Oppenheimer

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think of Oppenheimer and the people I have known that would have loved that movie. It came about 20 to 30 years too late. I am AMAZED it has garnered so much attention. Nearly everyone alive back then is dead.
Nolan is basically trusted IP at this point.

i don’t think any other Director could have opened that movie that big considering subject matter and lead actor.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just a little surprised that Memento is bottom 4. Like Reservoir Dogs for Tarentino, I think Memento is brilliant and among Nolan's best movies.
Momento could have been two spots higher. I struggled a little with that section.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not with the strike and studios starting to rumble about pushing all the biggies left this year until 2024 because they’ll have no one to promote them.
Maybe provide incentive that the business can get strong again and maybe make the studios change their tune? Wishful thinking I know but the amount of content available is going to dwindle as time goes by.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think of Oppenheimer and the people I have known that would have loved that movie. It came about 20 to 30 years too late. I am AMAZED it has garnered so much attention. Nearly everyone alive back then is dead.

It's not as if the subject and Oppenheimer's role haven't been covered in the past in both movies and docudramas.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's not as if the subject and Oppenheimer's role haven't been covered in the past in both movies and docudramas.
I didn't know that. I have seen documentaries. I didn't know there were movies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both of these movies are just dominating. Barbie with a WB record high Monday 26 million and Oppenheimer with an also unheard of 12 million dollar Monday for an R rated Drama.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both of these movies are just dominating. Barbie with a record high Monday 26 million and Oppenheimer with an also unheard of 12 million dollar Monday for an R rated Drama.

My 18 year old nephew has seen Barbie 3 times already and Oppenheimer twice. My 19 year old daughter has seen Barbie Twice and Oppenheimer as well. A lot of their friends have seen Barbie multiple times. Seems to be very popular among that age group who just happen to be stuck at home during the tail end of summer break with oppressive heat keeping everyone indoors.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In these man-bun times, of course, they are.

You do realize that Ken's interest in Barbie stems from the sudden, stunning realization that he's, in fact, a Lesbian, right?
To be honest, I haven't seen the trailer or know anyone who has seen it to provide details.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is true I'm going to hate the movie. I have a hearing disability already, and I will likely have zero desire to wait for streaming where it's free and re-watch a 3-hour flick just to read the subtitles and understand more of the dialogue.

I hear ya, sir! (pun intended). The entire upper range of my hearing is toast, so much so that my $4200 hearing aids do absolutely nothing for me. I look forward to seeing the movie, but will do so at home with captions. :sad:

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
I just watched Oppenheimer at IMAX in Arizona Mills. I had recently rewatched Dunkirk Wednesday on Netflix. It is hard to compare movies, and I think Dunkirk is a great movie. Trying my best to discount the IMAX experience, I believe Oppenheimer is better, and affected me more. It was three hours long and I did not look at my watch because I was so engaged.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw this last week. I thought it was an excellent historical drama. And I didn't notice any sound issues. Solid performances all around.

But frankly, I wasn't that interested in the conflict between Oppenheimer and Strauss, though it was pretty critical to Oppenheimer's life, especially post Hiroshima. I was a little surprised they made it such a focus of the film. I know it was a major thing, but I am kind of burned out on stories of people being accused of being commies in that era.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That was a solid thing, the communism viewpoint. Heck, my first real job was at a military proving grounds. I grew up in the Cold War environment. After the wall went down, and we were supposedly all friends, they sent a delegation of Russians to one of my projects. The project engineer had to admonish everyone several different speeches on how we were all on the same side again. It's very hard for young people I work with to understand that era. Of course now we have Putin who no one trusts. It's still not the same. We were doing testing only in certain windows before that because of the Russian Satellites that could spy on us. Now, I don't think they worry about that anymore.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard