OT: University of Phoenix - Widespread Layoffs Coming

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure you are correct here. GCU is a fully for-profit and nearly everyone running their program is from UoP. They are actually more aggressive in their "sales" model and constantly poach UoP employees . If you think the mangers and exec's at GCU aren't making tons of money you'll need to think again. The same men who led UoP done this path are now running GCU.

Enjoy the ride.
Mueller, yes. He got Dino Meyer to go over there as well and run a lot of the sales floor. GCU is absolutely working toward the previous UoP model but they seem to be doing it much differently, maybe Mueller learned from his mistakes at UoP

I hear ya. Some people are just slower in understanding the evolution of industries and get stuck in the "traditional" ways of doing things. Those who think this way tend to miss out on new things.

I spent a few years with UoP, have a full understanding of it. I still dont see how it gets you less loans and better pay than a state university. Honestly, lots of employers throw UoP resumes away from my experience

:shrug:

To each his own. Jsut because you believe in it doesnt make you more enlightened on everything than the next guy.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no interests in GCU, so I could well be off-base. But, I can tell you that they outwardly appear to be re-branding. That's my point. UoP remains a pure sales model and GCU may be the same underneath the veneer of re-branding.

I am distinctly knowledgeable of the pre-2009 UoP model. So, my comments on UoP are dead-on (though, I should say that I never worked there). One of the greatest reforms under this administration was the higher ed reform stuff. It undercut the for-profit sales model and that's a great thing.

my experience is pre 2009 as well, I left there in 2008

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Honestly, lots of employers throw UoP resumes away from my experience

This is true. UoP is a liability - whether it's your work experience or your education. UoP had an opportunity in the mid- to late-90s to actually be a legitimate alternative. Instead, they went for the voracious, profit-motive, sales model that is no more than a degree mill on its education side and a boiler room call center on the employment side.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Question: why would an accredited university need to have publicly traded stock? I know they're an online university but to have to rely on stock seems strange considering they charge between $395-$585 per credit hour.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard