OT: Simmons again

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tua just hit Tyreek for a long TD. On replay Vilma showed us how the safety on that side, Isaiah Simmons, came flying up on the fake by Tua thinking he was throwing the ball to Achane underneath. But Simmons was the deep responsibility on that side and with him flying up, Hill ran right by the rookie CB for a long catch and run TD.

Definition of Simmons career so far, the number of big plays he's given up by guessing wrong. Started with his very first game the long catch and run TD by Mostert his rookie year.

Man we blew that pick

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And he just got absolutely flattened by Mostert. Met him in the hole and got blasted backwards. Next play Mostert scored.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody felt that Simmons was a can't miss prospect.

not true. I wanted a WR and that was the expected pick until we got D Hop. There was definitely a bunch of people that wanted him but there were lots of people who asked the obvious question, what position will he play?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Tua just hit Tyreek for a long TD. On replay Vilma showed us how the safety on that side, Isaiah Simmons, came flying up on the fake by Tua thinking he was throwing the ball to Achane underneath. But Simmons was the deep responsibility on that side and with him flying up, Hill ran right by the rookie CB for a long catch and run TD.

Definition of Simmons career so far, the number of big plays he's given up by guessing wrong. Started with his very first game the long catch and run TD by Mostert his rookie year.

Man we blew that pick
That's so weird....I'm old enough to remember that when Simmons went to the Giants, Daboll said Simmons wanted to play LB, not safety as the Cards had him...the same Simmons who told Gannon he wanted to play safety, not LB....lol

This dude is gonna end up on a 3rd team as a DT, because everyone else has been using him wrong.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My hope was to trade down & take either CeeDee Lamb or one of the OLinemen, but I was fine with seeing what Simmons could be. My biggest fear was that he played against weak competition in the ACC

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's so weird....I'm old enough to remember that when Simmons went to the Giants, Daboll said Simmons wanted to play LB, not safety as the Cards had him...the same Simmons who told Gannon he wanted to play safety, not LB....lol

This dude is gonna end up on a 3rd team as a DT, because everyone else has been using him wrong.

He lines up at both for them just like he did with us. It's obvious Wink Martindale hasn't found the secret sauce either.

For me his basic weakness is, and always has been he's slow to diagnose plays so as a LB he waits too long and winds up late to the ball, as a Safety he does what he did yesterday and abandons his assignment because he's guessing the ball is going underneath not understanding the bigger picture, no help with Tyreek Hill about to take the top off.

Straight ahead speed and athleticism isn't as valuable on defense if you take too long to read and react, or if you're constantly guessing. I always joked we should have moved him to TE but I honestly think he probably would have been a better offensive player than defense because he wouldn't have to diagnose the play as much.

He's not a horrible player but you have to put him in situations where if he makes a mistake, it's not a TD, and in the NFL that's hard to do because teams seek him out.

He has 20 tackles total in 5 games, had 9 in the game yesterday, 7 solo but was a complete non factor anyways. As mentioned aside from the Hill td he had a play where he met Mostert in the hole and got absolutely ran over. The rare play where he guessed right, got there to fill the hole in the right gap, and still couldn't get him down.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Ill take the "L" on Simmons

thought he would solve the TE problem the Cardinals had

-- a modern defender who go sideline to sideline and stay on the field no matter what the offensive personnel were

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

My guess is he is trying anything to stay in an NFL roster. He's telling everybody what they want to hear.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is he is trying anything to stay in an NFL roster. He's telling everybody what they want to hear.

I don't think he's in jeopardy of not having a job, he was splaying ST yesterday, he had 9 tackles. He IS an NFL player, he's just not worthy of the pick we made him. For us that meant he had to go, for the GIants who didn't pick him and didn't give up much to get him, it's different.

His issue now is he's going to be a free agent and his next contract isn't going to likely be anything like he expected it would be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson