Pace VS Suggs

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Thought it would be interesting to compare the two, keeping in mind, Suggs was not worth the #6 pick, but Pace obviously WAS worth the #18 pick.

Calvin Pace: 5th year senior, first ever 1st round draft pick out of Wake Forest.
29 sacks for -178 yards.
54 stops for losses of 223 yards.
5 forced fumbles.

Terrell Suggs: 20 year old junior, voted best defensive player in the nation, among others.
24 sacks for -171 yards.
31 1/2 stops for losses of 221 yards.
6 forced fumbles.

When you look at the numbers side by side, it doesn't look too bad eh?

Except Pace did it in a 5 year college career, and Suggs did it LAST YEAR.

Let's be fair...a common opponent LAST YEAR:

North Carolina,
Pace: 2 sacks-13 tackles-3 for loss.
Suggs: 4 sacks-7 tackles-5 for loss-forced 2 fumbles

I'm a little concerned that Pace had ZERO sacks against Northern Illinois and Navy last year.

I do hope Pace comes through for us.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lex
Thought it would be interesting to compare the two, keeping in mind, Suggs was not worth the #6 pick, but Pace obviously WAS worth the #18 pick.

Calvin Pace: 5th year senior, first ever 1st round draft pick out of Wake Forest.
29 sacks for -178 yards.
54 stops for losses of 223 yards.
5 forced fumbles.

Terrell Suggs: 20 year old junior, voted best defensive player in the nation, among others.
24 sacks for -171 yards.
31 1/2 stops for losses of 221 yards.
6 forced fumbles.

When you look at the numbers side by side, it doesn't look too bad eh?

Let's be fair...a common opponent LAST YEAR:

North Carolina,
Pace: 2 sacks-13 tackles-3 for loss.
Suggs: 4 sacks-7 tackles-5 for loss-forced 2 fumbles

I'm a little concerned that Pace had ZERO sacks against Northern Illinois and Navy last year.

Northern Illinois (fisrt game of the year) ran for like 350 yards against them and play actioned all day. I dont think he had a chance to sack anyone really.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Lex

I recall reading on another thread that Pace it the only Wake Forest 1st rounder since the AFL-NFL merger. Two other Deacons were taken 1st round way back when....

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
c'mon Lex -- Navy runs the wishbone. Pace did have two tackles behind the line of scrimmage in that game.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Pace VS Suggs

Originally posted by LVCARDFREAK
Northern Illinois (fisrt game of the year) ran for like 350 yards against them and play actioned all day. I dont think he had a chance to sack anyone really.

Doesnt Navy almost strictly run as well dont they use a wishbone even at times or am I wrong?

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Pace VS Suggs

Originally posted by Shane H
Doesnt Navy almost strictly run as well dont they use a wishbone even at times or am I wrong?

Same situation plus WF ran up a huge half time lead then let Navy storm back with something like 30 unanswered points. WF still won but it was almost exclusivly a running game on both sides of the ball

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lex

Of course, Pace only played in 4 of those years.....:)

OP
OP
Lex

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Fair enough...
Calvin Pace 2002:
Northern Illinois 0 sacks-17 tackles-2 for loss
East Carolina 1 sack-6 tackles-2 for loss
NC State 1 sack-7 tackles-4 for loss
Purdue Made a crucial fourth down pass deflection.
Duke 2 sacks-13 tackles-2 for loss
North Carolina 2 sacks-8 tackles-3 for loss
Navy 0 sacks-9 tackles-2 for loss--broke leg

But Suggs played that soft Pac 10 schedule.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This whole thread is silly for two reasons:

1. We now know the Cards didn't want Suggs.
2. Suggs played mostly on the way outside edge to get a clean run at the passer. According to McGinnis, Pace played straight up on the RT in a read-and-react scheme.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
This whole thread is silly for two reasons:

1. We now know the Cards didn't want Suggs.
2. Suggs played mostly on the way outside edge to get a clean run at the passer. According to McGinnis, Pace played straight up on the RT in a read-and-react scheme.

He played De in a 3-4 scheme, which is actually much harder to get sacks from since he had to take on a tackle a lot closer.

Suggs lined up way off the tackle, so he is in a much better position to rush the passer. In fact that's why eleven NFL teams, most needing an edge rusher, passed on him. Eleven teams agreed that he is not a typical defensive end or a good enough end to warrant using a top ten pick.

Lex....this goes down as your single dumbest argument. Some of your other arguments have had some merit, but this is apples and oranges, like comparing a OLB's numbers to a tackle.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex, Pace broke his leg(fibula) in the Navy game early last year which is why he didn't have any sacks in all likelihood. He did come back and play in their bowl game. Hopefully the leg is healed, as I mentioned the Raiders had an "injury asterisk" on their chart for him.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion

Well then he'll feel perfectly at home in our boring-ass read/react scheme!!!!!!

:)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
Well then he'll feel perfectly at home in our boring-ass read/react scheme!!!!!!

:)

True! I really hate our scheme. I Mac could bring in a coordinator that ran a different scheme from his own scheme.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The scheme we run is one of the main reasons for our lack of pass rush and sack totals.I like what DL coach JOhn Teerlick(sp.) ran.His attitude was worry about the run on the way to the quarterback.When you think about it,it's amazing Rice has the sack totals he did for us.Sure,he freelanced at times but he still played in the scheme most of the time.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan
The scheme we run is one of the main reasons for our lack of pass rush and sack totals.I like what DL coach JOhn Teerlick(sp.) ran.His attitude was worry about the run on the way to the quarterback.When you think about it,it's amazing Rice has the sack totals he did for us.Sure,he freelanced at times but he still played in the scheme most of the time.

Nooooo....Rice freelanced MOST of the time. That's why his sack total was so high, not because he is that dominant.

FrontRow

Binge Drinker
Reaction score
Does anyone have the 1st round DE's combine info?

I would love to see a comparision of strength-10 yd. times etc.

TXCardinalsFan

Feeling no pain
Reaction score
If Mean-Joe can convert this Wake boy, then we'll have a couple of good DEs. Wakefield is a good back up and look what Mean-Joe did for him. If we can get the same growth out of Pace as he did Wakefield, then we will have a good draft acquisiton.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn