OT: Patriots trade Brandin Cooks to Rams for 1st Round Pick

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They have mortgaged their future officially to win a super bowl this year. It would be awesome if it implodes and they go back to their old ram self and underachieving.:cool:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes me wonder about Brandon Cooks. Why would he be traded two years in a row?

He is due for a massive contract… The patriots very rarely pay those and were able to get a first rounder back that was much higher than they gave up for him… I hope this is just like the Sammy Watkins trade that the Rams get a one-year rental out of him and then can’t re-sign him....

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard that report was an April Fool’s joke today. Not sure of veracity of that tho.

Yeah watching NFL network now and they said that is unequivocally not true he is going nowhere

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Brandin Cooks: talented without question

but how many really talented players end up on three teams in their first five years?

makes you wonder whats up

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Brady makes WRs
To some degree. The guys he's had over the years have been pretty good elsewhere, just not used to their max, like Welker and Moss. Edelman and Amendola, Deion Branch even.

If Gronk is gone or can't keep up... yikes.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandin Cooks: talented without question

but how many really talented players end up on three teams in their first five years?

makes you wonder whats up

I think you guys are reading too much into it the patriots don’t want to give him the contract he’s going to command.... I’m hoping this turns out just like Sammy Watkins they give up a first and then lose him after the one-year rental

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I think Cooks was slightly disappointing for the Patriots last year and they don't want to pay what he's going to want.

I drafted him in my FF league last year and I was pretty disappointed with the results.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think you guys are reading too much into it the patriots don’t want to give him the contract he’s going to command.... I’m hoping this turns out just like Sammy Watkins they give up a first and then lose him after the one-year rental
I do wonder if this trade happened with the condition that he's going to sign a contract. It's hard for them to lose so much and then lose this again.

Part of me hopes they do - all to make it more complicated for them to keep Gurley and Goff happy while maintaining a winning roster.

No excuses for Goff now, that's for sure.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm calling it right now - they will draft lauletta at 31

I think Patriots kinda of locked the Cardinals down now. If they like Lauletta, Cards have to draft him at 15. That will be tough on my TV. I may end up losing it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
maybe

but the Patriots knew that last year too

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm calling it right now - they will draft lauletta at 31
why would they do that when they know, hell...everyone knows... they could get him with #63 with zero risk of him being gone by then?
at 31 they could actually pick a guy who will log real playing time

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Some details on the trade via NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-acquire-brandin-cooks-in-trade-with-patriots

Even though the Pats went to the SB this year, they have some major holes to repair. They keep winning with a no-name average D. Belicheat likes to trade down, not up---so it is going to be interesting to see how he plays it this time around.

They may move up for a QB given Brady's rocking chair status---do it to also block the Jets from getting their choice at QB. I wouldn't be surprised to see them move up for Barkley to pair with Grandpa Brady and give him a few more years.

Going to be fun watching the chess match evolve the closer we get to the draft. A little jealous that the Cards aren't more in the mix.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer

This is what all-in looks like.
The Rams’ first 5 slotted picks for 2018 ...
Round 1: To NE (Brandin Cooks)
Round 2: To Buf (Sammy Watkins)
Round 3: 87th pick (now their highest pick)
Round 4: To KC (Marcus Peters)
Round 5: To Den (Aqib Talib)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer

This is what all-in looks like.
The Rams’ first 5 slotted picks for 2018 ...
Round 1: To NE (Brandin Cooks)
Round 2: To Buf (Sammy Watkins)
Round 3: 87th pick (now their highest pick)
Round 4: To KC (Marcus Peters)
Round 5: To Den (Aqib Talib)

This is where we'll see if the trades we've talked about in other threads end up crippling them. None of this talent is going to come cheap, and the bill is going to come due soon.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
This is where we'll see if the trades we've talked about in other threads end up crippling them. None of this talent is going to come cheap, and the bill is going to come due soon.
That's why it's called the Not For Long league. They're obviously in win-now mode, and can't blame em with Goff and Gurley still on rookie contracts.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if the Pats make Lauletta a 1st round pick with this move - or Jackson/Rudolph.

But, I honestly don't see the point of them making this trade. Brady's running really thin on weapons now.

From what I hear, both the Cowboys and Patriots want Christian Kirk.

So at this point, I think the floor on Kirk is the Patriots second 1st round pick. At this point that's #19 (Cowboys), 23, 31. Of course it's possible they could of meant 2nd round pick. But if we want Kirk we'll need to trade back and/or up, because #31 is the likely floor and 19 or 23 is a possibility for him to be selected.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
its going to be interesting to watch. The Rams and the Chargers are still just dead bodies in Los Angeles...this should generate some buzz for the Rams, and if they can turn it into a serious super bowl run they will win the LA fan sweepstakes.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
. I’m hoping this turns out just like Sammy Watkins they give up a first and then lose him after the one-year rental
They are still light years ahead of our Cards even if they poopoo that #1 away! Hell our #1s are usually flops anyhow these days along with most 2nd!!! Teams cant compete for SBs let alone playoffs doing that regularly like the Cards.

Something has to change ASAP

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard