and old industrial city which was built on mining and shipbuilding.

Main rival is Newcastle (aka the mags, the scum, the filth, the skunks, the great unwashed) and a quick trip to you tube should show you what all that's about.

Main site is safc.com
Main fan forum is http://www.readytogo.net/smb/forums/pure-footbal

The future is bright...choose red and white!!

Oh and if you need any SAFC stuff sent over, just give a shout.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score

I have no ill favor to any of the teams yet but I'll be rooting for Sunderland. Seems most likely for a Cardinals like promise and disappointment. But that is what makes watching a winning effort that much sweeter.

It's very much like being a Cards fan mate. The losing just makes that odd high oh so freaking glorious. It's was sport is about.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it good honest passion then Sunderland is your way forward.

One of the worlds oldest clubs and the sixth most successful team in English football. It is fair to say though that we have been pretty average for the last 40 years. Last cup win was in 1973.

All that said we have an average of over 40000 which sits about 6th best on league averages. It's also fair to say our support out performs our success.

Having been a season ticket holder for the last 30 odd years I have seen some highs and awful lows (the worst being 1 year in the 3rd teir of English football)

The city and old industrial city which was built on mining and shipbuilding.

Main rival is Newcastle (aka the mags, the scum, the filth, the skunks, the great unwashed) and a quick trip to you tube should show you what all that's about.

Main site is safc.com
Main fan forum is http://www.readytogo.net/smb/forums/pure-footbal

The future is bright...choose red and white!!

Oh and if you need any SAFC stuff sent over, just give a shout.

This is all very moving, but this is the primary problem I have with Sunderland:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Ah, you've chosen poorly indeed. I was going to keep it civil about Sunderpuke, but English simply could not. So, you've chosen the nancy boys that always wish they were Newcastle, but simply end up their redheaded stepchildren. At least Newcastle made the last 8 of a major European tourney last season. When's the last time Sunderpuke was in a European tourney, English?

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ah, you've chosen poorly indeed. I was going to keep it civil about Sunderpuke, but English simply could not. So, you've chosen the nancy boys that always wish they were Newcastle, but simply end up their redheaded stepchildren. At least Newcastle made the last 8 of a major European tourney last season. When's the last time Sunderpuke was in a European tourney, English?

:grabs:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score

Is this the best you got?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will be mildy interesting to see how this season plays out for the two clubs. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard