Parra & Grace & Kershaw

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have never been more upset with our announcing crew than I am right now. Kershaw needed to be tossed from this game. Our guys have been thrown at over and over again. Kershaw threatened Parra last night and then threw a fast ball at his ribs.

Throwing at a player is one thing, but as soon as it is clearly intentional the ejection has to happen. Grace should know this and let go some of his 'old-school' bravado that is not in the best interests of this team.

Rant over.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Absolutely agree. You cant scream at a guy across the field; "WAIT TILL TOMORROW, YOU'LL FIND OUT" and then bean them the next day and not expect to be ejected. Warnings had already been issued. Kershaw was stupid, plain and simple.

Grace was way off base.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone on the MLB Network said it was a horrible to call to eject Kershaw.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Bull. Kershaw is a ******* and deserved to be tossed. When you openly threaten a batter and subsequently bean him the next day, what do you expect the umps to do? Shrug their shoulders?

I don't believe that was coincidental. And even if it was, he shouldn't be surprised. Kershaw painted the target square on his back.

BTW...that was Kershaw's 3rd ejection in his short career.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Yeah well, if he had just randomly hit someone in the 5th inning it would have been a horrible call. They like to ignore the facts.

- Both sides had already been warned
- Kershaw had threatened to do it
- He hit the guy he threatened

Considering those three facts, it would have been "horrible" to not eject him.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah well, if he had just randomly hit someone in the 5th inning it would have been a horrible call. They like to ignore the facts.

- Both sides had already been warned
- Kershaw had threatened to do it
- He hit the guy he threatened

Considering those three facts, it would have been "horrible" to not eject him.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0915-dodgers-diamondbacks-20110915,0,5148590.story

Tim Tschida, chief of the series' umpiring crew, said after the game that a specific warning was not issued before the game and none was required.

------------------------------

This was part of Grace's rant. He said he might have felt differently if there had been warnings at the start of the game. No warnings, one beaning, and the guy was tossed? Grace simply said "Back in the day, the pitcher would not have been ejected for hitting one batter ... then he would have had to worry about being beaned during his next at bat ... and he would have been beaned. That's how it was done."

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0915-dodgers-diamondbacks-20110915,0,5148590.story

Tim Tschida, chief of the series' umpiring crew, said after the game that a specific warning was not issued before the game and none was required.

------------------------------

This was part of Grace's rant. He said he might have felt differently if there had been warnings at the start of the game. No warnings, one beaning, and the guy was tossed? Grace simply said "Back in the day, the pitcher would not have been ejected for hitting one batter ... then he would have had to worry about being beaned during his next at bat ... and he would have been beaned. That's how it was done."

I was going off of Sutton who late in the game said; "Both sides had been warned."

But I shoulda known.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
If no warning: Shouldn't have been ejected. If someone had done what Parra did the night before against my team, I would want him beaned.

If there was a warning: Obviously he should be tossed.

I don't want baseball turning into the slumber party that football is. Let them settle things on the field.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I dont agree or disagree either way.

The only thing I think, is that Daron Sutton needs to go. Dude is terrible.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
I am pretty certain that Sutton and Grace stated that there was NO warning that is why they didn't agree with it. They stated had their been a warning than the ejection was warranted. In addition was what Kershaw said the night before really a threat?

I thought it was a bogus call but whatever. If it gives us a better chance to win I will roll with it. Unfortunately we still fell a little short.

In other news Dodgers fans are still horrible. Actually LA fans are pond scum!!!!

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
What a load of crap. Kershaw was painting the corners all game and then "miraculously" beaned the one guy who he was going off on the game before from the dugout?

No way thats a coincidence and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot IMO.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
MLB is sooooo messed up. What Selig has done with the umps is pathetically BAD! They continue to inject themselves into games in ways they never should. Upton's ejection last week was a classic example that occurs way too often throughout the league.
And yes, last night was also another pathetic example! Kershaw did NOT deserve to be tossed. Hell, the ball merely hit Parra's elbow - not his head! There was a time not too long ago where these sorts of things were decided by the players, on the field. NOT by baseball execs and umps! Clearly, after the game Wed night, MLB was in conversation with the umpire crew and most likely gave the order to toss Kershaw the second he hits Parra. That's WRONG!!!

What should've happend is there should've been a confrontation on the field between the players, and/or the next time Kershaw got up to bat, Hudson plunked him. He did NOTHING to deserve being tossed like that. Don't get me wrong, I hate the Dodgers and thought Kershaw was a total ass for getting all worked up over Parra's homerun trot the night before. However, the umps once again screwed up. MLB once again screwed up.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
it was settled on the field .... the night before

dodger reliever went high & inside - parra didn't like that

parra then takes him over the fence and admires it - dodgers didn't like that

you can chirp and do all that you want ..... but buttom line is if it bugs you that much you had another AB with parra that night

if you are so offended do something other than allow a single to the guy in the 10th and then walk him all the way around the bases for a loss

then he stings you again with a double the next night

only hit you had given up all night, 2 run lead, qualify for the win if held, perfect control all evening and you plunk a guy

of course he should be run .... especially after running his mouth the night prior with the very same officiating crew on the field to hear it all

no reason for anything to carry forward .... dodger were just pissed that this guy was working them & their team, ownership, etc is a mess playing in front of an empty stadium

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

you can chirp and do all that you want ..... but buttom line is if it bugs you that much you had another AB with parra that night

if you are so offended do something other than allow a single to the guy in the 10th and then walk him all the way around the bases for a loss

only hit you had given up all night, 2 run lead, qualify for the win if held, perfect control all evening and you plunk a guy

of course he should be run .... especially after running his mouth the night prior with the very same officiating crew on the field to hear it all

no reason for anything to carry forward .... dodger were just pissed that this guy was working them & their team, ownership, etc is a mess playing in front of an empty stadium

Couldn't disagree more with that entire post... and I would venture to say that anyone who played the game would also entirely disgree.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed. Parra settled it with the HR after nearly getting plunked in the head.

Kershaw's expulsion was warranted

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
and I disagree with the fake macho BS and posturing that people feel obliged to put into the game

given how much the D'backs have been thrown at this year, do think Parra should have played pattycake with the guy who just tossed him some chin music?

nope, he settled it by putting one over the fence

that is how you settle it on the field

if you don't like that and want to do something - he's right there .... quit chirping and actually do it

to wait a day until you have 2 run lead and protect your precious stats is chickenpoop

in the end it doesn't matter who won the game when you were upset .... if parra offended you that much drill him in the 10th

if it wasn't that important, shut your mouth and take your beating like a man

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
What a load of crap. Kershaw was painting the corners all game and then "miraculously" beaned the one guy who he was going off on the game before from the dugout?

Well I think the only ones that would argue no intent would be Kershaw, Mattingly, and Dodgers fans so your idiot assessment would be spot on. :D

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yeah ... I always find that to be kind of comical as well

absolutely pathetic listening to mattingly stumble his way through that last night

if you are so offended you have to throw at someone and it eats at you so much that you for some reason have to wait until the 3rd AB by this individual after said offense to plunk him ..... then at least man up and not try to give some long winded explanation of how it wasn't intentional

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
and I disagree with the fake macho BS and posturing that people feel obliged to put into the game

Clearly you have never played the game at a highly competitive level.... I can assure you that at times like this, there is nothing "fake" about the macho on display... ;)

given how much the D'backs have been thrown at this year, do think Parra should have played pattycake with the guy who just tossed him some chin music?
nope, he settled it by putting one over the fence

that is how you settle it on the field

Again, you couldn't be more wrong...

if you don't like that and want to do something - he's right there .... quit chirping and actually do it

to wait a day until you have 2 run lead and protect your precious stats is chickenpoop

First, don't get me wrong - Kershaw is a punk. Waiting to hit Parra was a bush-league move of the highest order. However, in the end he did hit him. He wasn't in the game the night before so it's ridiculous to go back to that game and suggest "he should've done something then."
Bottome line is he eventually manned up and hit Parra. Barely... on his elbow. There is no, none, zilcho justification for him being tossed - particularly since there wasn't even a warning first given.
These situations should never be handled by the umps. And not too long ago, they weren't. But to think a guy should automatically ejected simply because he plunked a guy?? What a joke...

in the end it doesn't matter who won the game when you were upset .... if parra offended you that much drill him in the 10th
if it wasn't that important, shut your mouth and take your beating like a man

Not sure what your point is here?? Again, it's totally b.s. that Kershaw waited to hit Parra. Most pitchers who did was Kershaw did the night before would have had the balls to hit Parra the first time he stepped to the plate. But, you don't eject players for being spineless. At least, that was never the case until now I guess...

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
So it's up to Kershaw to carry the flag for the entire dodgers organization

he wasn't the only one chirping the night prior

why couldn't someone else on the dodger "do the right thing" and hit parra in the 10th and save their best player from having to be the sacrificial lamb

it's completely fake and spineless

it's nothing more than the dodger having a crap season, being frustrated about it and then to add insult to injury having a guy like gerardo parra put a dagger in them when the unglamorous, bottom rung d'backs go and take the division they were supposed to have

being frustrated isn't an excuse to act like a bitch

and that's purely what it is

if you want to hit the guy - hit the guy

if not shut your mouth and play because you obviously weren't that offended to begin with

and again, it's not like the dodgers were without culpability the night prior ... it was an emotional at bat on both sides - just parra got the better of it

if you're pissed - do something about it when you get the chance and let the chips fall where they may

if it doesn't mean enough to you to do anything that game - then it's obviously not important enough to carry forward

instead, it's just frustrations boiling over because your team is garbage - let's not try to paint it like something noble or respectable

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So it's up to Kershaw to carry the flag for the entire dodgers organization

he wasn't the only one chirping the night prior

why couldn't someone else on the dodger "do the right thing" and hit parra in the 10th and save their best player from having to be the sacrificial lamb

Kershaw was the only pitcher who was "chirping", therefore the only one who had the ability to back up his words. Besides, what the heck does that have to do with the rationale for him being tossed??

it's completely fake and spineless

It's not fake, but most definitely spineless... and again, what does this have to do with the rationale for him being tossed??

it's nothing more than the dodger having a crap season, being frustrated about it and then to add insult to injury having a guy like gerardo parra put a dagger in them when the unglamorous, bottom rung d'backs go and take the division they were supposed to have

being frustrated isn't an excuse to act like a bitch

and that's purely what it is

if you want to hit the guy - hit the guy

if not shut your mouth and play because you obviously weren't that offended to begin with

and again, it's not like the dodgers were without culpability the night prior ... it was an emotional at bat on both sides - just parra got the better of it

if you're pissed - do something about it when you get the chance and let the chips fall where they may

Agreed. But, are you now suggesting that it was right to toss Kershaw because he didn't hit Parra in his first at-bat? Now that's an interesting angle!

if it doesn't mean enough to you to do anything that game - then it's obviously not important enough to carry forward

instead, it's just frustrations boiling over because your team is garbage - let's not try to paint it like something noble or respectable

Again, Kershaw was the only pitcher who was crying the game before, and therefore the only one who would be in a position to back up his words. Which he did, albeit in a bush-league manner. So, again, are you suggesting that it's ok to toss a player for not hitting a guy when "we" all believe he should have??

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score

He absolutely hit him on purpose. Too good to miss that bad on the first pitch against the guy he got pissed at and gave up a double to. Still shouldn't have been tossed if no prior warning IMO.

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
disagree with Kershaw being tossed. Let the players police themselves.

chickenhead

Reaction score
If a player threatened to hit a player and then did, I'm not surprised that the umps tossed the player in order to avoid further confrontation. Especially at Dodger Stadium. I didn't see this all happen so I'm not going to come out on one side or the other, but for those who don't think he should have been ejected because there wasn't a warning, do you think there should have been a warning?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson