OT: Spygate 2. Patriots caught filming Bengals signals

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pats did the exact same thing before

Hammer the hell outta em'

As a coach - if I KNOW the hand signals it tells me more about your play....and if I know your play I can have my defense anticipating the throw and moving guys into positions they wouldn't have been had I not known your signals.

Information is king when coaching football - the more I know about you - the odds of me destroying your team go WAY up

Vice Versa - If a coach knows my plays ...it's fairly obvious because his team will rotate exactly where the play was designed....if it happens once or twice I'm noticing...if it happens 3-4 times ...yea they've been spying on us...and I have to change EVERYTHING on the fly...which is very difficult to do and is 100% CHEATING.

As a coach you practice plays 80-100 times just to get it right....every man at the right spot and the QB reading options 1,2 and 3.

You can't spend the time running plays and having the other coach KNOW that's what you've been practicing - it'd be like playing PICK A NUMBER and when you practiced it you ALWAYS said 55 during the practices and your coach told you practice....then you go into the match and the opponent says, 'ugh 55' ....you're like 'WHAT!!?! How'd he KNOW!?!' It wasn't a lucky guess...he knew what you were going to do.

If you don't get this you never coached or played football - and thus should limit your opinions, if your opinion is the taping doesn't matter much....YES IT DOES! The Pats wouldn't be cheating if the data didn't matter that much.
I think, if they did it this the whole season, they did it probably last year too, so for me this is very, bring the hammer, deny them 2 first rounders, level them for multiple cheating in one decade that alianates every SB ring they have.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This never made sense. Why would you try to cheat against the Bengals for starters. Second, how do you steal signals in the pros? The communication all goes thru the QB and Mike's headsets. I don't get what the edge is they get, so if there is no edge I don't see a motive.

They are at a public game where everything is filmed. If they were caught filming their practice leading up to their matchup that would be a different story.

Apparently the rules allow you to steal signs as long as you're just looking and doing it. In other words if you're good enough to watch Kliff signalling plays to KM and from that you know formation whatever thats' fine. IT's when you start using video and pics etc to do it the NFL says no not allowed.

So they are fine with the advance scout watching the Bengals, it's when someone is videoing it that it crosses the line. as for why the Bengals, they have a new coach, and if part of your process as a team is to tape other teams signs, if you're that detailed, you probably do it against everyone not just against the good teams. In fact it's probably part of their cover look I can see us stealing signs against the Ravens but the Bengals?

But we have to wait at this point who knows what is true and what's not.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As long as the Pats are winning SB's, then the Steeler's are NOT. And that's GREAT!! Watching the Steelers lose is oh so close to being just as satisfying as watching the Cardinals win. The NFL does their best to slow the Pat's dynasty down. Instead, it backfires, and the Patriots then carry that chip on their shoulders to another SB championship. If it's really cheating, and it really isn't, I wish the Cardinals would figure out how to do it.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
As long as the Pats are winning SB's, then the Steeler's are NOT. And that's GREAT!! Watching the Steelers lose is oh so close to being just as satisfying as watching the Cardinals win. The NFL does their best to slow the Pat's dynasty down. Instead, it backfires, and the Patriots then carry that chip on their shoulders to another SB championship. If it's really cheating, and it really isn't, I wish the Cardinals would figure out how to do it.

There is no chance in my lifetime that the Cardinals could ever figure out how to do this.

I think it was back in the Dave M era after he took over that we had other teams claiming we kept the same signs which made signing one of our players a bonus for games against us as they could just tell the coach what the plays were.

Now it's hard to say of we just sucked that bad or if it was true but I suspect it was, given that on pass plays it was like the running of the bulls in Pamplona.

I mean you could see them shooting gaps knowing we'd never run a draw or a screen and if we did, it wouldn't work anyhow.

We are so far out of that league of competence, and will be for the foreseeable future that it's truly laughable. Laughable and sad really.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
We need an OL , we need an OL, we need an OL... guess what? We've never had a good OL and there's absolutely NO reason to think we'll have one next year lol so Murray is gonna have to figure out how to play behind bad to average at best

Oh at one time we had a good oline but it's been decades "literally" since then.

Some teams seem to excel at this it would seem you should just figure out who is responsible for that and hire them.

Maybe we could film them drafting players and see if we can get the hang of it?

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Oh at one time we had a good oline but it's been decades "literally" since then.

Some teams seem to excel at this it would seem you should just figure out who is responsible for that and hire them.

Maybe we could film them drafting players and see if we can get the hang of it?
Aww man I posted this in the wrong thread lol

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://larrybrownsports.com/football/bill-belichick-furious-patriots-videotaping-incident/528066

Report: Bill Belichick furious over Patriots’ videotaping incident
December 12, 2019
by Steve DelVecchio

Bill Belichick emphatically denied having anything to do with a New England Patriots videographer illegally filming the Cincinnati Bengals’ sideline during Sunday’s game in Cleveland, but that does not mean the coach is blowing the incident off. Apparently, Belichick is livid.

Tom E. Curran of NBC Sports Boston wrote on Thursday that Belichick is “beside himself” about what took place in Cleveland. The future Hall of Famer hates distractions, and there’s no question this has become one. Not only that, but it stems from something that was done by Kraft Sports Entertainment, which has to do with the Patriots brand and not the football side of things.

As Curran puts it, Belichick “tolerates the intrusion of Kraft Sports Entertainment” and understands the importance of an NFL team promoting its brand. He also appreciates football history and recently took part in NFL Network’s multi-part special for its NFL 100 All-Time Team, so he has been known to partake in documentaries like “Do Your Job,” which was the reason the Patriots had a production crew in Cleveland. However, the mistake — which the Patriots insist was an honest one — has now led to other scandals making their way back into the news and is already being viewed by some as another stain on Belichick’s legacy.

Assuming he truly did have nothing to do with the alleged footage a videographer captured of Cincinnati’s sideline, it’s easy to see why Belichick is angry. There’s essentially nothing he can say to convince a portion of the population that he’s telling the truth, even though early indications are the Patriots would have gained virtually nothing from what was recorded.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
https://larrybrownsports.com/football/bill-belichick-furious-patriots-videotaping-incident/528066

Report: Bill Belichick furious over Patriots’ videotaping incident
December 12, 2019
by Steve DelVecchio

This is like a drunk driver complaining about his most recent DUI's that involved him driving his car on private property.

So what if it didnt give them anything, it's a violation of the rules, and a violation they were already busted for previously.

And I'm not a big Patriots hater, I'd rather they win than probably 10 other teams.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jay Glazer got the tape of the booth bust.

The Bengal's Security chief has been identified as

You must be registered for see images attach

and was heard uttering to the film crew;

"the damage is done my friend"

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There's a story out today that says the NFL is in a real pickle because other franchises are private telling them they fully expect some sort of punishment because the NFL told them(the other owners) the last time if this happens again, we will hit them harder. Even owners who concede it may have been an honest mistake are saying you told us the last time you'd hit them hard if it happens again, it did, now do it.

Very interesting to see what the outcome is.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
There's a story out today that says the NFL is in a real pickle because other franchises are private telling them they fully expect some sort of punishment because the NFL told them(the other owners) the last time if this happens again, we will hit them harder. Even owners who concede it may have been an honest mistake are saying you told us the last time you'd hit them hard if it happens again, it did, now do it.

Very interesting to see what the outcome is.

Idk if it’s cheating or straight ignorance. The guy could’ve recorded the same video from the stands. You just can’t do it from the press box. Given their history why is a coach with the attention to detail of Bill Belichick telling camera men to break rules in the open? Very odd.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

If any cheating by the Patriots keeps the Steelers form any playoff or championship, then I am all in on the Patriots cheating. If there is one team I absolutely despise it's the Steelers. I will go one better PA, watching the Steelers lose is just as satisfying as a Cardinal win.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Anyone who actually thinks... there is even an outside chance this was an honest mistake, is horribly ignorant.

The second the Bengals security guys confront him, He sounds exactly like the Cookie Monster with his hand caught in the jar.

Ummm... Me sorry... Me not know, Can delete video right now!! Nom, nom, nom.....

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Anyone who actually thinks... there is even an outside chance this was an honest mistake, is horribly ignorant.

The second the Bengals security guys confront him, He sounds exactly like the Cookie Monster with his hand caught in the jar.

Ummm... Me sorry... Me not know, Can delete video right now!! Nom, nom, nom.....

I think the guy filming is horribly ignorant. As I mentioned earlier he could’ve recorded the same footage from the stands and it wouldn’t be illegal. In fact he was filming in the press box (illegal) which was behind the Bengals bench (why is he filming signals that are being directed in the opposite direction)?

Granted the Patriots sent this moron to scout so they should still be punished. I don’t think anyone is arguing that.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the guy filming is horribly ignorant. As I mentioned earlier he could’ve recorded the same footage from the stands and it wouldn’t be illegal. In fact he was filming in the press box (illegal) which was behind the Bengals bench (why is he filming signals that are being directed in the opposite direction)?

Granted the Patriots sent this moron to scout so they should still be punished. I don’t think anyone is arguing that.

I wasn't addressing anyone here really, But the talking heads at NFLN and ESPN were angling hard for a point.... that this might be an honest mistake.

That in itself is hilarious.

When you're the Patriots, with all their nefarious baggage... You don't send an ignorant newb to do your scout team filming.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I wasn't addressing anyone here really, But the talking heads at NFLN and ESPN were angling hard for a point.... that this might be an honest mistake.

That in itself is hilarious.

When you're the Patriots, with all their nefarious baggage... You don't send an ignorant newb to do your scout team filming.

He wasn’t from the scout team. The patriots are doing a docuseries about a scout and sent the film crew they 1099 contract which is also owned by Kraft to get B roll and that’s who was caught. The guy who got caught his wife runs the PR firm that started the Bill Belichick foundation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasn’t from the scout team. The patriots are doing a docuseries about a scout and sent the film crew they 1099 contract which is also owned by Kraft to get B roll and that’s who was caught. The guy who got caught his wife runs the PR firm that started the Bill Belichick foundation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if all of that is true the problem they have is that teh first time around it came out in the investigation that people who were doing the against the rules filming had been told, if you get caught, tell them you're a tv crew filming a tv show. So the exact excuse they're using now, is the one they told people to use when they were in fact cheating. Again it might be true this time, but you don't get the benefit of the doubt after the last time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson