Per Bickley and MJ

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The nfl needs to re-evaluate and get rid of this stupid blackout rule... I like Goodell's directions in general and hope he really nix this rule especially in the light of economic conditions.

It's always been that way. It would be disaster for the owners & the league to lift the rule. Why would people pay to go see the games? Whats the #1 sport in America? Obviously what the league does in promoting its teams & league as a whole works.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's always been that way. It would be disaster for the owners & the league to lift the rule. Why would people pay to go see the games? Whats the #1 sport in America? Obviously what the league does in promoting its teams & league as a whole works.

What do you think the odds are of this being the solution:

"Sunday's game between the Chargers and Broncos is blacked out locally but is available on pay-per-view for $39.95."

Buckybird

Reaction score
What do you think the odds are of this being the solution:

"Sunday's game between the Chargers and Broncos is blacked out locally but is available on pay-per-view for $39.95."

it could work, but whats next? can you imagine paying $40 per game for 16 weeks instead of $350 for the sunday ticket? but duck that could be the future!!!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
it could work, but whats next? can you imagine paying $40 per game for 16 weeks instead of $350 for the sunday ticket? but duck that could be the future!!!

There has been a lot of talk about the NFL going all TV even but after hearing the players and coaches talk about how much a loud, enthusiastic crowd means to them I doubt it would ever happen.

But if Texas can get 100,000 people to buy tickets and still sell pay-per-view at $39.95 for their game vs Louisiana Monroe the NFL can't be far behind.

Buckybird

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about the NFL going all TV even but after hearing the players and coaches talk about how much a loud, enthusiastic crowd means to them I doubt it would ever happen.

But if Texas can get 100,000 people to buy tickets and still sell pay-per-view at $39.95 for their game vs Louisiana Monroe the NFL can't be far behind.

I think the college game is a differant audience, mostly students and kids who attended that school

Reaction score
I think the college game is a differant audience, mostly students and kids who attended that school
Not true. At the typical college stadium 3/4 of the fans in attendance are not students.

Take ASU for example, even if 50% of the Tempe campus student population went to the game, (and that's a very generous percent) they still wouldn't fill half of the seating in SDS.

Edit: I re-read your statement. On the first read I thought attend, not attended. Alumni do make up a major (if not majority) part of the attendance.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I don't know about others but I for one will never attend a game because it is blacked out... if I want to attend I will attend regardless. If I don't want to, these ridiculous rules will not make me. I wonder how many buy tickets because it is blacked out. It would be nice to see someone do an analysis on this.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't know about others but I for one will never attend a game because it is blacked out... if I want to attend I will attend regardless. If I don't want to, these ridiculous rules will not make me. I wonder how many buy tickets because it is blacked out. It would be nice to see someone do an analysis on this.
i don't think it's done so much for the fans but the local businesses that would lose advertising time on Cards games. It's probably an incentive to get them to pony up and buy the last few thousand tickets. I guess it may affect some fans but i'd bet the majority are in the same boat as you.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I don't think businesses buy that many. I can understand them buying last few hunderds remaining to help sellout but vast majority of tickets are bought by fans. If a game is only 50% sold out, the local businesses cannot buy 50%. They are trying to punish the fans, not the businesses.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
If I had the money, I'd be in town this weekend for the opener, especially with tickets available. Since I'm house poor, paying $$$ to send my kid to preschool, paying for the newborn's diapers, paying $$$ for my wife to go back to college, etc, its just not happening. But I'd love to be there to see that banner get raised. And this would be a great game to end my cards losing streak.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Similar Dynamic to Salary Cap Announcements

All throughout preseason, all we heard was that the Cards were sold out.

Suddenly there are 1,700 unsold tickets? What gives?

It reminds me of the annual salary cap Kabucki dance where it's announced that we have a gazillion dollars in cap space ony to discover right after the FA signing period is underway that we're at or over our cap ceiling.

The downside of promulgating the false illusion that we're sold out (when we actually aren't) is that a lot of fans who otherwise might have applied for tickets probably figured "why bother?" and are now either out of the market or have already spent any loose change on something else.

If there's a way for the Cardinal FO to prevent this from becoming an reoccuring problem, they should take the necessary steps to stop it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All throughout preseason, all we heard was that the Cards were sold out.

Suddenly there are 1,700 unsold tickets? What gives?

It reminds me of the annual salary cap Kabucki dance where it's announced that we have a gazillion dollars in cap space ony to discover right after the FA signing period is underway that we're at or over our cap ceiling.

The downside of promulgating the false illusion that we're sold out (when we actually aren't) is that a lot of fans who otherwise might have applied for tickets probably figured "why bother?" and are now either out of the market or have already spent any loose change on something else.

If there's a way for the Cardinal FO to prevent this from becoming an reoccuring problem, they should take the necessary steps to stop it.

The best way that they can prevent this from becoming a reoccurring problem is to keep winning.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals do not make all the seats available to season ticket holders. They keep 4,000 single game tickets (not sure of the number) available for the the public. I don't think all NFL teams do this. But this also then means that not all games will be sold out. This is somewhat confusing, but can result in a local blackout.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals do not make all the seats available to season ticket holders. They keep 4,000 single game tickets (not sure of the number) available for the the public. I don't think all NFL teams do this. But this also then means that not all games will be sold out. This is somewhat confusing, but can result in a local blackout.

There are still a limited number of season tickets available last I heard.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I like the blackout rule for the NFL in some cases. it sucks for the hometeam, but I like the rule only if the hometeam drops the prices of tix. I remember when the cowboys were being led by QCAR jones was selling family tix packages for 100$ including food and drink vouchers. that kept the sale-out streak alive because believe it or not they were in danger of having a couple of games blacked out back then. now if these teams don't want to drop the tix prices then the rule stinks really...really...bad. I like cowherd's opinion most of the time and I agree with his notion that you as a die hard fan should never overpay to watch a BAD team play when the ownership is not doing anything for the team or the fan...I have stuck by this philosophy for the texas rangers for many years.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure all teams keep some single seat tickets in reserve for individual game sales - it's not much and they go quickly, but they do it

not sure if it's an NFL rule or not, but the giants, pats, redskins, bears, etc all have incredible ticket sales and ticket demand but still go through the individual game sales each year

i've also heard that season tickets are still available

Lorenzo

Reaction score
it's a shame that the cards were in danger of blacking out the game. I think if they continue to win they will be fine. and a lot also depends on their opponent typically, but if they keep the winning alive they won't have to worry about who they play.

the game here in the cincy area looks like it may black out.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure all teams keep some single seat tickets in reserve for individual game sales - it's not much and they go quickly, but they do it

not sure if it's an NFL rule or not, but the giants, pats, redskins, bears, etc all have incredible ticket sales and ticket demand but still go through the individual game sales each year

true.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

You are correct. You can also get tickets if it is called a sell out about a few hours before the game starts at the stadium box office. Each team gets a certian amount of tickets to give to their families or friends. What ever is not used in that allotment can be bought at the box office right before the game. And they are always really good seats.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yep - this just happened with the seahawks opener - the rams returned some of their allotment and viola, good tickets available

which confirms that even family and friends of the rams have no interest in seeing them play...........

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
yep - this just happened with the seahawks opener - the rams returned some of their allotment and viola, good tickets available

which confirms that even family and friends of the rams have no interest in seeing them play...........

But wait! I thought winning a Super Bowl kept fans excited for a lifetime.

:D

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
From Somers' blog:

The Cardnals haven't announced a sell out yet, but I'm guessing they will avoid the local television blackout. The NFL gave the team a 24-hour extension until 1:15 this afternoon to sell tickets. Usually, the league doesn't grant an extension unless a sell out is probable.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's a shame that the cards were in danger of blacking out the game. I think if they continue to win they will be fine. [ and a lot also depends on their opponent typically, but if they keep the winning alive they won't have to worry about who they play.

the game here in the cincy area looks like it may black out.

That has really been irrelevant up till this point. They were selling out games against teams like the Lions when they sucked. Every single game at UofP has been sold out without a deadline extension until the Atlanta playoff game and this game. (The Rams game last year might have needed an extension, I don't really remember.)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
That has really been irrelevant up till this point. They were selling out games against teams like the Lions when they sucked. Every single game at UofP has been sold out without a deadline extension until the Atlanta playoff game and this game. (The Rams game last year might have needed an extension, I don't really remember.)
I didn't realize the atlanta game needed one. but you should know more about that than I...and good point. I do recall the cards doing excellent with tix sales at UofP....it is a great place to watch football. I think that they will be ok in the long run if they continue to compete like they have recently...now that they have a nice building. Building a new stadium clearly will raise tix sales regardless of the standing of the team. Phoenix already is a good NFL market.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison