OT: Tony Romo wants record $10 million a year to stay at CBS, sources say

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony Romo wants record $10 million a year to stay at CBS, sources say

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...stay-at-cbs-sources-say/ar-BBVdPtV?li=BBnbfcL

Here’s a prediction Tony Romo himself would like: He could become the first $10 million a year TV analyst in sports history.

Romo’s representatives are looking for a contract extension paying him “eight figures” annually to remain as CBS Sports’ top NFL analyst in 2020 and beyond, sources tell Sporting News.

Romo and CBS have been a perfect marriage so far. The most likely scenario is still this: CBS extends its star commentator's deal with a nice fat raise.

But Romo could also play out his rookie TV contract and become a free agent. He could draw suitors ranging from rival TV networks and startup football leagues to tech giants looking to stream games.

There's even a chance the young father and husband could walk away from TV to pursue his growing business interests, sources said. That would disappoint many fans who view Romo as the best thing to happen to sports media in many years. CBS declined to comment.

The former Cowboys quarterback currently makes $4 million a year under a three-year TV deal that expires after the 2019 NFL season. But in just two seasons on the air, the 38-year-old Romo has exploded as the most popular game commentator, in any sport, since John Madden.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is really good at his job. I have no idea what the relative salaries are though

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is really good at his job. I have no idea what the relative salaries are though

From a Houston Chronicle career-related article:

https://work.chron.com/much-sports-analyst-paid-first-13274.html

Bob Costas, probably the most famous of sports analysts, earns upward of $7 million a year. Al Michaels of NBC and Joe Buck of Fox aren’t far behind with an annual salary of $6 million. They’re followed by Jim Nantz of CBS and Chris Berman of ESPN, both at $5 million a year and Mike Tirico of NBC is another top earner with an annual salary of $3 million.

----------------------------------------------

Romo currently makes $4 million per year which seems really good if the other salaries are accurate. He's asking to be the highest paid by far.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a Houston Chronicle career-related article:

https://work.chron.com/much-sports-analyst-paid-first-13274.html

Bob Costas, probably the most famous of sports analysts, earns upward of $7 million a year. Al Michaels of NBC and Joe Buck of Fox aren’t far behind with an annual salary of $6 million. They’re followed by Jim Nantz of CBS and Chris Berman of ESPN, both at $5 million a year and Mike Tirico of NBC is another top earner with an annual salary of $3 million.

----------------------------------------------

Romo currently makes $4 million per year which seems really good if the other salaries are accurate. He's asking to be the highest paid by far.

He is kind of out of his mind then. Costas does everything too, not just NFL. Buck does baseball on top of football.

Until he makes it a full time multiple sport job he isn't worth a quarter of that. He should be happy making 4 million

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with asking...and he's dang good at what he does....I got no problem saying he's the best in the business calling games. When he's on I listen a lot more than with the other broadcasters.
Can't blame a guy for trying

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is how you negotiate in my opinion. I'm sure this is how it works on the other end as well.. corporations will low ball if you don't punch em in the mouth first. Strike while the iron is hot.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
His play predictions were overblown but I like his style of calling games. He’s not a bore like Phil Simms and seems to have good chemistry with Nantz.

Btw how bout Jim Nantz’ gig. Super bowl, final 4 and the Masters in b2b2b months...