OT : Trey Lance was 3rd string with 49ers, traded to Pukes

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a move forecast by about 99% of this board on draft day, the 49ers have announced Sam Darnold has won the backup job for the 49ers and they're now rumored to be trying to trade Trey Lance, who they gave up multiple picks for not that long ago.

I actually feel bad for him it was obvious he hadn't played that much and was the wrong choice for a team that was clearly a deep playoff team in need of a QB that could stay healthy. Kept getting hurt and when he did play wasn't that good.

Crazy situation completely blew the pick, gave up picks to get him, but lucked into Brock Purdy the next year so they still ended up with a QBOTF.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will see on Purdy

Yeah I'm not saying he's great I'm saying he showed last year he can execute the offense, as well or better than Jimmy G did.

There's some talk he's struggled in camp he's not 100% over his injury but he's so experienced and calm the difference between him and Lance is just night and day in that regard.

Lance barely played in college and it shows

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think Trey Lance and Anthony Richardson could give 10% commission on his salary to Josh Allen

Josh was a small school Qb who didnt have a great completion % but had prodigious physical and athletic gifts --- and he turned out to be great

prior to Josh -- that kinda of profile didnt really work out that well in the NFL

i think NFL GMs can point to guys like Trey and Richardson and imagine the next Josh Allen

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i think Trey Lance and Anthony Richardson could give 10% commission on his salary to Josh Allen

Josh was a small school Qb who didnt have a great completion % but had prodigious physical and athletic gifts --- and he turned out to be great

prior to Josh -- that kinda of profile didnt really work out that well in the NFL

i think NFL GMs can point to guys like Trey and Richardson and imagine the next Josh Allen
Richardson fits the mold of Allen but Lance was more akin to Carson Wentz and Murray….Lance was very accurate in college who was a one-year wonder like Murray and Lance went to the same school as Wentz.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You’re forgetting about Wentz.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Richardson fits the mold of Allen but Lance was more akin to Carson Wentz and Murray….Lance was very accurate in college who was a one-year wonder like Murray and Lance went to the same school as Wentz.
Eh the big problem with Lance was his lack of passing attempts in college.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

I said that during the draft when Richardson was drafted. I think I said he owes Josh Allen a percentage of his paycheck.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It absolutely WAS being made by analytics geeks. Very few QBs are successful with so few starts and pass attempts. Add in the fact that Lance saw a very low level of competition and he had BUST written all over him.
That wasn’t the argument I was making

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a move forecast by about 99% of this board on draft day, the 49ers have announced Sam Darnold has won the backup job for the 49ers and they're now rumored to be trying to trade Trey Lance, who they gave up multiple picks for not that long ago.

I actually feel bad for him it was obvious he hadn't played that much and was the wrong choice for a team that was clearly a deep playoff team in need of a QB that could stay healthy. Kept getting hurt and when he did play wasn't that good.

Crazy situation completely blew the pick, gave up picks to get him, but lucked into Brock Purdy the next year so they still ended up with a QBOTF.
Who cares I think it’s awesome… And about half of us, predicted it when they drafted him…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson