Pac 10 to invite half of Big 12 to join?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1090747

The Big 12 meetings are reaching their climax Thursday and Friday in Kansas City with the presidents and chancellors from the league coming together to discuss pressing issues, including sites for championships. (Look for the Big 12 title game in football to stay at Cowboys Stadium for the next three years.)

But when it comes to possible realignment, the Big 12 meetings may be premature.

Why?

Because it appears the Pac-10, which has its meetings in San Francisco starting this weekend, is prepared to make a bold move and invite Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado to join its league, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

The six teams from the Big 12 would be in an eight-team division with Arizona and Arizona State. The other eight-team division would consist of USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1090747

The Big 12 meetings are reaching their climax Thursday and Friday in Kansas City with the presidents and chancellors from the league coming together to discuss pressing issues, including sites for championships. (Look for the Big 12 title game in football to stay at Cowboys Stadium for the next three years.)

But when it comes to possible realignment, the Big 12 meetings may be premature.

Why?

Because it appears the Pac-10, which has its meetings in San Francisco starting this weekend, is prepared to make a bold move and invite Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado to join its league, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

The six teams from the Big 12 would be in an eight-team division with Arizona and Arizona State. The other eight-team division would consist of USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State.

Interesting, although I'd get really tired of getting worked by the Texas/OK schools every year. No chance the big 12 would let it happen, that would basically kill the big 12.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Interesting, although I'd get really tired of getting worked by the Texas/OK schools every year. No chance the big 12 would let it happen, that would basically kill the big 12.
Is highly unlikely to happen, but if those does happen then Nebraska, ISU, Kansas, K-State, and Mizzou would jump to the Big 11 and make that whole complete. Baylor would get screwed.

And I agree, it would not help from an athletic standpoint for the Arizona schools but financially it would make a lot of sense and that end seems to win out with these things. ASU and UA can somewhat keep up in athletic department arms races with just about everyone in the Pac-10. That's definitely not the case with some of these schools.

Last edited:

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score

The Big 12 actually seems like it's on pretty shaky ground. Almost every Big 10 and Pac 10 expansion rumor involves taking schools from the Big 12. The Big 12 schools don't get near the amount of money that the Big 10 or SEC schools do from their TV contracts. If this did happen, there'd almost certainly be a TV network set up by the new conference, a la the Big 10 Network, and it would bring in the $$$. The new conference would have almost all of the big television markets west of the Mississippi.

Also, just saw this article:

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2010/6/1/1495661/golden-nuggets-pac-10-expansion

On Monday, in Wellesley, Mass., UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau participated in a Q&A with the Cal Alumni Club of New England, and sources say that during that meeting, Cal's top official revealed several tantalizing tidbits in regards to the possible expansion of the Pac-10 Conference.

Birgeneau confirmed that the chancellors and presidents of the Pac-10 member schools will be holding a conference meeting on June 6 in San Francisco, and said that he would be "surprised if something did not happen that revolutionized college athletics."

Birgeneau said that expansion is a real possibility in the near future, and that the Pac-10 is seriously considering "a couple of schools, at least one of which meets the academic standards of the rest of the Pac-10."

The Chancellor cited the fact that Illinois makes $13 million per year alone from its participation in the Big Ten Network, a "model we're really looking to, going forward."

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
One thing to note - Texas is the Big 12 with Nebraska and Oklahoma sometimes chiming in on things. if UT wants this deal then it will happen. I just can't see them ceding the power they already have in the Big 12 to the LA schools that run the Pac.

Also, ASU and UA Football would be hurt by this despite it opening up new recruiting grounds. They would instantly become the seventh and eight brand and revenue-generating programs in their own division.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
One thing to note - Texas is the Big 12 with Nebraska and Oklahoma sometimes chiming in on things. if UT wants this deal then it will happen. I just can't see them ceding the power they already have in the Big 12 to the LA schools that run the Pac.

Yeah, it just doesn't make much sense, although it would certainly make the Pac more interesting. Unfortunately the Pac is probably the worst run conference with the worst television contracts of any major conference. It's hard to envision that being an attractive group to join. (Plus ASU and U of A would be further marginalized, which wouldn't be much fun)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Pac 16 would crush the SEC. There would be enough revenue and talent for everyone.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Yeah, it just doesn't make much sense, although it would certainly make the Pac more interesting. Unfortunately the Pac is probably the worst run conference with the worst television contracts of any major conference. It's hard to envision that being an attractive group to join. (Plus ASU and U of A would be further marginalized, which wouldn't be much fun)
The Pac-10 was poorly ran under former leadership. Larry Scott is legit.

The next TV contract would be a monster, the Big 16/Pac 16 or whatever it would be called would rule primetime from coast to coast.

And while ASU/UA would be marginalized in football (honestly - when will either school be better than OU and UT let alone the other programs), UA would still keep it's place in hoops while ASU would still be good to go baseball. They'd only be adding six football schools so this would only increase the AZ schools stature in those two sports.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
A lot of people thought ASU and UofA football would flounder when they joined the Pac 8. I think its pretty safe to say that that hasn't happened. My guess is that it would be about the same as it is now. ASU and UofA would both be OK and finish behind UofT most years but once every 8-10 years they'd put together a really good team and make a serious run at the championship.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
The plot thickens...

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_15222068

Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn said he and other school officials have been led to believe the Pac-10 Conference is on the verge of issuing invitations to six members of the Big 12 to join its ranks.

Bohn said CU has not had any contact with the Pac-10 or its representatives and he was not clear on how he came to believe invitations could be forthcoming. But he said Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech could receive invitations possibly as soon as this weekend when Pac-10 officials meet in San Francisco.

"The longer that we were together in Kansas City it appeared that that rumor or speculation did have some validity to it," Bohn said

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5248220

After daylong discussions regarding the possible breakup of the Big 12, a scheduled news conference was abruptly canceled, fueling speculation that the 12 schools are far from agreement.

A short time earlier, Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione had indicated the member schools did not reach the unity that many had hoped these meetings would achieve.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Money talks...

The report said the expanded Pac-10 would start its own television network and could pay each member school more than $20 million per year in television revenues. That would more than double the current payouts of about $9 million to current Big 12 and Pac-10 schools.

From this article... http://www.denverpost.com/ci_15221052

The PAC 16 (or whatever they'd call it) would be the power conference for baseball too....Tex, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, ASU, Tex A&M, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Oregon St, Cal, UofA...sheesh. I realize baseball isn't a big revenue sport but that'd be fun.

The report also mentions Nebraska & Missouri going to the Big 10. Seems nobody wants Baylor, Iowa St, Kansas & Kansas St

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
It's Division one football!! It's the BIG 12!! It's not intermurals!

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
This will be an interesting few weeks. Where there is smoke there is usually a fire and right now there is a ton of smoke.

The key to all of this is what Texas does. Both the Big 10 and Pac-10 want Texas to join their ranks and as of right now the Pac has the edge. The reason is the fact that the Pac-10 is willing to accept the package it will take to get Texas. Texas wants to keep it's normal rivalries, i.e. Tech and A&M. The Big 10 only wants to add Texas, Nebraska, and Mizzou.

If the conference realignment happens the way it is being talked about the team that gets the biggest screw job is Kansas. Kansas belongs in a 'major' conference and I don't think the Mountain West counts just yet. Personally I would love to substitute Kansas for Colorado but it just won't happen. A more likely scenario is the Big East look to add some of the left-over Big 10 teams.

In my opinion this is what would likely happen:

If the Pac is successful in getting the six Big 12 teams to join then Nebraska and Mizzou would bolt to the Big 10 immediately giving them 13 teams. With those teams in the fold the Big 10 would start a major push to get Notre Dame. I think ND would have to seriously consider joining the Big 10. They would probably get an ultimatum from the Big East telling them to become a full member or get out since all the conferences would be looking to get what they can. Notre Dame never really seemed to fit with the Big East and instead goes to the Big 10 because they need somewhere for their Olympic sports to play. Once Notre Dame joins in the fun then Rutgers and UCONN jump at the chance to join the new 16 team Big 10.

Now the Big East is on the look-out for teams and I would imagine they would ask Kansas and Kansas St. to join their conference and just add to the basketball power that is the Big East. For those who don't think they would go that far west don't forget the Big East has Louisville and Cincinnati so it isn't that much further. They would probably try to get up to 12 teams but I don't want to sit down too long and figure out who those other teams would be.

Now the Mountain West will take in Iowa St. and Baylor as well as add Boise St. (supposedly they have already offered Boise St.) which would then give them an automatic BCS birth effectively replacing the Big 12.

The only thing I can't figure out what will happen is what the SEC will do. Texas A&M wants to be in the SEC. I could see them being offered as well as Clemson to give them a 14 team super conference.

Whatever happens it will drastically change the landscape. As I said earlier, should be a fun few weeks.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I really, really hope this happens.

Across the board this would be awesome. Sure we get two auto losses to OU and UT every year but we wouldn't play USC as oftne anymore. From a basketball and baseball stand point its a no brainer for the Az schools. Undoubtedly it would be the best football conference in the nation, which I would love being here in SEC country.

And a conference TV channel would just be the icing on the cake. The two Arizona schools would be the most effected but for the conference as a whole its the best of both worlds.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Some Texas legislators want Baylor included in the Pac-10 invites instead of Colorado, and I agree with them. Colorado really brings nothing to the table, IMO.

Other than the Bill McCartney years (more than 15 years ago) Colorado football has been largely irrelevant. Their men's basketball team has never done anything and Colorado doesn't even have baseball or softball.

Baylor is arguably as good as Colorado in football and they are strong in men's and women's basketball and baseball.

As for football, I could see UA and ASU being competitive in their new division. Texas Tech is going down under Tuberville. A&M is going nowhere with Mike Sherman running the show. Okie St. is bankrolled by Boone Pickens and they still continue to underachieve.

They would have to step it up for sure, but it isn't like the AZ schools would get crushed by Tech, A&M, Okie St. or Colorado/Baylor. Every school has down years like devilalum mentioned. Texas under David McWilliams/John Mackovic, Oklahoma under Gary Gibbs/Howard Schnellenberger.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Some Texas legislators want Baylor included in the Pac-10 invites instead of Colorado, and I agree with them. Colorado really brings nothing to the table, IMO.

Colorado brings the Denver market. Baylor brings Waco. Huge difference. The big payoff in this deal is a huge TV contract. So, in this case, Colorado>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Baylor.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Colorado makes the most sense geographically to be in the Pac-10 and really should have been in quite a while ago. Though if we are able to pick one other team I would quickly trade Colorado for Kansas. Kansas football has been on the rise recently and adding their basketball team with the others would make the Pac-10 one of the if not best basketball conference around. Having one of the top 2 football and basketball conferences would really bring in a ton of cash for each school once they start their own network or sell contracts to ESPN, FOX, ect.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Baylor??? Of course Texas senators want their ******** brother included in the mix. So what? Colorado makes more sense geographically and financially.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
As for football, I could see UA and ASU being competitive in their new division. Texas Tech is going down under Tuberville. A&M is going nowhere with Mike Sherman running the show. Okie St. is bankrolled by Boone Pickens and they still continue to underachieve.

They would have to step it up for sure, but it isn't like the AZ schools would get crushed by Tech, A&M, Okie St. or Colorado/Baylor. Every school has down years like devilalum mentioned. Texas under David McWilliams/John Mackovic, Oklahoma under Gary Gibbs/Howard Schnellenberger.
Of course but from a revenue standpoint it's likely ASU and UA are at the bottom of their potential new division. The teams with the highest revenue streams generally win more over time.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the Big 12 continue on, by grabbing up Boise State, BYU, Utah, SMU, TCU, Houston, etc or just fade away? 12 minus six = 12 and if Nebraska and Mizzou go to the Big 11 that leaves 4. I could see Arkansas leaving the SEC and going back to Big 12. They don't seem to be a good fit in the SEC. PAC 10 needs to move East to get a bigger TV deal. They could have either an East and West Division or a North and South division. No wonder Pete left USC. He would not have the lock on PAC 10 recruiting.

QUOTE]SAN FRANCISCO -- Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott emerged from the final day of conference meetings Sunday and announced that university presidents and chancellors have given him all the authority he needs to expand the Pac-10.

"What direction that process takes still could go in different directions, everything from remaining as we are as a Pac-10 that's got some very bright days ahead of it to a bigger conference footprint," Scott said. "I have the authority to take it in different directions, depending on various scenarios and discussions we're going to have."

Scott wouldn't give any timeframe for expansion talks -- other than to reiterate that the deadline is the end of this year -- or discuss specific schools. However, it sounds as if he will aggressively court some of the biggest names in college sports, including Texas. The Big 12 is in danger of collapsing and could provide the Pac-10 with six new teams or more.

The Big 12 reportedly gave Missouri and Nebraska an ultimatum of Friday to decide if they will remain in the Big 12. If those schools leave, the Pac-10 could be strategically situated to gobble up Big 12 teams looking for bigger opportunities, including Texas. The most widely discussed scenario has Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado joining the Pac-10. There was some indication Sunday that Baylor could replace Colorado under pressure from the Texas Legislature.

"You've read about an awful lot of ideas. I'm not sure I've read every single one, but we probably have contemplated or are contemplating almost everything you've read about," Scott said. "The Pac-10's in a very fortunate position."

In addition to giving Scott the power to negotiate expansion, the conference also has made him the only voice on the matter. A handful of school presidents and chancellors declined comment when asked about the expansion talks as they left the final day of meetings at the Westin St. Francis hotel.

Washington president Mark Emmert, who will take over as the next chief executive of the NCAA in November, described the discussions as "Good. Good, but complicated."

Because the Pac-10 has to work out individual agreements with each of the schools involved and has to overcome major logistical issues, including complex travel scenarios, it's hard to imagine anything getting done in a matter of days. Scott said it's possible the expansion announcement could come as early as July 27, the first day of the Pac-10 football media days in New York. The new schools wouldn't join the Pac-10 until the 2012-2013 school year, Scott said.

The Pac-10 begins negotiating its new TV agreement at the end of this year and Scott said he needs to know the makeup of his conference before he sits down with TV executives. There are reports that expansion could be worth as much as $20 million per school. Scott hired the Creative Artists Agency to help negotiate the conference's next media deal.

One unnamed Big 12 school administrator told The American-Statesman of Austin, "I've talked to the Pac-10. There is an invitation. When it comes, it'll come fast."

Said Scott: "We absolutely could move more quickly if we needed to, but we're under no pressure to decide anything earlier than the end of the year."

Because the Big 12 is feeling the squeeze, Scott said he reached out to that conference's commissioner Dan Beebe and to several other conference commissioners. The collapse of the Big 12 would create an upheaval in the landscape of college sports that stretched from coast to coast.

"I know there's some anxiety being created there," Scott said.

Expansion isn't the only agenda on Scott's plate. He said he will unveil a series of marketing initiatives at the July 27 media day that will include airing Pac-10 games in Asian countries.

"The West Coast is the gateway to the Pacific Rim," Scott said. "We've got a lot of student-athletes with Asian roots. Some of our schools have a very high level of brand recognition in Asia and a lot of international interest. I think we're going to be the first collegiate conference to have an international marketing plan."

Mark Saxon covers USC football for ESPNLosAngeles.com.[/QUOTE]

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Colorado makes the most sense geographically to be in the Pac-10 and really should have been in quite a while ago. Though if we are able to pick one other team I would quickly trade Colorado for Kansas. Kansas football has been on the rise recently and adding their basketball team with the others would make the Pac-10 one of the if not best basketball conference around. Having one of the top 2 football and basketball conferences would really bring in a ton of cash for each school once they start their own network or sell contracts to ESPN, FOX, ect.

Yeah, the unsubstantiated reasoning is that KU and KState are tied at the hip and State being practically a CC is dragging KU down with it. I don't know if this is really true or not. I think it's more a case of UT is driving the bus and they'd rather have TTech than KU personally.

TTech has a smaller media area, it's not an AAU school, and it doesn't bring in as much revenue as KU.

Big 12 2009 endowment ranking, by size

* Texas: 5 ($12 billion).
* Texas A&M: 12 ($5 billion).
* Nebraska: 59 ($964 million).
* Kansas: 60 ($955 million).
* Missouri: 68 ($881 million).
* Baylor: 69 ($880 million).
* Oklahoma: 71 ($847 million).
* Texas Tech: 85 ($679 million).
* Colorado: 98 ($593 million).
* Oklahoma State: 126 ($454 million).
* Iowa State: 128 ($452 million).
* Kansas State: 187 ($259 million).

Here's a look at the money provided for each Big 12 team.

1. Texas: $10.2 million
2. Oklahoma: $9.8 million
3. Kansas: $9.24 million
4. Texas A&M: $9.22 million
5. Nebraska: $9.1 million
6. Missouri: $8.4 million
7. Texas Tech: $8.23 million
8. Kansas State: $8.21 million
9. Oklahoma State: $8.1 million
10. Colorado: $8.0 million
11. Iowa State: $7.4 million
12. Baylor: $7.1 million

KU can pull in TVs in Kansas City and Wichita, TTech is pretty much West Texas where there are no TVs. I don't know about the other Big 12 schools, but KU has a large alumni in both Phoenix and LA as well.

TTech pretty much is just a bone to UT so that UT gets west Texas eyeballs for recruiting and allows them to keep both state rivals.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Apparently we will know today is Boise State has been invited to the Mountain West. If these PAC 10 rumors are true, I too wonder what that means for the rest of the big 12, and Boise state if they jump ship and join the mountain west, only to possibly see the better teams in that conference leave!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard