Pac 10 to invite half of Big 12 to join?

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
The Pac 10 played it smart by inviting CU first. It kept the possibility of the Texas schools having to drag Baylor along from happening. It also set the Pac 10 up for a nice plan B, which is to invite Utah and stay at 12 teams if things fall through.

I agree. Getting Colorado also helped speed up the demise of the Big 12 (if it happens). I also agree that Utah and Colorado are the best fits for the PAC 10, for the reasons you stated.

I'd love to see the PAC-16 come about, but I'd be happy with the PAC-12 for now.

Whatever happens, it's only a matter of time until the Big 12 implodes. Missouri would be gone to the Big 10 today if they could. Texas Tech would vote to join the PAC-10 at tomorrow's regents meeting if they weren't shackled to the whims of the Longhorns.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Pac 10 played it smart by inviting CU first. It kept the possibility of the Texas schools having to drag Baylor along from happening. It also set the Pac 10 up for a nice plan B, which is to invite Utah and stay at 12 teams if things fall through.

Part of me is sorta hoping for a Pac 12. Utah and Colorado have a lot more in common with the rest of the Pac geographically as well as culturally than Oklahoma or Texas institutions. While the money would likely be less, it keeps ASU and UA from having to go into a murderers row.

The only trick is how do you split the conference into 2 divisions? Obviously everyone wants to go to SoCal as much as possible, so I think this is the way we'd see it split (or something along these lines anyhow):

A:
ASU
UCLA
Cal
Wash
Oregon
Utah

B:
UA
USC
Stanford
Wazzu
OSU
Colorado

I'm not sure that having two colleges from the same city/state in opposing divisions a la MLB works. I thought a Pac 12 would look more like this:

North
Cal
Stanford
Oregon
OSU
Wash.
WSU

South
USC
UCLA
ASU
UofA
Utah
Colorado

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'm not sure that having two colleges from the same city/state in opposing divisions a la MLB works. I thought a Pac 12 would look more like this:

North
Cal
Stanford
Oregon
OSU
Wash.
WSU

South
USC
UCLA
ASU
UofA
Utah
Colorado

Im not sure that works, it seems like scheduling wise you'd have a hissy fit from the "North" teams losing access to Southern California. Though I guess if you went to a 10 game conf schedule it would work...I dunno, all this expansion talk has made my brain tired!

Plus your system makes keeping secondary rivalries like Stanford-SC and Cal-UCLA in tact extremely difficult if not impossible.

I think the zipper/serpentine system is the best.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
This is the most amazing circle jerk ever, this is epic.

You couldn't write this story and have anyone believe it if it was a book.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Why be creative when you can be lazy and ask the OP to post a link? Its kind of common courtesy, but I know they dont teach that at the Harvard of the West.

HooverDam

Reaction score
You can always be creative and find whatever info you need. Maybe not actually.

I wonder how they divide up the conference and where the conference football championship game goes (Phoenix has the only warm weather city with the required facilities as of today).

Glendale ought to host both the Football title game and the basketball championship game. Though with attendance as low as it is for the Pac 10 tourney, I suppose Vegas could make a play to have it in the Thomas and Mack Center. But its lack of suites would I assume be an issue. Additionally maybe if Sam Boyd stadium was expanded up to 45K seats or so (I think its like 36 right now) that would be enough for a Pac 10 title game. Its not like Pac 10 fans are as rabid as SEC or Big 12 fans and travel as much. But again, lack of suites would be an issue.

As far as the divisions, I think like I said before we'll see a zipper format:

A:
UCLA
CAL
ASU
Oregon
Washington
Utah

B:
USC
Stanford
UA
OSU
Wazzu
Colorado

Then you have guaranteed games against your natural rival and it keeps together the Ore-Wash, Cal-UCLA, Stanford-SC rivalries. It also could create new ASU-UU and UA-CU rivalries down the road. Everyone gets to make at least 1 roadie to SoCal per year, so everyone should be satiated. It seems to be the only equitable system.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Get ready for road trips to SLC and Boulder.

Went to Boulder for the last ASU game a couple years back. Of all the road games I've gone to, the fans in Boulder were by far the rudest. It was an endearing mix of hicks and spoiled rich kids in north face gear. I enjoy the friendly back and forth with opposing teams, and almost all are respectful. (Was especially impressed with the Georgia fans that traveled to Tempe, a very classy bunch) A couple losers tried to start a fight with some of my friends, fortunately the bouncer kicked his ass out. I was not impressed, Cali road trips have been much more entertaining. (Although UCLA kids are pretty ******* as well)

Heading to Wisconsin for the game up there this year, we'll probably lose, but it'll at least be entertaining.

HooverDam

Reaction score
^Boulders a one team town. Most fans in one sport towns suck I've found. Iowa City, Portland, Tucson, I've had issues. Chicago, LA, San Diego, St Louis, Kansas City, Indianapolis, etc., no problems. When you're whole sporting fandom is tied up in one team, I think you end up being a bit more on edge/rude.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
^Boulders a one team town. Most fans in one sport towns suck I've found. Iowa City, Portland, Tucson, I've had issues. Chicago, LA, San Diego, St Louis, Kansas City, Indianapolis, etc., no problems. When you're whole sporting fandom is tied up in one team, I think you end up being a bit more on edge/rude.
This is of course ridiculous, saying people from smaller cities are ruder? The fans that suck are drunk/stupid/overzealous/angry/etc. You can get find that anywhere. Not to mention Boulder is largely a suburb of Denver which has all the major sports and all sorts of activities to offer in any season.

Ever seen an Oakland Raiders crowd? They have the Warriors and A's also.

The notorious Philly fan? Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, Sixers.

Pretty sure one of the worst treatment I have received was in Tempe.

HooverDam

Reaction score
^Just going off personal experience, sorry. I am aware of the Oakland and Philly fans reputations, but I havent been to games in either of those places. So far the 1 sport town theory has held true for me, when it changes perhaps Ill re-evaluate the theory.

It has nothing to do with living in a smaller town making someone ruder, it has to do with someone having all their eggs in one basket. Look at the crazed fans in Big 12 and SEC country, they are from small towns where the only thing going on in that town is Alabama, Texas A&M or whatever.

Every group has a few bad apples, Phoenix, Tempe, ASU, etc are certainly no exception. But in my experience the one sport towns have been far noticeably worse.

So will Utah accept an invite?

Why on Earth wouldnt they?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Worst fans I have encountered in no particular order:
ASU
USC
New Mexico
UNLV
Rutgers

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Worst fans I have encountered in no particular order:
ASU
USC
New Mexico
UNLV
Rutgers

I'm surprised you have USC up there, I've been to three USC games and have found their fans to be annoying polite. Of course winning all the time makes it easier to be magnanimous, but I've always been pleasantly surprised at how easy going they've been.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised you have USC up there, I've been to three USC games and have found their fans to be annoying polite. Of course winning all the time makes it easier to be magnanimous, but I've always been pleasantly surprised at how easy going they've been.

Surprisingly it was not at a football game, it was at a basketball game of all things.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
So let me get this right...

The Big 10 has 12 schools,
The Big 12 has 10 schools...
and the Pac 10 has 11 schools.

Makes perfect sense.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Let's see - more money, more exposure, affiliation with superior academic institutions.

There's no reasons to decline the invitation. Utah would be the dumbest university in the country to not take this promotion.

Yep. As is, they may not even get a BCS auto-bid with Boise being added to the MWC. If the pac 10 comes knocking Utah would be stupid not to go.

Even if Utah leaves, I think the MWC is still a better conference that he WAC was.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard