Phoenix Mercury have shot at second title!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diana Turasi is one of the Top 5 players in the game, she's like a female Kobe, the Suns do not have a player like this on their roster. Plus I don't think Kerr is the GM for the Mercury.

I say the same thing. She's totally the female version of Kobe on the court, right down to trying to do too much sometimes.

But she's a damn solid basketball player, regardless of gender.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I went to Google News and was actually reading about the series and could not believe that. They might as well just have a postseason tourney like the women's NCAA. They'll never have "Next" until they play a man's game - rules, number of games in a series, etc.

Hope your team wins 3 out of 5...

I'm out.

BIM

And the NBA NEVER played a best of 5 championship series?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the NBA NEVER played a best of 5 championship series?

Nope. The NBA Finals has always been best of 7.

Heck, even 62 years ago (in the then-called Basketball Association of America Finals) the Chicago Stags beat the Philadelphia Warriors 4-1.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best of 5 doesn't matter, it's a fine length. They play a very short season.

Best of 3 in the first two rounds though, IMO, is too short. And the number one seed starting on the road in those early rounds? That's very unfair. Of course, the Mercury came back home and won the last 2, but the top seed starting on the road in a best of three format is just asking for an upset.

But letting the format dissuade you from watching is silly. There is still a set number of games to win in order to advance, and at the end of the day there is only one winner. You're just missing some entertainment, that's all.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to my first game Friday. Got the free tickets this morning.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get tickets from my office. Won't know until tomorrow morning but I'd love to go.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish I didnt have to work tonight!

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Awesome, hell of a game. This was a great finals...I wish I could have made it to the game. My vote for this MVP is Taurasi, but either one is deserving.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Congratulations to the Mercury!

I went to the game with my daughters, was a really fun time. Shows them that they can do anything.

Bravo Ladies..

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was awesome...so much fun, we had seats by the baseline, 12th row. They had that place rocking, great atmosphere. DT's awesome block was right in front of us...it was great. She's such a good basketball player...she moves so much more fluidly than most of the other players out there.

Celebrating a championship is awesome, so glad my kids got to take part in that, catching confetti raining down and singing and dancing. Great time.

It was hilarious when they showed Fitz on the jumbotron and said "The Phoenix Mercury welcome Larry Fitzgerald" and the crowd erupted, and my wife and I said "what about poor Hightower (who was sitting next to him)? About a minute later, someone at the Merc got the memo and they had "The Phoenix Mercury welcome Tim Hightower" and he was just laughing. That was great. And good to see those guys out there supporting the team. Robin Lopez was near us too, on his crutches.

I know people don't like the WNBA for whatever their reasons, and it will never be remotely close to the NBA, but when I've been to games, I've been amazed at how much fun it is. I think I hit on it yesterday though - it has a college atmosphere. Everyone in the stands, and I mean everyone, is excited and into the game. Nobody is pretentious and worried they might get caught being boisterous and happy. It's just fun, and contagious. I really enjoy the atmosphere...it reminds me of the games at NAU.

Congrats to the Mighty Mercury!!

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
i got a text from KTAR and watched the last 5 minutes. it was pretty good basketball. That postgame interview on the trophy stand was hard to watch though with bad interview skills and seeing sarver. congrats mercury.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
They did it! More champs then the Suns have, do they do parades for the WNBA??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard