OT: Spygate 2. Patriots caught filming Bengals signals

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares... EVERY team in the league is cheating in some form or fashion either past present or will in the future. If you don’t believe that I have swamp land in Florida for sale?? Lol... you guys crack me up...

Sure but when you get caught cheating you get a penalty. and if you've been caught cheating before, that penalty should be bigger.

I have no idea but the fact that the NFL is saying there still might be a penalty says to me they don't want to make a huge deal of it but they want to send a message we don't necessarily believe you .

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Who cares... EVERY team in the league is cheating in some form or fashion either past present or will in the future. If you don’t believe that I have swamp land in Florida for sale?? Lol... you guys crack me up...

It just tells me they do it a lot more than other teams.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Business Insider quotes someone who's seen the tape saying there's at least 8 full minutes where you can see players coming on and off the field and see the playcall signals. Says that before the game started they did an interview with a scout, but once the game started there's no more interview, just tape of the playcalls. ESPN reiterates the part of their 2015 story on Spygate where they said the Pats were routinely sending video crews to film signals telling teams they were there to "do team reports or team stories". The videographer in this latest incident gave the exact same excuse when asked what he was doing before the game. Then when caught filming signals he offered to delete it if they just let it go.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here we go with the rush to judgement. Media loves to make crap what it isn't. Faux news.

Patriots are in a fishbowl and this could easily be exactly what the Pats say it is. Come on, it's the Bengals. Some ******** "videographer" screws up and the piling on crowd comes to a conclusion.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...lmed-the-field-during-bengals-game-on-sunday/

note - that was basically their excuse the first time.
Patriots have given every reason NOT to trust them

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
SC reporting that Troy Vincent and Roger Goodell can comment on this issue at a press conference today. :grabs:

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Last time it was a 1st round pick...didn't teach them so you gotta have a punishment that will

Two 1st Round Picks and a 3rd OR take their entire 2020 draft

and if you believe Bill B isn't connected to this you're beyond ignorant.

The film crew is at a game that isn't theirs and filming coaches they'd be playing in 1 week.....who happen to be new and very little info out on em'. This stinks to the highest levels.

If you have 1 iota of belief that they weren't cheating you're dumb

Financial punishment isn't enough ....put the hammer down.

Troy Vincent is good...I trust he'll do the right thing....the only question is; Will he release the tape? Odds are NO

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't the Patriots it wouldn't even be a discussion.

Here's a question if it was in Cincinnati, who allowed the film crew in the booth? Follow the money. :devil::devil::devil::devil::devil: :shrug:

No helicopter, no hot air balloon, no sniper scope.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would they even need to do that against a team like Cinn. this year is the question?!

Is there a team they don't spy on?! :eek:

The likely answer is no, they spy on everyone, even the Bengals.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. Loss of two first round picks should be the penalty at minimum.

If they are guilty I'm not sure even that's enough. What they're basically saying is we got caught before, got penalized, then complained repeatedly since then we were screwed and wrongly punished, got screwed again with deflate gate etc. So if after all that denial, and complaining, they did it again, they should lose more than 1 pick for 2 years IMO. They should lose draft picks, they should lose capspace, they should lose money, and BB should be suspended an entire season and by suspended I mean not allowed to be with the franchise.

It will never happen and of course we have no idea if they're guilty of anything yet, but if they are, the NFL has to throw the book at them.

I actually hope they're innocent I think it will look absolutely terrible for the league if they get caught again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. Loss of two first round picks should be the penalty at minimum.

screw that. Bellichek should get a 1 year ban for this and they should lose at least a 1st rounder. can't keep blatantly cheating and get away with it.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Suspend Belichick for a year, Brady retires and take away their first round pick in 2020. Bill will be back in time to draft Trevor Lawrence #1 overall.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The actual details make it sound like a Nothing Burger but it is the Pats so an investigation and possible punishment shouldn’t be out of the question. As I posted the yourteamcheats link everyone is up to no good until they stop keeping score.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This never made sense. Why would you try to cheat against the Bengals for starters. Second, how do you steal signals in the pros? The communication all goes thru the QB and Mike's headsets. I don't get what the edge is they get, so if there is no edge I don't see a motive.

They are at a public game where everything is filmed. If they were caught filming their practice leading up to their matchup that would be a different story.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This never made sense. Why would you try to cheat against the Bengals for starters. Second, how do you steal signals in the pros? The communication all goes thru the QB and Mike's headsets. I don't get what the edge is they get, so if there is no edge I don't see a motive.

They are at a public game where everything is filmed. If they were caught filming their practice leading up to their matchup that would be a different story.
You could still get an advantage as a lot of hand signals can come in for a late adjustment or responding to a 2 minute drill. With that said, yawn, I don't care about this.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

True but maybe make it less obvious?

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pats did the exact same thing before

Hammer the hell outta em'

As a coach - if I KNOW the hand signals it tells me more about your play....and if I know your play I can have my defense anticipating the throw and moving guys into positions they wouldn't have been had I not known your signals.

Information is king when coaching football - the more I know about you - the odds of me destroying your team go WAY up

Vice Versa - If a coach knows my plays ...it's fairly obvious because his team will rotate exactly where the play was designed....if it happens once or twice I'm noticing...if it happens 3-4 times ...yea they've been spying on us...and I have to change EVERYTHING on the fly...which is very difficult to do and is 100% CHEATING.

As a coach you practice plays 80-100 times just to get it right....every man at the right spot and the QB reading options 1,2 and 3.

You can't spend the time running plays and having the other coach KNOW that's what you've been practicing - it'd be like playing PICK A NUMBER and when you practiced it you ALWAYS said 55 during the practices and your coach told you practice....then you go into the match and the opponent says, 'ugh 55' ....you're like 'WHAT!!?! How'd he KNOW!?!' It wasn't a lucky guess...he knew what you were going to do.

If you don't get this you never coached or played football - and thus should limit your opinions, if your opinion is the taping doesn't matter much....YES IT DOES! The Pats wouldn't be cheating if the data didn't matter that much.

Last edited: