OT: Spygate 2. Patriots caught filming Bengals signals

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Claimed ( like in Spygate) that they were just filming for a show and “accidentally” filmed D coaches signals from sidelines and press box

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think a suspension is the right thing to do here.

Sent from my 6060S using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So apparently someone noticed that essentially the entire first quarter the camera was filming their signals and had security get involved. Security said the people filming asked them, can't we just delete this and not report it. BB is saying it's not a show affiliated with the Pats, they don't watch their films, they've never watched it and it has nothing to do with us(the Patriots).

It's been confirmed the NFL is investigating. And yes the Bengals?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here we go with the rush to judgement. Media loves to make crap what it isn't. Faux news.

Patriots are in a fishbowl and this could easily be exactly what the Pats say it is. Come on, it's the Bengals. Some ******** "videographer" screws up and the piling on crowd comes to a conclusion.

According to a statement from the team, the Patriots sent a three-person video crew to FirstEnergy Stadium to film a behind-the-scenes look at what it's like to be an advance scout in the NFL. The crew was filming as part of a "Do Your Job" series that the Patriots run on their official website.

Although the Patriots received permission from the Browns to put their crew in the pressbox, the team admitted that they didn't reach out to the NFL or the Bengals for permission before they started filming. The situation became a controversy on Sunday when a Bengals employee noticed that the Patriots crew was taking video of action on the field, which is prohibited under NFL policy.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...lmed-the-field-during-bengals-game-on-sunday/

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is they were filming the offensive coaches giving signals, the employee who reported it said the camera was on that for effectively an entire quarter when reported.

Could be FAUX but if not the obvious answer to the question why cheat against the Bengals would be, because they have been doing it against everyone so they did it against the Bengals too.

I really hope for their sake it turns out to be a misunderstanding, if they're cheating again, the NFL really has a quandary just how far can you go. They can't make them fire their coach but they can suspend him for quite awhile and take away more draft picks.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as "but, its the bengals!" If they do spend time recording defensive signals too, and they are doing it to the bengals of all teams, I would say they simply do it to everyone regardless of talent level.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I heard Golic and Wingo say that this morning on their show. That the guy was filming for a whole quarter. Jack Del Rio was the guest at the time and he made the comment to the affect that that would show intent (my word, don't remember his exact verbiage).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Business INsider but they've changed the article it no longer mentions the part about taping for an entire quarter just the coaches.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pat... Bengals,situation an "unintended oversight."

It does still have the part I posted before that the employee asked them to just delete what he'd been taping so it could all be forgotten. That coupled with the claim they were taping the offensive coaches giving signals is what made it look so bad in the initial story. It popped up on my push feed of news stories yesterday the article has been change.d

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The problem is they were filming the offensive coaches giving signals, the employee who reported it said the camera was on that for effectively an entire quarter when reported.

Could be FAUX but if not the obvious answer to the question why cheat against the Bengals would be, because they have been doing it against everyone so they did it against the Bengals too.

I really hope for their sake it turns out to be a misunderstanding, if they're cheating again, the NFL really has a quandary just how far can you go. They can't make them fire their coach but they can suspend him for quite awhile and take away more draft picks.
Wouldn't part of a scout's job be to watch the sidelines? Coaches? Signals? They are most certainly not there for the popcorn and hot dogs.

Is it a bad look for the Patriots? Absolutely...But could the excuse be legit? Yes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard Golic and Wingo say that this morning on their show. That the guy was filming for a whole quarter. Jack Del Rio was the guest at the time and he made the comment to the affect that that would show intent (my word, don't remember his exact verbiage).

Yeah ESPN is the one who reported that initially it's not in the story I saw on their website now and Business Insider has altered their story doesn't show it now either. The guy did apparently ask can we just delete this so it's all forgotten which in that context(with the whole quarter thing) sounds fishy.

Again the easy defense is why woudl they need to cheat against the Bengals, the answer is they wouldn't, but if they are doing this regularly(again IF) then it makes sense they do it against everyone.

It's also being widely reported they had not notified the NFL they were doing it, apparently as part of the aftermath of Spygate this is now a league wide rule if you're going to do this sort of thing, you have to notify the NFL. That's where the Pats saying they're not affiliated with us is a big deal,if true they're off the hook, if not true, they're in trouble.

Given that Pats are admitting it happened and it was a mistake, it's sort of looking liek they ARE somewhat affiliated.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't part of a scout's job be to watch the sidelines? Coaches? Signals? They are most certainly not there for the popcorn and hot dogs.

Is it a bad look for the Patriots? Absolutely...But could the excuse be legit? Yes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

it's not what the scout was watching it's what htey were filming. the rules apparently said they can't film where they were filming, they can follow the scout around doing his job yes, but you can't film what he's watching and they were in fact filming it. Could just be a big mistake absolutely, but given their history it makes perfect sense to investigate.

There was a story again LAST year that someone on the Patriots sideline when the Pats were on offense 2 years ago picked up Brady's helmet(he was not in the game Hoyer was) and heard the coach during a part of the play where the communication is cut off by rule. This goes bakc to the rumor years ago that Doug Flutie during a game picked up Brady's helmet(he apparently was wearing the backup helmet) and heard the coach talking to Brady during a play where it's supposed to cut off. Flutie has never confirmed it but apparently he told several people who have confirmed he told them. My understanding is the NFL looked into the rumor from 2 years ago but found no confirmation it happened and didn't do anything.

After what they did there's always going to be these rumors and it's entirely possible most if not all of them are false.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares... EVERY team in the league is cheating in some form or fashion either past present or will in the future. If you don’t believe that I have swamp land in Florida for sale?? Lol... you guys crack me up...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave