OT: Patriots trade Brandin Cooks to Rams for 1st Round Pick

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Cooks is very talented but he got lit up in the SB by Malcolm Jenkins. The Pats know something...

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
its going to be interesting to watch. The Rams and the Chargers are still just dead bodies in Los Angeles...this should generate some buzz for the Rams, and if they can turn it into a serious super bowl run they will win the LA fan sweepstakes.
This is a particularly valid point - the Rams need this. With PSLs going up to $10,000 reportedly, they need to give LA a reason to be interested and generate money. Can't afford to have games or seasons with a "meh" fanbase, when the old LA fans are all but gone.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
why would they do that when they know, hell...everyone knows... they could get him with #63 with zero risk of him being gone by then?
at 31 they could actually pick a guy who will log real playing time

1. He is a qb, and worth it if they are confident he will work out.

2. To get the fifth year option.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is no way Brandon Cooks signs with Rams before he knows what the FA market offers him. Look at what Sammy Watkins got. Cooks is more accomplished and will let better money too.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Btw this is exactly why Bellicheat is a complete genius & why Keim is a less than desirable GM.

I’ll be pissed as hell if they trade up & get a QB & we don’t aggressively get one in Rd 1

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Btw this is exactly why Bellicheat is a complete genius & why Keim is a less than desirable GM.

I’ll be pissed as hell if they trade up & get a QB & we don’t aggressively get one in Rd 1
I was thinking that the Cardinals should be criticized for not going out and getting Cooks for themselves.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Are we sure Brandin Cooks is good? He’s plays with two of the 10 best QBs ever and has never had double-digit TDs or 1200 yards?

He’s a guy you’re going to have to pay like a #1 but prolly never be a top 10 guy at his position.

Buckybird

Reaction score
I was thinking that the Cardinals should be criticized for not going out and getting Cooks for themselves.
I like the player a lot, but given the Cards situation I’d rather go in another direction on draft day, since we’re screwed at QB.

Yeah our WR Corp is a list of nobodies & pedistrian players outside of Larry Legend

Guys I like in order of preference:

15) Josh Jackson CB, Mike Hughes CB, Davenport DE, Roquan Smith LB, Harold Landry OLB, Christian Kirk WR

47) Michael Gallop WR, James Washington WR, Isiah Wynn OG, Harrison Phillips DT, James Daniels C, Anthony Miller WR

Last edited:

Buckybird

Reaction score
Are we sure Brandin Cooks is good? He’s plays with two of the 10 best QBs ever and has never had double-digit TDs or 1200 yards?

He’s a guy you’re going to have to pay like a #1 but prolly never be a top 10 guy at his position.
Pretty darn good K9, but he’s basically a HR hitter, blazing fast & consistent. In NE he’s was always going to be target #2 behind Gronk.

Imo he’s a notch below the best WRs in the game.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Pretty darn good K9, but he’s basically a HR hitter, blazing fast & consistent. In NE he’s was always going to be target #2 behind Gronk.

Imo he’s a notch below the best WRs in the game.
It does depend on what you want out of him but his blazing speed should be applicable to ANY offense. I can't think of a situation where you wouldn't benefit from a guy who can literally scare a defense into vacating the "box". 4.33 40 yard dash and the only player other than Antonio Brown to put up 1,000+ and 7+ TD's each of the last 3 seasons. During that time he had more 25+, 35+ and 50+ catches than anyone.

He's a DeSean Jackson clone and may even be better. McVay obviously wanted to get that kind of deep threat that he had in Washington and the Rams offense will, IMO, be better with Cooks than they were with Watkins. I was a big fan of the Watkins signing but he did not click with that offense for some reason. Watkins ran a 4.43 which isn't slow, but it isn't that fear-inducing speed that will cause a defense to have to adjust.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ve been defending the Rams’ recent moves but this is a head scratcher. Cooks isn’t worth a 1st rd pick given the fact he’s not a complete receiver like the elite guys. Now Cooks, Donald and Joyner are up for new deals after this coming season and Peters/Gurley the following year. Plus they gave up a 2nd for Sammy Watkins last year and have no first or second rounder this year. They need to at least win the NFC.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if the Pats make Lauletta a 1st round pick with this move - or Jackson/Rudolph.

But, I honestly don't see the point of them making this trade. Brady's running really thin on weapons now.

Edelman should be back. Malcolm Mitchell is back. Just signed Cordarelle Patterson. Watch out for Cody Hollister ( no name dark horse ). They always seem to make it work.

Rumor alert;

Brady was not enamored with Cooks.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cooks is a great pick up for the Rams, for this year. The Rams' front office is killing it in this offseason, and the only problem, and it's a BIG problem is their PAYROLL going forward. Evidently, it's okay, this season, but for the future?????

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Can you imagine how fun this off-season has been a Rams fans? Got to be nice to have an aggressive front office, they must have so much hope for the season

I’m pretty excited for the upcoming year as a Rams fan but I’m also leery about the future with all the draft picks they keep giving up. But if they get to the top of the mountain this year, I can stomach some bad years to come.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Reports this morning are saying Cooks and Goff have already been working out together this offseason and that Cooks is open to an extension. They need to lock him up after the Watkins fiasco.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They also got rid of Ogletree, Watkins, and Quinn.

So even with all the additions, they have had some subtractions, and they only have 1 pick in the top 130. No 2nd rounder next year.

Meanwhile they might not mesh, and many of them are divas. Some are older and just might not have the same fire they once did.

Plus the league has had a year to figure out how to defend against McVay's '15 seconds or more' offense. Others could copy it. Overall the league has had an offseason to crunch everything and find a solution to it.

Rams could be very good or could fail spectacularly.... this year, next year, 2020, 2021? I don't know, I just don't see this as a long term thing.

Their line is a long term mess of old and free agency. This could be a big problem soon.

This is the 2nd team to give up on Cooks. I just see a theme here. It feels very Redskins like. Buying names instead of future production. Whatever picks they eventually keep, even if they do mediocre or good won't be high picks, thus making it harder to draft good players in each round.

These moves may give a fan hope, but it may not deliver a winner. Personally I would hate to be pump and dumped as a fan.

They're going to have some big decisions as this is the 'cheap' years when Goff and Gurley are under their rookie contracts.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Steve Wyche (@wyche89) tweeted at 10:43 AM on Wed, Apr 04, 2018:
The Rams plan on signing recently acquired WR Brandin Cooks to an extension before the season, according to a team source. Cooks is scheduled to earn $8.5 on the final year of his deal in 2018. He's part of the long-term plan, which is why they traded a No. 1 for him.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Cooks is definitely not a #1. He was the 4th option in NE, but injuries to Edelman and Hogan pushed him up the totem pole. You don't pay #1 receiver money for a slightly better version of Desean Jackson. That said...he'll probably torch the Cards when we play them...

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also got rid of Ogletree, Watkins, and Quinn.

Ogletree did not fit Phillip's defense well. Watkins is an injury waiting to happen given his history and the new big $$$$ contract. Quinn was a PITA.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ogletree did not fit Phillip's defense well. Watkins is an injury waiting to happen given his history and the new big $$$$ contract. Quinn was a PITA.

Watkins was healthy and productive for hem last year and they lost a second In that deal... Quinn a PITA??? You just described 3/4 of the new acquisitions lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard