Oppenheimer

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just read that Oppenheimer is based on the book, "American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer," by Kai Bird and Martin Sherwin

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The black and white segments of Oppenheimer were shot with a new type of IMAX film created for these scenes.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Putting it on my watch list.
The British did a pretty highly regarded television series on the Manhattan Project and Oppenheimer back in the day - I think it was on Masterpiece Theater here, I think. It starred Sam Waterston as Oppenheimer.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

One thing that crossed my mind as I watched the excellent 2023 movie yesterday - those calculations (!), and without computers. :oops: Nolan adhered closely to American Prometheus, and the details of the film are historically accurate, by all accounts.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Saw it tonight. Theater was full. Great movie. Dragged a bit in the second half, but still great. Noticed the sound issue a couple of times but it didn’t impact viewership.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this again yesterday as the opener of a Barbenheimer doubleheader.

Ended up LOVING the first 2 hours, totally engrossed from minute 1 this time. But man… that 3rd act is a drag. The reveals just revealed nothing to me I didn’t already know. I didn’t catch anything the second time that made that last third more interesting. It just dragged.

But those first 2 hours are spellbinding.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this again yesterday as the opener of a Barbenheimer doubleheader.

Ended up LOVING the first 2 hours, totally engrossed from minute 1 this time. But man… that 3rd act is a drag. The reveals just revealed nothing to me I didn’t already know. I didn’t catch anything the second time that made that last third more interesting. It just dragged.

But those first 2 hours are spellbinding.
watched it again with my folks over the break... the third hour is pretty good on third watch and didn't have same quibbles as first two viewings. But those first two hours are still just spellbinding, even at home.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Linder and I plan on finally having the Barbenheimer watch party this weekend. I'm pretty excited about it, especially this movie.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, very powerful and seemed faster than the run time. No dialogue or sound issues. Sub was working a lot! Looks fantastic too.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Damn, very powerful and seemed faster than the run time. No dialogue or sound issues. Sub was working a lot! Looks fantastic too.
There's a couple big bass moments in it. Right hand side of this is the heat map for what's on disc.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard