Oppenheimer

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s my 2nd favorite Nolan film… maybe tied actually with Dunkirk.
Dunkirk is lower on my list. The cinematography was great but it dragged in so many places and the story was meh. Now you are going to make me think through a list.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Saw Oppenheimer last night. Enjoyed it, but probably placed too high of expectations on it. Little too long tying everything together at the end. But like Dunkirk, the over use of loud theatrical sounds to emphasize tension or whatever was done way to much for me. I guess that’s the directors trademark, just dont care for it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Saw Oppenheimer last night. Enjoyed it, but probably placed too high of expectations on it. Little too long tying everything together at the end. But like Dunkirk, the over use of loud theatrical sounds to emphasize tension or whatever was done way to much for me. I guess that’s the directors trademark, just dont care for it.
I didn't mind it, but it was jarring almost every single time he used it. A lot of periods of silence punctuated by large noises, sometimes out of nowhere.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't mind it, but it was jarring almost every single time he used it. A lot of periods of silence punctuated by large noises, sometimes out of nowhere.
Welp… at the very least, that’ll probably keep me awake round 1130 pm when I’m only halfway through this on Tuesday night.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Stuckmann says the audio was poor - like some other recent Nolan films.

He suggests that people watch it later with subtitles on so they can understand what people are saying.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If this is true I'm going to hate the movie. I have a hearing disability already, and I will likely have zero desire to wait for streaming where it's free and re-watch a 3-hour flick just to read the subtitles and understand more of the dialogue.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this last night. Fantastic!

Definitely could tell this was a Nolan movie. The first 30 minutes were a little bit confusing for me as I tried to figure out the time frame but then it really hit its stride and never looked back.

I'd put this as the 2nd best Nolan film behind The Dark Knight and closely followed by Dunkirk.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For everyone who saw this already, where would you rank this among Nolan’s films?
Oppenheimer broke into my top 5 Nolan list.
Inception
Dark Knight
Prestige
Batman Begins
Oppenheimer
Dunkirk
Dark Night Rises
Interstellar
Memento
Tenet
Following
Insomnia

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oppenheimer broke into my top 5 Nolan list.
Inception
Dark Knight
Prestige
Batman Begins
Oppenheimer
Dunkirk
Dark Night Rises
Interstellar
Memento
Tenet
Following
Insomnia
Interesting.

It’s pretty incredible when a movie as good as Insomnia can legitimately be at the bottom or towards the bottom of a Director’s filmography.

I used to slag that movie because it was a remake and right in the middle of Robin Williams as psycho-over-saturation point. But recently watched it over the pandemic for the first time in its entirety… maybe ever… and thought it was a rock solid thriller with a truly great performance from Pacino, not doing his usual Pacino at 11 thing.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

It’s pretty incredible when a movie as good as Insomnia can legitimately be at the bottom or towards the bottom of a Director’s filmography.

I used to slag that movie because it was a remake and right in the middle of Robin Williams as psycho-over-saturation point. But recently watched it over the pandemic for the first time in its entirety… maybe ever… and thought it was a rock solid thriller with a truly great performance from Pacino, not doing his usual Pacino at 11 thing.
Don't get me wrong. That list is INCREDIBLE. Being towards the bottom doesn't mean suck. It's just that IMO it wasn't as good as the original and a remake which is why I have it at the bottom. Again, most directors wish they had a list that good.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The Nolan rankings surprise me a little. You guys rate Dunkirk a lot higher than I do and I have Interstellar rated higher. I put it up just after Dark Knight and before The Prestige. Dunkirk, while well made, just didn't capture me. Maybe I need to watch it again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. That list is INCREDIBLE. Being towards the bottom doesn't mean suck. It's just that IMO it wasn't as good as the original and a remake which is why I have it at the bottom. Again, most directors wish they had a list that good.
Totally agree and Didn’t think you were sandbagging Insomnia at all. I’d have it bottom three too… which just speaks to how great that filmography is.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So Tom Cruise and Maverick get the movie business on its feet, could Barbenheimer start the return to its former glory?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm just a little surprised that Memento is bottom 4. Like Reservoir Dogs for Tarentino, I think Memento is brilliant and among Nolan's best movies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Nolan rankings surprise me a little. You guys rate Dunkirk a lot higher than I do and I have Interstellar rated higher. I put it up just after Dark Knight and before The Prestige. Dunkirk, while well made, just didn't capture me. Maybe I need to watch it again.
I saw Dunkirk twice on the IMAX and it was such an immersive experience that it knocked me out. I was surprised how much I loved it on the small screen though.

My viewing experience for Interstellar got totally screwed up. My buddy and I had IMAX tickets for it, got DUMB high and totally screwed up our timing getting to the Chinese Theater 25 minutes late. So we blew that show but were still determined to see it but ended up on a much smaller screen… and not as high. And the whole thing just kinda irked my experience. I know people swear by that movie, but I think I was both too hyped, too bummed and ultimately not high enough by the time we finally saw it.

The Prestige is great, and it’s ending is killer, but that movie is a little too cold for me to put it in my tippy top Nolan tier.

My list is probably:

The Dark Knight
Inception/Dunkirk
Memento
Prestige
Dark Night Rises
Batman Begins
Insomnia
Interstellar
Tenet (even though I’ve probably watched this ten times more than Insomnia/Interstellar, mostly because it was during the pandemic and I was so befuddled by so much of it that it was like a challenge to not only figure the movie out, but figure out if I even liked the freaking thing. Definitely would have enjoyed that experience on the big screen more. That movie seemed mammoth even on a flat screen. Oh… the pandemic days!)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Tom Cruise and Maverick get the movie business on its feet, could Barbenheimer start the return to its former glory?
Not with the strike and studios starting to rumble about pushing all the biggies left this year until 2024 because they’ll have no one to promote them.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hard to believe Barbie outdid Oppenheimer in ticket sales. Speaking of Cruise, saw new MI movie last week, it did not disappoint.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Hard to believe Barbie outdid Oppenheimer in ticket sales. Speaking of Cruise, saw new MI movie last week, it did not disappoint.
I think of Oppenheimer and the people I have known that would have loved that movie. It came about 20 to 30 years too late. I am AMAZED it has garnered so much attention. Nearly everyone alive back then is dead.