Pac 10 to invite half of Big 12 to join?

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Announcement Date Set
by Chip Brown
Orangebloods.com

With Nebraska expected to formally announce later today it will join the Big 10, the wheels of the Pac-10 merger are officially in motion. In fact, sources have indicated to Orangebloods.com that four Big 12 South teams are locked and loaded to join the Pac-10 and an announcement date has been set. One Big 12 South school is still on the fence.

http://texas.rivals.com/

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Announcement Date Set
by Chip Brown
Orangebloods.com

With Nebraska expected to formally announce later today it will join the Big 10, the wheels of the Pac-10 merger are officially in motion. In fact, sources have indicated to Orangebloods.com that four Big 12 South teams are locked and loaded to join the Pac-10 and an announcement date has been set. One Big 12 South school is still on the fence.

http://texas.rivals.com/

According to Chip Browns Twitter Tuesday is the day.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The whole world is going to go upside down.

This will force the hand of the Big 10 and the SEC, if I am Missouri I go for either one.

I'm just really tired of all the this is Mizzou's fault, clearly everyone and their brother is salivating at this chance, if it is Mizzou's fault someone should buy them a beer instead of everyone jumping on the 40 lashes train.

Nebraska couldn't be happier, but it's our fault they left?

BS.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
JMO, but Oklahoma, Texas, OK. St. & Texas Tech are going to the PAC-10.

OK won't go to the SEC because they want to stay in a conference with Texas and Texas is NOT going to the SEC. Texas won't go to the Big 10 either.

The Horns don't want to play games in Illinois, Ohio and Michigan. They especially don't want to go Big 10 with their baseball and softball programs which are very important to that school.

I think A&M will eventually end up in the PAC because they still want to play Texas every year in all sports and if they jump to the SEC the Longhorns are going to tell A&M to take a flying you-know-what at a rolling donut when it comes to scheduling.

If A&M goes to the SEC, then the PAC takes Utah. I doubt anyone at the PAC 10 will shed a tear over losing A&M if they can add Texas and Oklahoma.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
A&M to the SEC makes it look like the Big 12 is officially done.

Big 10 is going to go after UT hard now because the block is broken up.

UT goes to the Big 10 then so does MU.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
damn.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094038

"In a bombshell development that could bring a halt to seismic changes in college realignment, sources tell Orangebloods.com Texas has been convinced by a plan presented by commissioner Dan Beebe to stay in a 10-member Big 12.

UT officials are expected to announce their decision to remain in the Big 12 as early as Monday.

Such a move would appear to end a courtship between Texas and the Pac-10, which all but seemed solidified as of Friday when Nebraska announced it was heading to the Big Ten and Colorado had a press conference with its new commissioner - Larry Scott of the Pac-10.

..."

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

And IMHO stupid on Texas' part. The Big 12(10) is a much weaker conference, small footprint, and by itself, not a very attractive TV package.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
damn.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094038

"In a bombshell development that could bring a halt to seismic changes in college realignment, sources tell Orangebloods.com Texas has been convinced by a plan presented by commissioner Dan Beebe to stay in a 10-member Big 12.

UT officials are expected to announce their decision to remain in the Big 12 as early as Monday.

Such a move would appear to end a courtship between Texas and the Pac-10, which all but seemed solidified as of Friday when Nebraska announced it was heading to the Big Ten and Colorado had a press conference with its new commissioner - Larry Scott of the Pac-10.

..."

I personally think that the PAC 16 is imminent and we will hear today or tmw. UT saying they are going to stay in the big12 is just posturing to see how much money they can really get.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I pray Joe Schad is right.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5284375

"The departure of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the Pac-10 is imminent, four sources within the Big 12 said Monday.

One source said commissioner Dan Beebe's last-minute plan to save the conference has "zero" chance to succeed. Another source said it is "very unlikely" to succeed.

..."

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Then we take Utah, add a conference title game.

Still good for the Pac-10, although not the super-conference we'd hoped for. It keeps ASU/UA relevant in football too.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Then we take Utah, add a conference title game.

Still good for the Pac-10, although not the super-conference we'd hoped for. It keeps ASU/UA relevant in football too.

I just hope that the 2 schools have the right AD's in place to make the jump from big time college football to big time college football.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the proposed expansion Big 12 heist falls though, I wouldn't mind seeing expansion into the Mountain West. There are some quality teams that can add more than just football to the Pac 10 and create more natural rivalries. However, I don't think revenue gains of such expansion would be worth it. Utah, BYU, UNLV, SDSU, and New Mexico. Would capturing the Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, San Diego, and Albuquerque markets be worth it? I imagine there are other criteria that I am not taking into account.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If the proposed expansion Big 12 heist falls though, I wouldn't mind seeing expansion into the Mountain West. There are some quality teams that can add more than just football to the conference and create more natural rivalries. However, I don't think revenue gains of such expansion would be worth it. Utah, BYU, UNLV, SDSU, and New Mexico. Would capturing the Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, San Diego, and Albuquerque markets be worth it? I imagine there are other criteria that I am not taking into account.

No, the Pac would want Utah and only Utah. BYU won't play on Sundays and the other Pac-10 schools don't want a religion-affiliated non-research academy.

San Diego and Vegas are already Pac-10 markets, Albuquerque isn't bringing enough with them to warrant a spot.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, the Pac would want Utah and only Utah.

San Diego and Vegas are already Pac-10 markets, Albuquerque isn't bringing enough with them to warrant a spot.

What's the big deal with Utah? What makes them so desirable? Salt Lake is not the missing cog to get a conference television deal. Oh and BYU could easily be replaced with another Mountain West or even WAC team.

I agree with you for the most part though. I just like the geographical structure of my proposed expansion better than stretching the "Pacific" 10 Conference all the way out to Texas and Oklahoma. Football just seems to be the only consideration in expansion and it's obvious why.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
What's the big deal with Utah? What makes them so desirable? Salt Lake is not the missing cog to get a onference television deal. Oh and BYU could easily be replaced with another Mountain West or even WAC team.
Fits the Pac-10's criteria.

1. Add new and decent-sized market for TV contract negotiations
2. Reasonable distance geographically
3. Acceptable academics

Of course don;t get me wrong, the Pac wants the Texas and Oklahoma schools...badly. Utah is definitely Plan B but that would still allow a Pac-10 Championship game and it's additional revenue as well as adding two top 50 TV markets.

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
If the proposed expansion Big 12 heist falls though, I wouldn't mind seeing expansion into the Mountain West. There are some quality teams that can add more than just football to the Pac 10 and create more natural rivalries. However, I don't think revenue gains of such expansion would be worth it. Utah, BYU, UNLV, SDSU, and New Mexico. Would capturing the Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, San Diego, and Albuquerque markets be worth it? I imagine there are other criteria that I am not taking into account.

Academically, the PAC-10 would never admit SDSU or UNLV. I'm not sure about UNM's academic reputation, but I've never heard New Mexico ever mentioned in connection with PAC-10 expansion.

HooverDam

Reaction score
The Pac 10 played it smart by inviting CU first. It kept the possibility of the Texas schools having to drag Baylor along from happening. It also set the Pac 10 up for a nice plan B, which is to invite Utah and stay at 12 teams if things fall through.

Part of me is sorta hoping for a Pac 12. Utah and Colorado have a lot more in common with the rest of the Pac geographically as well as culturally than Oklahoma or Texas institutions. While the money would likely be less, it keeps ASU and UA from having to go into a murderers row.

The only trick is how do you split the conference into 2 divisions? Obviously everyone wants to go to SoCal as much as possible, so I think this is the way we'd see it split (or something along these lines anyhow):

A:
ASU
UCLA
Cal
Wash
Oregon
Utah

B:
UA
USC
Stanford
Wazzu
OSU
Colorado

Everyone keeps their rivalry game in football (and a home and home in hoops), and plays 5 division games plus 4 interdivisional games per year in football. Thats 10 conference games a year, which is pretty brutal, but I think its the only way to keep everyone going to California as much as they'd like. It also keeps secondary rivalries like Cal-UCLA, Stanford-SC, Oregon-Wash in order.

EDIT: Also here's a sneak peek at ASUs 2012 football schedule assuming they can't back out of any OoC games:

1. Illinois
2. @ Mizzou
3. @ Oregon St
4. Oregon*
5. @ Cal*
6. Utah*
7. Colorado
8. @ USC
9. Wazzu
10. @ Washington*
11. UCLA*
12. @ UofA