Pre-Season Game 1 notes

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
While this may be my one post for the preseason games, still it was great to see football.

The new helmet rule just may not be as crazy as I first thought. It is a brand new rule, I think the referees need to be given a little slack for, that penalty......just that penalty, tho. LOL I had to suffer through the new "goalie interference"rule last year in the NHL (and it sucked just like this one). Still, anything to make the game a little safer is good, never lead with our heads in rugby, and LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, yeah, people can still hit you REALLY hard without using their heads.

On to the game. My biggest concern is depth, and that will happen when a new coach takes over a roster, especially in the first year. But, there are depth issues with this team right now, the starters look good. What else do you want ? 3 & out on defense and a TD on the first offensive possesion. David Johnson looked like he was playing against highschool team. His strides are especially "long" this year. He ripped off two 14 yard runs, and he covered ground, and fast.

Under Wilks, you might as well make the nickel back position a starting position. I say this because Tre Boston was on the field a lot. Baker, Boston, and Bethea is going to be on the field a lot together. It was nice to see Haasan Reddick make some plays, and he looked fast, you just hope his head catches up to his body, because he can cover some ground. Jamar Taylor looked solid, he will due at cornerback.

Wilks said they are going to run the ball, and it looks like we are going to run the ball. THESMEL rejoice. The offensive line looks up to the task, just NO ONE can get hurt....well, maybe just one. On defense it was weird to see a 3-4 but basically it is the same defense out there, a lot of good talent.

As for rookies, I forgot to watch the center, but he was out there when the scored a TD. He could not have been THAT bad. Edmonds looks OK, great run on the TD, but we will see with him, he has to hit the hole and learn to stuff it up in there when nothing is there, he danced a little too much, IMHO. I do not get the entertainment that Kirk screwed up and easy punt return TD. Keep your feet and score!

Things got a little hairy once the second teams came in. Josh Rosen looked like a rookie, but his offensive line was horrible, and his receivers didn't help the rookie in his first game. One thing is for sure, he can sling it. The pass to Little on the deep out was impressive. Got a long way to go with this process, but I liked he took accountability in his press conference. Owned up to his mistakes, and didn't look too rattled about his sub-par performance.

Now onto the real depth.

The good would be Bene Benwiekere. He is a player, and a good backup at NB, maybe he can play outside for this team, but he was making things happen against his fellow NFL 2nd teamers. Rudy Ford looks like a keeper, guy has some speed. And one would think our Defensive End depth is now a complete open competition. Olsen Pierre looks good, and Gunter was servicable. Chris Campbell looks better than Brandon "gonna get cut" Williams. Cap Capi, has the earned to get moved up the chart, and see if he can do that to guys playing in the 1st half of these games. .......ugh, and I will ask the standard preseason question, do you give Kanoff a chance to play before Glennon?

Speaking of Glennon, here is where things got tough. Glennon looked REALLY bad, that is all that needs to be said there. The offensive line was terrible, and heaven help us all if they are the BEST of the linemen we have in camp. Holden is really bad, time to move Wetzel back to backup LT again. After all the talk of Daniel Munyer, that was very poor, and Boehm was Boehm. Wetzel was really the only player I saw that did well, and Allen would be the next best linemen, and he should not be on an NFL roster. They kept the same 2nd team line in the game once the starters came out. .......UGH. Looks like Williams and Kirk are out next Wide receivers after Brice Butler, all of which looked ....OK. I am not impressed with DJ Foster, and I would have liked to see TJ Logan run the ball more. Tight end seems to be 3 of the same guy, LOL, I dunno, they all looked "standard", keep in mind this is depth I am talking about, R.S.J looked good, and I think Gresham, if he gets back, will help.

Inside linebacker is concerning. Jeremy Cash looked like he would be a piece, then got hurt, and is now out for the season. Our linebacker group is thin, Scoobey Wright is currently our best backup. I noted the defensive linemen, and defensive ends above. Really it comes down to the linebacker depth currently on the roster, and the offensive depth as a whole.

1-QB: Sam Bradford
2-QB: Josh Rosen
3-QB: Mike Glennon/Kanoff

4-HB: David Johnson
5-HB: Chase Edmonds
6-HB: DJ Foster
7-HB: TJ Logan

8-FB: Derrick Coleman

9-WR: Larry Fitzgerald
10-WR: Brice Butler
11-WR: Chad William
12-WR: Christian Kirk (PR)
13-WR: Little/Sherfield/Tolliver/Nelson

14-TE: Rickey Seals-Jones
15-TE: Holmes
16-TE: Vollert
17-TE: Williams/(Gresham)

18-LT: DJ Humphries
19-LG: Mike Iupati
20-OC: Mason Cole
21-RG: Justin Pugh
22-RT: Andre Smith

23-OT: John Wetzel
24-OT: Will Holden
25-OG: Allen
26-OG: Evan Boehm
27-OC: Daniel Munyer

28-DT: Corey Peters
29-DT: Robert Nkimdiche
30-DT: Olsen Pierre
31-DT: Rodney Gunter

32-DE: Chandler Jones
33-DE: Mayowa/Dora
34-DE: J.Smith/C.Capi
35-DE: (Marcus Golden)

36-OLB: (Deone Bucanon)
37-OLB: Haasan Reddick
38-OLB: Edmonds Robinson
39-OLB: Oplinger

40-ILB: (Josh Bynes)
41-ILB: Scoobey Wright

42-CB: Patrick Peterson
43-CB: Jamar Taylor
44-CB: Chris Campbell
45-CB: Brandon Williams

46-NB: Budda Baker
47-NB: Bene Benwikiere

48-FS: Tre Boston
49-SS: Antione Bethea
50-S: Rudy Ford

51-K: Phil Dawson
52-P: Andy Lee
53-LS: Aaron Brewer

Obviously that is not your final 53, but based on what was put on our TV screen that is what would fill your typical roster. But guys like AJ Howard, and the other safety Turner would have a shot, as a team normally doesn't keep 10 OL on the roster, plus a few other positions will have more players, and other positions less.

Team looked good and ready to play, respective to it being preseason game 1. I am personally interested in how this will shake out. I think this will be a tough team to play against, just hope we get some wins. The fan in me wants to see this team go .500 and I would be happy. I would rather have a few bounces not go our way, and get 5 to 6 wins, with 3 or 4 of the games being determined by one or two plays. It would setup this team up for next offseason where there is ample cap money, and a decent draft position.

But that is the fun. We will see.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree our depth on the OL is scary bad. I also believe we are in trouble at RB after Johnson. Logan and Edmonds are third down backs at best and could never handle the load if DJ went down. Neither are as good as Kerwyn Williams in my opinion.

Will wait to see more from the receivers. Like our secondary and please let the Brandon Toast Williams experiment end.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree our depth on the OL is scary bad. I also believe we are in trouble at RB after Johnson. Logan and Edmonds are third down backs at best and could never handle the load if DJ went down. Neither are as good as Kerwyn Williams in my opinion.

Will wait to see more from the receivers. Like our secondary and please let the Brandon Toast Williams experiment end.
.....Based off?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Size and lack of experience. Still can't believe we even drafted Edmonds. Neither of these guys is moving the pile.
Lack of experience as evidence? C’mon man, that’s weak. That’s obvious the case when Edmonds hasn’t played a single regular season NFL down, yet.

Edmonds is slightly bigger than Kerwynn.

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
Still, anything to make the game a little safer is good, never lead with our heads in rugby, and LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, yeah, people can still hit you REALLY hard without using their heads.

I was a tight head prop and our coach in High School had played on the Welsh National Team. I was taught how to tackle 30 years ago, and I remember it like it was yesterday. Head on the hip, wrap arms around, slide down to trip them up...

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I was a tight head prop and our coach in High School had played on the Welsh National Team. I was taught how to tackle 30 years ago, and I remember it like it was yesterday. Head on the hip, wrap arms around, slide down to trip them up...

Same here my man, that was the final position I played for the last 5 years that I played the sport for. Good times.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Good stuff Rugby! I think we will be okay at quarterback. Bradford looks like he will be able to do a good job. I did expect Rosen to do better than he did, but how could he with the way that line played. I'm hoping he gets some playing time with the one's this week. I agree with you about Glennon. I was expecting him to look like a vet QB and he looked like an UDFA that changed positions. I didn't see that coming. Still I was pleased with the way Kanoff played. I would like to see Rosen get two full quarters each game to come up to speed.

At WR we have Fitz so far. If nobody steps up in the next preseason game I think they will really need to start finding a real number two guy that can step in and play. I know everybody hates Dez Bryant but he would solve that problem.

At RB I love seeing our boy DJ looking as good as he did. If he stays healthy for 16 games that could be the difference in being a playoff team. Chase Edmonds looked decent and should be a good change of pace back to spell DJ. I still want to see more of TJ Logan. The couple of carries he had he was hit before he could do anything.

At TE RSJ looked good, but I agree that everybody else was just so so. If Gresham comes back healthy we should be fine at TE.

The starting offensive line looks good. Humphries, Iupati and Pugh were all solid. I think Mason Cole will do fine. I think he is already an upgrade over Shipley. Better pass protector and moves much better than Shipley can getting out in space. They are about the same in strength right now though. Both can be pushed back by big DT's. Andre Smith is a good run blocker and will help DJ. His problem will be in pass pro. If Bradford is throwing anything long they will need to give Andre some help.

The second team O'line was horrible. The only two that played at all worth keeping were Wetzel and Boehm. I would prefer to see Boehm as the number two center and put the third team line in with the second unit. Drop Munyer, Holden and Allen from the team now and sign three new guys. I can't understand why Boehm wasn't playing center. That is his only position and the guy is good at it. Why they keep putting him at guard is a mystery to me.

On defense we are missing Marcus Golden on the d-line. So far the only one to step up is Cap Capi. I would put him with the first unit this week and see how he does. Nkemdiche looked good and so did Peters. With Pierre and Gunter as the backups I think we are fine at DT. We really need to sign another linebacker. Cash was looking good like you say. It's too bad he's gone now. I agree with you about our defensive backs. This is a good group. Jamar Taylor is still in his prime and Benwikere looks to be a player as well. Throw in PP21, Budda and Tre Boston and we have a solid unit. Even Rudy Ford looked good out there.

If Reddick and Nkemdiche step up this year like I think they will we will have a top ten defense that will keep us in games. A healthy Bradford and we can be a playoff team.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lack of experience as evidence? C’mon man, that’s weak. That’s obvious the case when Edmonds hasn’t played a single regular season NFL down, yet.

Edmonds is slightly bigger than Kerwynn.

Weak? Having your number two running back with no experience is a problem. That is a fact. This isn't a high round pick and I was shocked we picked him at all. We don't have anyone to carry the load if Johnson goes down.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Weak? Having your number two running back with no experience is a problem. That is a fact. This isn't a high round pick and I was shocked we picked him at all. We don't have anyone to carry the load if Johnson goes down.

It's only a problem if he doesn't perform.

Did we know what we had with Johnson at #2?

More than a few panned the pick if I recall.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

This argument is patently absurd. RB is one of the few positions you don't have to have NFL experience to be successful.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This argument is patently absurd. RB is one of the few positions you don't have to have NFL experience to be successful.

A small fourth round pick out of Fordham should not be your backup to DJ. In the past we had Chris Johnson and last year signed AP when DJ went down. This guy is a situational back at best in my opinion.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A small fourth round pick out of Fordham should not be your backup to DJ. In the past we had Chris Johnson and last year signed AP when DJ went down. This guy is a situational back at best in my opinion.
You must’ve attended a LOT of the rookie camp and training camp!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

This is dumb. The Saints had Alvin Kamara as their #2 back last year. Worked out okay for them.

There's no replacement for David Johnson. If he goes down, our entire offense is prolly screwed. That's what happens when you have an irreplaceable talent.

But experience at RB isn't a big problem. And Edmonds was a graduating senior, which means that he has more experience than someone like Leonard Fournette, who redshirted and then had two good seasons before going into the draft.

And AP and Chris Johnson were the hottest garbage imaginable. How did that help us?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is dumb. The Saints had Alvin Kamara as their #2 back last year. Worked out okay for them.

There's no replacement for David Johnson. If he goes down, our entire offense is prolly screwed. That's what happens when you have an irreplaceable talent.

But experience at RB isn't a big problem. And Edmonds was a graduating senior, which means that he has more experience than someone like Leonard Fournette, who redshirted and then had two good seasons before going into the draft.

And AP and Chris Johnson were the hottest garbage imaginable. How did that help us?

Chris Johnson helped plenty until he got hurt. You want know what dumb is? Comparing Edmonds to Fournette. Oh but Edmonds is a graduating senior. Well that makes me feel better.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Mostly correct. Before he got injured, the first year the Cardinals signed Chris Johnson was one of the leading rushers in the league. After that.....well, he was not very good.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Chris Johnson helped plenty until he got hurt. You want know what dumb is? Comparing Edmonds to Fournette. Oh but Edmonds is a graduating senior. Well that makes me feel better.

Chris Johnson averaged 2.5 YPC last year. He scored 0 touchdowns. What are you even talking about?

Edmonds has seen a lot of football. He's not as naturally gifted as Fournette, but he is more experienced than him as a rookie.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Johnson averaged 2.5 YPC last year. He scored 0 touchdowns. What are you even talking about?

Edmonds has seen a lot of football. He's not as naturally gifted as Fournette, but he is more experienced than him as a rookie.

I am not talking about Chris Johnson and last year. Injuries took care of him and he was done. Before they did he did well for us. Last year AP was fine and got hurt. Williams did a good job also and we didn't retain him. Point is we attempted to have an experienced back on the team other than the starter. Edmonds and Logan don't do it for me.

Edmonds has more experience in college? John Skelton had experience at the same college. I mean really?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I am not talking about Chris Johnson and last year. Injuries took care of him and he was done. Before they did he did well for us. Last year AP was fine and got hurt. Williams did a good job also and we didn't retain him. Point is we attempted to have an experienced back on the team other than the starter. Edmonds and Logan don't do it for me.

Edmonds has more experience in college? John Skelton had experience at the same college. I mean really?

You mean when Chris Johnson was the starter and then David Johnson took his job? Yes, if you have Chris Johnson as your starter, it's good to have David Johnson behind him.

Adrian Peterson averaged 3.5 YPC for us last year. After the Tampa game, he averaged 3.05 YPC. You want to bet that Chase Edmonds exceeds 3.05 YPC even after David Johnnson signs a new deal that guarantees him $70 million and tears his Achillies walking off the podium from the signing ceremony?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You mean when Chris Johnson was the starter and then David Johnson took his job? Yes, if you have Chris Johnson as your starter, it's good to have David Johnson behind him.

Adrian Peterson averaged 3.5 YPC for us last year. After the Tampa game, he averaged 3.05 YPC. You want to bet that Chase Edmonds exceeds 3.05 YPC even after David Johnnson signs a new deal that guarantees him $70 million and tears his Achillies walking off the podium from the signing ceremony?

Look at 2015 and the mix they had. Chris and David Johnson, Ellington and Williams. Johnson went down with an injury and was never the same. Yes I will bet Edmonds doesn't average 3.5 yds per carry. Again I don't care if we have Edmonds on the team. Need an experienced RB after Johnson somewhere on the roster.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Look at 2015 and the mix they had. Chris and David Johnson, Ellington and Williams. Johnson went down with an injury and was never the same. Yes I will bet Edmonds doesn't average 3.5 yds per carry. Again I don't care if we have Edmonds on the team. Need an experienced RB after Johnson somewhere on the roster.

Why? Ellington and Williams were trash, too. Chris Johnson was signed after camp started and no one in the RB room wanted to practice. Kerwynn Williams was on and off the roster 8 times in 2015.

What is the purpose of an "Experienced RB"? What does that mean to you? If Edmonds can hold up even a little bit in pass pro, I'm fine with keeping him in there. Why would you feel better if the Cards signed Orleans Darkwa to a deal that paid him 3x what we're paying Edmonds?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why? Ellington and Williams were trash, too. Chris Johnson was signed after camp started and no one in the RB room wanted to practice. Kerwynn Williams was on and off the roster 8 times in 2015.

What is the purpose of an "Experienced RB"? What does that mean to you? If Edmonds can hold up even a little bit in pass pro, I'm fine with keeping him in there. Why would you feel better if the Cards signed Orleans Darkwa to a deal that paid him 3x what we're paying Edmonds?

Ellington, Williams and Johnson are all trash but Edmonds is fine as a backup to Johnson. Because as you say he is a graduating senior. He is less talented than the other big name college backs but has more college experience.

And I thought George Boone was a distant memory.

Reaction score

:stick::stick::stick: