OT: Carson Wentz released

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
To be fair... Gardner Minshew has literally only won two games in 12 starts over the past three seasons. He's 8-16 all time. Carson Wentz is one season removed from a 9 win season and throwing 27 TDs.

Minshew's a fun follow but the love is going a little bit too far for a guy who couldn't squeeze out a win with a hyper-talented roster to lock in the #1 seed.
Let's make this clear, I want Brissett (sp?, who cares he has not been a Cardinal) and Minshew is a four game tease but all it takes is a year to confirm you suck at the position when you reach Wentz's current decline (might as well sign RG III)... hell, I would take Mariota over Wentz which is not exactly a ringing endorsement lol

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a member in good standing of the Commonwealth, any joke at the expense of the whinging Prince p.u.s.s.y-whipped is fine by me. ;)

This is both not appropriate for the Cardinals forum it is also a deliberate attempt to get around the language filter

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Let's make this clear, I want Brissett (sp?, who cares he has not been a Cardinal) and Minshew is a four game tease but all it takes is a year to confirm you suck at the position when you reach Wentz's current decline (might as well sign RG III)... hell, I would take Mariota over Wentz which is not exactly a ringing endorsement lol
Hey, I've been a Brissett stan since the beginning of the offseason, so we can at least agree there. I think he's the perfect stopgap, as someone who doesn't really envision himself as fighting for a starting spot anymore, but someone who can fill a pretty incredible role for a team looking for reliability. Brissett reminds me of what Ryan Fitzpatrick was for so long. Not a starter, but able to provide a spark and win a few games.

It's wild you'd take Mariota over Wentz, though. Atlanta practically played the single wing this last season, and still cut him for a 3rd round Ridder that didn't prove much.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I'm taking Cooper Rush over him.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Hey, I've been a Brissett stan since the beginning of the offseason, so we can at least agree there. I think he's the perfect stopgap, as someone who doesn't really envision himself as fighting for a starting spot anymore, but someone who can fill a pretty incredible role for a team looking for reliability. Brissett reminds me of what Ryan Fitzpatrick was for so long. Not a starter, but able to provide a spark and win a few games.

It's wild you'd take Mariota over Wentz, though. Atlanta practically played the single wing this last season, and still cut him for a 3rd round Ridder that didn't prove much.
Not wild, we are talking stop gaps and not franchise QBs lol

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

That is not a word that ever applies to Brissett. He was less than good with a good offensive roster in Cleveland and a strong running game. He's basically the textbook definition of a bang average backup QB. Dime a dozen.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is not a word that ever applies to Brissett. He was less than good with a good offensive roster in Cleveland and a strong running game. He's basically the textbook definition of a bang average backup QB. Dime a dozen.

Yeah I don't get it.

He was 4-7 with a great O line, the best run game in the league and decent receivers. He's 18-30 in his career.

He had 12 TD's and 6 INT's and an 88.9 passer rating.

Taylor Heinicke would be a better option.

Heinicke was 5-3-1 last year and is 12-12-1 in career starts on a team with a poor run game and a bottom 3rd O line. He's a better runner than Brissett too.

He was also 12-6 TD/INT last year and 89.6 passer rating but behind a worse line.

Heinicke has some fight in him as well where Brissett is just a plodder. There isn't much between them but Heinicke should be cheaper than Brissett too.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Here is a chance for Monti to play 4D chess.

Is there any team that is willing to sign Wentz as a starter right now? Probably not....so he will get a chance to play in the preseason, and then have to wait until a potential injury occurs to get a shot.

OR.....

We sign him to a VERY VERY team friendly deal, and tell him "You are going to operate as the starter until Kyler comes back, or we trade you".

We would give Wentz an offseason, Preseason, and probably 6+ games as a starter to try and show he still has something in the tank. Im not sure when the trade deadline is, but I dont think Wentz gets a chance to play as much early in the season anywhere else.

Best case scenario, he plays well and we are able to trade him for a mid round pick.

Worst case scenario, he plays out the year as our backup and we move on

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Is there any team that is willing to sign Wentz as a starter right now? Probably not....so he will get a chance to play in the preseason, and then have to wait until a potential injury occurs to get a shot.

OR.....

We sign him to a VERY VERY team friendly deal, and tell him "You are going to operate as the starter until Kyler comes back, or we trade you".

We would give Wentz an offseason, Preseason, and probably 6+ games as a starter to try and show he still has something in the tank. Im not sure when the trade deadline is, but I dont think Wentz gets a chance to play as much early in the season anywhere else.

Best case scenario, he plays well and we are able to trade him for a mid round pick.

Trade deadline is typically the Tuesday following week 8 games...but it looks like some owners/teams are pushing to have it changed to week 10 or even week 12, to allow for the possibility of more trades. Worst case, though, is week 8.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Trade deadline is typically the Tuesday following week 8 games...but it looks like some owners/teams are pushing to have it changed to week 10 or even week 12, to allow for the possibility of more trades. Worst case, though, is week 8.
That would be plenty of time to determine if he still has anything left in the tank. Like I said...best case is he plays himself into a trade. Worst case he loses a bunch of games as our backup and we cut him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

OR.....

Worst case scenario is you have a locker room cancer tainting the new regime.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Carson Wentz has proven who he is. Not a starter, not a “stop gap” (unless you’re tanking) and not a good back up. There is also some indication that he’s a douche. No way I want him on the Cards. No freaking way.

Reaction score

Fitzpatrick lives in Chandler. Maybe he would consider coming out of retirement for one year? :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson