OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals should seize opportunity to make run at Deshaun Watson

https://arizonasports.com/story/252...seize-opportunity-to-make-run-deshaun-watson/

In Arizona, the bigger issue is whether the Cardinals should seize the opportunity and make a run at Watson. The answer is yes, definitely.

Watson is top-shelf elite, from courage to passion, from pocket quarterback to dual-threat, from arm talent to leadership. He’s 25, and as close to a sure thing as you’ll find at the position. Kyler Murray is on a much different journey and may one day end up in the same place.

But it’s a no-brainer.

If you can convince Watson to approve a trade to Arizona, signing off on our climate, a user-friendly organization and a reunion with Hopkins, the Cardinals should most certainly offer a fair price in return: a Texas schoolboy legend in Murray and either Isaiah Simmons; or a first-round draft pick in 2022.

That might get it done, and certainly worth a phone call.

After all, it’s the Texans.

---------------------------------------------

I wouldn't include Isaiah Simmons in any discussions.

But if we could swap Murray and another player or pick for Watson?

I'd do it.

Then we could worry about Kliff calling plays for Watson... :|

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Cardinals should seize opportunity to make run at Deshaun Watson

https://arizonasports.com/story/252...seize-opportunity-to-make-run-deshaun-watson/

In Arizona, the bigger issue is whether the Cardinals should seize the opportunity and make a run at Watson. The answer is yes, definitely.

Watson is top-shelf elite, from courage to passion, from pocket quarterback to dual-threat, from arm talent to leadership. He’s 25, and as close to a sure thing as you’ll find at the position. Kyler Murray is on a much different journey and may one day end up in the same place.

But it’s a no-brainer.

If you can convince Watson to approve a trade to Arizona, signing off on our climate, a user-friendly organization and a reunion with Hopkins, the Cardinals should most certainly offer a fair price in return: a Texas schoolboy legend in Murray and either Isaiah Simmons; or a first-round draft pick in 2022.

That might get it done, and certainly worth a phone call.

After all, it’s the Texans.

---------------------------------------------

I wouldn't include Isaiah Simmons in any discussions.

But if we could swap Murray and another player or pick for Watson?

I'd do it.

Then we could worry about Kliff calling plays for Watson... :|

Kyler, Simmons and a first would be lopsided in favor of Houston. I prefer screwing them over as opposed to them screwing us over.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Watson for Murray, maybe. Watson for Murray PLUS ?????...no...

Watson is the better QB and there will be other offers that will include multiple first-round picks and/or swaps. A 1-for-1 swap wouldn't be enough. I do know that I wouldn't give up a first rounder in any draft package.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that he is better let alone "much better."

What stats are you using? Comparing 32 games to 23 games?
In Watson’s 1st 2 full seasons, he was sacked 106 times. He also played for a significantly better team with a significantly better HC. BOB may have been a horrible GM, but he did win that division multiple times. He gets sacked because his release is LOOOOOOOONG.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To @PACardsFan point...by week 9 of the season it seemed like the only young QB people would take over Kyler was Mahomes..

Its possible by year 3 that Kyler can put together a complete season.

Again I'd take Watson now if it meant making sure the 49ers dont get him though.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watson is the better QB and there will be other offers that will include multiple first-round picks and/or swaps. A 1-for-1 swap wouldn't be enough. I do know that I wouldn't give up a first rounder in any draft package.
So, if Watson gets away with whining his way out of Houston, how long before he gets the $hits of OUR CRAPPY ORGANIZATION???
To @PACardsFan point...by week 9 of the season it seemed like the only young QB people would take over Kyler was Mahomes..

Its possible by year 3 that Kyler can put together a complete season.

Again I'd take Watson now if it meant making sure the 49ers dont get him though.
I disagree with your last paragraph. You don’t trade the best player on your team to avoid a divisional foe from getting him. Let the Niner’s trade away the farm for him. He doesn’t even fit into the Niner’s running system. When everything is said & done, Murray will have the better career. One more knee injury, to either knee, and Watson’s future is in question. And he loves contact. I don’t want a QB who looks for contact.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
what if I said I would include a slightly used Christian Kirk?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You are negligent as a franchise if you do not consider it. Watson is better than Murray right now. Murray has potential but all that means is he is not yet as good as he could be. It doesn't mean he will ever become that good.

The Texans are going to try to act like they have leverage. They have some, but not as much as they are attempting to show. Arizona, if interested, has one of the few players the Texans could actually market as a positive move in Texas Legend Kyler Murray. He is worth 3 or 4 1st round draft picks to them because Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Sam Darnold, Jimmy G, Jared Goff, and Tua aren't moving the needle. Those first round picks are worthless if you do not have a top QB. Legitimately, Kyler Murray and Christian Kirk are the best offer in the league if Lamar or Herbert or Allen or Burrow are on the table. Watson is worth far more than any draft pick package can offer outside of Trevor Lawrence and @DVontel identified that it would be tough to see this kind of move happen in division.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are negligent as a franchise if you do not consider it. Watson is better than Murray right now. Murray has potential but all that means is he is not yet as good as he could be. It doesn't mean he will ever become that good.

The Texans are going to try to act like they have leverage. They have some, but not as much as they are attempting to show. Arizona, if interested, has one of the few players the Texans could actually market as a positive move in Texas Legend Kyler Murray. He is worth 3 or 4 1st round draft picks to them because Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Sam Darnold, Jimmy G, Jared Goff, and Tua aren't moving the needle. Those first round picks are worthless if you do not have a top QB. Legitimately, Kyler Murray and Christian Kirk are the best offer in the league if Lamar or Herbert or Allen or Burrow are on the table. Watson is worth far more than any draft pick package can offer outside of Trevor Lawrence and @DVontel identified that it would be tough to see this kind of move happen in division.
lol there’s only like 6-7 players in NFL history I’m trading 3-4 first rounders for & Deshaun Watson isn’t one of them, as great as he is. This ain’t the NBA where first rounders mean little.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
lol there’s only like 6-7 players in NFL history I’m trading 3-4 first rounders for & Deshaun Watson isn’t one of them, as great as he is. This ain’t the NBA where first rounders mean little.
I disagree. You have to trade 2 fist round picks just to move up and have a shot to draft a guy you hope is as good as Watson. So two 1st round picks is just the price to go from 6 to 3 OR 8 to 2. Add one pick for the proven talent of Watson. You can add one more for the bidding war. That puts you at four 1sts. The problem is that not all 1st round picks are equal especially when you do not have a QB.

Two first got Khalil Mack and he is not worth as much as Deshaun Watson.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I didn’t even look at the numbers but last year Watson completed over 70% of his passes at nearly 9 YPA. That’s with the 31st ranked rushing game. Insane.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn’t even look at the numbers but last year Watson completed over 70% of his passes at nearly 9 YPA. That’s with the 31st ranked rushing game. Insane.

Yes but he put many of these numbers in garbage time, when the Texans were already done in the score, don't forget

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yes but he put many of these numbers in garbage time, when the Texans were already done in the score, don't forget

Empty stats are dinking/dunking and taking what the defense is giving you. If a team is up big they’re game planning to keep everything short. Watson was #2 in YPA.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Empty stats are dinking/dunking and taking what the defense is giving you. If a team is up big they’re game planning to keep everything short. Watson was #2 in YPA.

Using this point of view, even Bortles was pretty goo
BTW I really like Watson
But I like what we have with Murray

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Cards would have been in the playoffs this season with Watson IMO. He is a much better QB than Murray RIGHT NOW. I think Keim needs to make the call but I think the asking price will be too prohibitive. Also, there is the 2 blown out knees Watson has suffered that have to be taken into account, as has been mentioned.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree. You have to trade 2 fist round picks just to move up and have a shot to draft a guy you hope is as good as Watson. So two 1st round picks is just the price to go from 6 to 3 OR 8 to 2. Add one pick for the proven talent of Watson. You can add one more for the bidding war. That puts you at four 1sts. The problem is that not all 1st round picks are equal especially when you do not have a QB.

Two first got Khalil Mack and he is not worth as much as Deshaun Watson.
Yea, & the Bears still have yet to win a playoff game with Mack & while still good, hasn’t been as effective since he first got there.

Patrick Mahomes, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, & Aaron Rodgers are the only players I’m thinking about giving up FOUR first rounds pick for. I’d maybe sit & think about 3, but four? Nah. Hell nah.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave