OT: Pistons waive Josh Smith

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to believe the Suns or anyone are interested in Stephen Jackson. However if the Suns are, a major trade is likely on the horizon including Gerald Green.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to believe the Suns or anyone are interested in Stephen Jackson. However if the Suns are, a major trade is likely on the horizon including Gerald Green.

Yep. I heard the same thing about Green being on the trading block.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. I heard the same thing about Green being on the trading block.

This actually makes sense. IF, the starting guards are EB and Goran. Then IT's role is more instant offense off the bench than it is backup pg. In that case, the real logjam is both IT and Green trying to fill the same role.

Green is going to be a FA.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This actually makes sense. IF, the starting guards are EB and Goran. Then IT's role is more instant offense off the bench than it is backup pg. In that case, the real logjam is both IT and Green trying to fill the same role.

Green is going to be a FA.

All things being equal, I'd rather keep Green than Thomas. Thomas is redundant, and Green is unique (on this roster.) Green has some nastiness in him, and he can demoralize the other team. He can also score in a variety of ways, including posting up.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
All things being equal, I'd rather keep Green than Thomas. Thomas is redundant, and Green is unique (on this roster.) Green has some nastiness in him, and he can demoralize the other team. He can also score in a variety of ways, including posting up.

On the other hand, Green's lack of discipline is probably more permanently set than Thomas's is. Green can demoralize the Suns as readily as he can demoralize the opponent. If the choice were between the two, I'd keep Thomas on the grounds that he may yet still show some improvement.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't like that signing by Houston. I don't think him chucking up shots in Houston is going to make that team better. Didn't they just trade for Corey Brewer?

Errntknght

Reaction score
I don't like that signing by Houston. I don't think him chucking up shots in Houston is going to make that team better. Didn't they just trade for Corey Brewer?

I don't like the signing because it makes Houston better. Clearly Josh can be a cancer but on a contending team with two highly respected all stars I expect to see him rein himself in. His D and his passing will be highly valued. Frankly, Houston is doing so well of late I'd be disinclined to second guess almost any move they made. They might not have picked up Brewer had they known Smith would become available but he's not going to hurt them.

I think we should be watching for a chance to get PFs Terrence Jones or Tarik Black from Houston. They also have a 20 year rookie center named Clint Capela who might be worthwhile. It might even happen that Motiejunas will want out since Houston is promising Smith he will start... though, I suppose, they could slide him over to SF.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it'll throw off harden since he likes score so much. Harden could have been a champ along with the thunder had he stayed but wanted to be #1. Smith likes to shoot too. Dwight might clown around too much with his cancerous friend.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I saw this yesterday on twitter. C'mon Houston start tanking games!

You must be registered for see images attach

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
And how individual player stats can be very misleading.
I know it isn't always fair, but I have always thought Love is a little overrated simply because his stats don't lead to victories for his team. I would like to have Love on this team, but I just don't know if he would actually lead us to more wins than Kieff currently does. Kieff certainly doesn't match what love brings statistically, but what he does bring is clutch scoring in close games and that directly determines the outcome of those games.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I wonder if Greg Monroe is now happy in Detroit... IIRC he was quite vocal about not wanting to play on the same team as Josh Smith.

It will probably impact us if the Pistons stop being the Pist-ons as it may well put the Lakers in the 5th draft slot.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know it isn't always fair, but I have always thought Love is a little overrated simply because his stats don't lead to victories for his team. I would like to have Love on this team, but I just don't know if he would actually lead us to more wins than Kieff currently does. Kieff certainly doesn't match what love brings statistically, but what he does bring is clutch scoring in close games and that directly determines the outcome of those games.
i feel the same way, i mean even now he's putting up a lot of points and rebounds but the Cavs aren't winning just like the Wolves weren't winning. And now the cav's have a better supporting cast.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Josh Smith never had good player stats so not sure what you mean here...

His scoring wasn't extraordinary but he had fairly good all around stats - 16 pts, 8 boards, 3.5 assists, 2.5 blks per game and he was known as a good defender. Statisically, his worst trait was shooting 3's since he shot them at 28% and took quite a few. One year, 09-10, he did not shoot any 3's and his PER jumped over 25%.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had good years statistically in Atlanta.

He was a fantasy dream, not too far behind Marion. But wow, just look at this Detroit team now. Monroe is playing much better than he ever has. He said a couple of times that basically it needed to be him or Josh, maybe he was right? They might actually make the playoffs this season, no one has ever done that with as bad of a start as they've had. Incredible.

Steve

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This will cost us the Lakers pick. :(

The 76'ers, Knicks, and Wolves should all finish below the Lakers. Another team could slip behind them in the standings like the Jazz or Magic during a bad stretch. The Suns have to the be the most unlucky team in the league when it comes to how the ping pong balls land. They never move up and when they're owed a lottery pick it seems they get screwed somehow delaying it and the pick turning into a mid round pick, like the deal with the Bulls and Hawks in the last decade. The Lakers could finish with the 6th or 7th worst record but until the lottery drawing is complete they shouldn't plan anything. The Lakers will probably move into the top 3 and it wouldn't surprise me if they jumped into the top 3 in 2016 again before making the playoffs the following season when the Suns get the pick. We have plenty of young players and rookies right now, I think it'd be best to trade that pick since I'm sure other teams view that as having a lot of value, much more than any of the Suns own picks.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The 76'ers, Knicks, and Wolves should all finish below the Lakers. Another team could slip behind them in the standings like the Jazz or Magic during a bad stretch.

Yes, that's a very interesting and important topic.

I think that the Jazz is simply a better team than the Lakers. I'm not sure at all that we can say the same about the Celtics, Magic and Hornets.

All in all I still think that there is a decent chance that the Lakers end up with #6.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the Lakers pick, they could easily finish between 4-6. Then in the lottery, some other team could easily move ahead of them. So getting the pick, even if they finish with the 4th worst record, is a real possibility.

They could also win the lottery and move up.

I do think getting the pick this year is better than waiting a year. You never know what moves they could make and where the pick could end up in 2016. The future doesn't look too bright, but they could draw a FA or two, or a couple rookies could really develop. Its a hard thing as a Suns fan. We are so used to the Lakers pulling a rabbit out of the hat regarding getting personnel. Jabbar, Magic, Worthy, Kobe, Shaq, Gasol, etc. But they no longer have Jerry West, and their front office seems to be suspect. You hope against hope that they have descended to NBA normalcy and will struggle through a longer rebuild like most other teams do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison