OT LaCava rakes Sarver over the coals

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW!!! Did LaCava rake Sarver over the coals tonight for getting rid of Gentry and hiring a person who has never coached a game in his life as his replacement. The usually mild-mannered LaCava told Sarver he should sell his share of the Suns to someone who had a little bit of basketball knowledge. He said it will take 5 years to straighten out the Suns.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't really think Sarver is the main problem... the people he hired are the main problem which maybe falls back on him but ultimately the worst moves that brough us here were made by Bryan Colangelo, Mike D'Antoni, Steve Kerr, Lance Blanks and Lon Babby.

Traded #7 pick to sign QRich? Colangelo

that trade forced them to trade Q and a pick for Kurt Thomas.

Mike D'Antoni signs Banks, that forces Kerr to unload Kurt Thomas with picks.

Mike D'Antoni does not want Rondo, so they trade the pick.

Babby signs Chidress, Warrick and traded for Turkoglu.

Blanks and Babby sign Beasley.

Blanks and Babby wanted to sign Felton, Sarver urged them to sign Dragic instead.

Sarver declined to extend Amare for the max which was neither right nor wrong move since they could have terminated his contract instead of having to use that option on Childress who Babby signed instead.

Overall the reputation of Sarver being cheap is not entirely fair as the Suns had one of the bigger payrolls since he owns the team.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think Sarver is cheap, I think that when it comes to basketball, he's incompetent.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think Sarver is cheap, I think that when it comes to basketball, he's incompetent.

He just needs to have all the coaches, players and FO staff sit down and make collages then everything will work out.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm no fan of Sarver, but the Colangelo's made some stupid decisions themselves and never brought a championship to Phx. This board was full of complaining about them prior to their leaving. This team needs a serious reboot and it won't take Sarver selling to do that. I'd be pretty surprised if Babby and Blanks are not out after the season. Contracts are up and honestly I don't think Babby enjoys running a team. I may be alone, but I agree with giving the coaching position to Hunter over the other assistants. It's a temp position for the rest of the season and when Sarver brings in a new President and GM, they can decide based on the job he's done whether to keep him or look elsewhere for a coach. I don't like the idea of giving the coaching position to one of the other assistants, I don't see anything changing if that was done. I don't think Sarver is cheap, I think he's clueless about basketball and finding others to run things who do. He's far too involved in things he doesn't have the background for. It's an ugly time for Suns fans. Let's just hope he cleans house with the front office and finally hires a GM and President who know how to build a team. Most of all that he finally accepts that the best place for him to be is out of the way.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't really think Sarver is the main problem... the people he hired are the main problem which maybe falls back on him but ultimately the worst moves that brough us here were made by Bryan Colangelo, Mike D'Antoni, Steve Kerr, Lance Blanks and Lon Babby.

Traded #7 pick to sign QRich? Colangelo

that trade forced them to trade Q and a pick for Kurt Thomas.

Mike D'Antoni signs Banks, that forces Kerr to unload Kurt Thomas with picks.

Mike D'Antoni does not want Rondo, so they trade the pick.

Babby signs Chidress, Warrick and traded for Turkoglu.

Blanks and Babby sign Beasley.

Blanks and Babby wanted to sign Felton, Sarver urged them to sign Dragic instead.

Sarver declined to extend Amare for the max which was neither right nor wrong move since they could have terminated his contract instead of having to use that option on Childress who Babby signed instead.

Overall the reputation of Sarver being cheap is not entirely fair as the Suns had one of the bigger payrolls since he owns the team.

That is the biggest bunch of garbage EVER posted by ANYONE on the internet.

Sarver is the owner. He started his ownership with a great group of players and fan base.

He now has no players and no fan base.

How can anyone else but him be held accountable. He has been the one constant.

All those folks you suggest screwed up this franchise were paid by one Robert Sarver. Even his buddy Steve Kerr in the end could not put up with him.

Blaming D'Antoni for the Banks move is laughable. He only took the GM job because Sarver was too stupid and too cheap to hire a legit GM to replace BC when he left becauese Sarver got cheap on him. At the time D'Antoni was working 3 jobs. They were one of two moves away from a Championship. That is when you need a legit GM to work the phones and get that one player to put your team over the top. Now they could be a decade away from the playoffs

These two yokels he his has running the operation currently are the joke of the NBA. Robert Sarver hired them.

All these issues you claim he did not create, were on his watch.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Colangelo should get at least a nice chunk of the blame for Sarver. He is after all the one that sold him the team. I remember at the time Jerry said he wouldn't sell the team to just anybody but it seems like he sold to the first idiot that met his asking price.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Sarver is the owner. He started his ownership with a great group of players and fan base.

All those folks you suggest screwed up this franchise were paid by one Robert Sarver. Even his buddy Steve Kerr in the end could not put up with him.

Blaming D'Antoni for the Banks move is laughable. He only took the GM job because Sarver was too stupid and too cheap to hire a legit GM to replace BC when he left becauese Sarver got cheap on him. At the time D'Antoni was working 3 jobs. They were one of two moves away from a Championship. That is when you need a legit GM to work the phones and get that one player to put your team over the top. Now they could be a decade away from the playoffs

These two yokels he his has running the operation currently are the joke of the NBA. Robert Sarver hired them.

Right on, JWB. Sarver inherited a team on the cusp of greatness and disintegrated it all in a smattering of years.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Right on, JWB. Sarver inherited a team on the cusp of greatness and disintegrated it all in a smattering of years.
If Sarver isn't willing to stand up and take responsibility for the results of his ownership, he isn't worthy of owning our team. It may not be owned by the fans, but it belongs to the Valley of the Sun and to Arizona, who have put our hearts into the Suns and supported them for 44 years, long before Sarver got on board.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Jesus..... Preach it brother!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't agree with you much, but the above is spot on.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree with most everything here except for your opening sentence. You're correct, it was a bunch of garbage but I'm not even sure this makes slin's top 10.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sarver is the one who signed Childress, Babby wasnt even hired yet. That was during the insane period when idiot Sarver decided to go into free agency with no GM. The result was moves like Childress, Frye and Warrick getting long term deals and Sarver trading for one of the worst contracts in the league in Turkeyglue. In a brief few weeks Sarver did an astonishing amount of damage to the franchise and there is NO ONE to blame for that but Robert.

But as for Amare... how can it possibly be questioned if that was the right move? Just because we could amnesty him it means it would have been okay to keep him? Does anyone think we WOULD have amnestied him? 60-80 million bucks is a really tough amount of money for ANY owner to just flush down the drain. If he had been resigned I firmly believe he would still be on our roster hobbling around and playing his matador defense.

There have been a lot of bad moves made the last few years but the buck stops at Sarver. He steadily hired worse and worse people to run the team. And while his reputation of being cheap with the payroll is a little unfair (I WISH he was only cheap with the roster, instead he has been flat out stupid and thats far more damaging), his reputation of being cheap with the front office is totally over-looked and has been utterly devastating.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sarver is the one who signed Childress, Babby wasnt even hired yet. That was during the insane period when idiot Sarver decided to go into free agency with no GM. The result was moves like Childress, Frye and Warrick getting long term deals and Sarver trading for one of the worst contracts in the league in Turkeyglue. In a brief few weeks Sarver did an astonishing amount of damage to the franchise and there is NO ONE to blame for that but Robert.

It's pretty clear that Childress and Hedo were all about Babby even if he hadn't officially been named yet. It's no coincidence his former clients ended up with the Suns when no on else seemed that interested.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Jude LaCava for expressing your feelings about the disaster that is the Suns ownership under Robert Sarver.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pretty clear that Childress and Hedo were all about Babby even if he hadn't officially been named yet. It's no coincidence his former clients ended up with the Suns when no on else seemed that interested.

Sure, but when you're laying blame, those moves still have to rest on Sarver's doorstep.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even if Babby was whispering in his ear, he was not even on the payroll yet. And I honestly believe his influence in those moves if overblown. If Sarver was REALLY playing puppet to a guy (and player agent for that matter) who was not even employed by him yet then he is truly one of the stupidest people to ever wear a 3 piece suit.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sure, but when you're laying blame, those moves still have to rest on Sarver's doorstep.

Steve

I'm not absolving Sarver. However the idea that Babby didn't orchestrate that off-season, or at least those moves seems naive.

Frye was also more of a market signing. He signed for less than what he was being offered by the Clippers. I personally would have let him walk, but at least the deal wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Frye's contract was pretty stinkin bad. I dont care if the Clippers were dumb enough to offer more. No one should ever be locking down bench players for 5 year deals.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn