OT: Deshaun Watson officially wants out of Houston

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going to be a very interesting off season with both Stafford and now Watson demanding to be traded. Cards will stick with Murray which is fine with me, just need to get some better players around him.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If I'm Houston, I do nothing unless I get blown away on an offer. He got a mega-contract last year but now is butt hurt over something. I have yet to hear JJ Watt demand a trade from that same team.

He has zero leverage unless McNair caves. I guarantee other owners are in McNair's ear not to cave and set a precedent for letting NFL players having the power of players in other sports to cry/force their way out.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm Houston, I do nothing unless I get blown away on an offer. He got a mega-contract last year but now is butt hurt over something. I have yet to hear JJ Watt demand a trade from that same team.

He has zero leverage unless McNair caves. I guarantee other owners are in McNair's ear not to cave and set a precedent for letting NFL players having the power of players in other sports to cry/force their way out.

If what Deshaun says happened really happened then this is already on McNair. Deshaun says he had been spoken to and told he would have input going forward on who the Texans would hire as GM and HC...and then they just hired the people they wanted without any real discussion.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If what Deshaun says happened really happened then this is already on McNair. Deshaun says he had been spoken to and told he would have input going forward on who the Texans would hire as GM and HC...and then they just hired the people they wanted without any real discussion.
Well, that's McNair's fault for telling him that. Still, it's no reason for Watson being butt hurt. He's a player. Like I used in the earlier example, is JJ complaining because he had no input? Watson should have no input on front office decisions. No player should. That's the sign of a bad front office.

Let me clear that up. It's okay to ask a player what they'd like in a HC, or coordinator, but for them to have any final say is ridiculous. And, if the FO moves in a different direction, then so be it. You can not like it and ask for a trade, but, if I'm the OWNER, I'm not succumbing to players demands.

If Deshaun wants to give back his money and then move on, then do that. But take the money and then cry about things and expect trades to happen because you're not happy, go kick rocks.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Well, that's McNair's fault for telling him that. Still, it's no reason for Watson being butt hurt. He's a player. Like I used in the earlier example, is JJ complaining because he had no input? Watson should have no input on front office decisions. No player should. That's the sign of a bad front office.

Let me clear that up. It's okay to ask a player what they'd like in a HC, or coordinator, but for them to have any final say is ridiculous. And, if the FO moves in a different direction, then so be it. You can not like it and ask for a trade, but, if I'm the OWNER, I'm not succumbing to players demands.

If Deshaun wants to give back his money and then move on, then do that. But take the money and then cry about things and expect trades to happen because you're not happy, go kick rocks.
It’s called PES - Player Entitlement Syndrome. I hope the Texans stand firm and fine him into oblivion. The lack of professionalism is astounding.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I guarantee other owners are in McNair's ear not to cave and set a precedent for letting NFL players having the power of players in other sports to cry/force their way out.

this is a very good observation

NFL owners look at the NBA and the way players can force movement and shudder

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Some good teams out there who need a QB who are ready to contend though. Niners and Colts top the list for me.

In theory yes the problem with the 49ers as the bay area guys are all pointing out is the team is built to run the ball. Yes they have Kittle, and Aiyuk and Deebo both show promise, Deebo can't stay healthy, but that offense is built to run the ball. If you get a guy like Watson they're going to have to get better receivers and the OL is largely made up of run blockers not pass blockers. He's good so obviously if they can get him they'd try, but they're not "built" to just fit him in. He'd be scary with Shanahan though.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Miami smashes any offer we have if it’s Kyler + non-1st

Also, Watson’s first year cap hit with his new team would be $10.5m.

https://overthecap.com/exploring-the-costs-of-trading-star-qbs-in-2021/
I really disagree with this. I think there is a much larger gap between Tua and Kyler than most are giving credit. Tua + the #3 pick does not give them an exciting QB. It gives them a high pick and a QB who consistently got benched for Ryan Fitzpatrick. Even if you add multiple picks along with it, if you don't have a QB, they really don't matter.

We see all the faults with Kyler but unbiased folks tend to see him as a dynamic playmaker and a modern-day Michael Vick. I think any package for Watson is going to be more about the QB they get back than the draft capital they receive. And, if that is the case, I think the Jets have a better offer than the Dolphins.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The thing is about any trade involving Murray, we don't know how good Murray is with Kliff Kingsbury as head coach.

Almost a given. Outside of experience I dont think there is anything Deshaun can give you that Kyler wont eventually give you and more

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, Gambo interviewed one of the Houston journalists. Gambo threw out there a hypothetical trade of Kyler, a 2nd and a 3rd, and she’d said that Houston might want a 1st instead. Not sure Kirk would seal the deal, TBH. Maybe Kyler, Kirk and a 2nd gets it done.

Again the kicker in all this is that if the Cards even broach the subject they better know in advance what Kyler is going to think. Because if they make an offer, the Texans say no, and Kyler does NOT like the idea of being floated as trade bait, he's got the option Watson doesn't have to just go play baseball

Now going home to Texas might be what he wants, but that's what makes it so hard unless he literally has his agent leak it to the Cards he's open to a trade, how do you find out if if he is or not without making it clear you're considering it?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I really disagree with this. I think there is a much larger gap between Tua and Kyler than most are giving credit. Tua + the #3 pick does not give them an exciting QB. It gives them a high pick and a QB who consistently got benched for Ryan Fitzpatrick. Even if you add multiple picks along with it, if you don't have a QB, they really don't matter.

We see all the faults with Kyler but unbiased folks tend to see him as a dynamic playmaker and a modern-day Michael Vick. I think any package for Watson is going to be more about the QB they get back than the draft capital they receive. And, if that is the case, I think the Jets have a better offer than the Dolphins.

Straight up Kyler is the better asset but Miami can make up the difference and then some. Tua was coming off a significant injury with very limited training camp and no preseason. They can replace what Houston gave up for Tunsil+

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Again the kicker in all this is that if the Cards even broach the subject they better know in advance what Kyler is going to think. Because if they make an offer, the Texans say no, and Kyler does NOT like the idea of being floated as trade bait, he's got the option Watson doesn't have to just go play baseball

Now going home to Texas might be what he wants, but that's what makes it so hard unless he literally has his agent leak it to the Cards he's open to a trade, how do you find out if if he is or not without making it clear you're considering it?
If my QB is going to get pissy and wilt because the GM inquired about a trade, I don't want him as my QB

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If my QB is going to get pissy and wilt because the GM inquired about a trade, I don't want him as my QB

I didn't say wilt I said he has an option almost no other NFL player has, he has a baseball contract waiting for him.

Aaron Rodgers was furious the Packers took a QB, made it public, he's done it before. He went out and had a great year. If Rodgers was 23, had the A's sitting by waiting and the Pack asked about trading him without him approving, I think Aaron Rodgers would either have become a baseball player, or he would have demanded the Packers trade him and made the HOF for another team.

We may not like it but Kyler has an unusual situation the A's would take him in a heartbeat right now. He clearly has ears and eyes and an agent, if he wants to play in Texas he can get that leaked back to the Cardinals very easily. But if he doesn't and we look into it anyways, we may wind up with neither Watson nor Murray