Oppenheimer

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am surprised they even use film anymore! How long before digital can surpass the quality of this format? I know IMax is considered superior to digital right now.

Brings back memories of threading high speed cameras with film in my old days working at a test site.
They can’t use digital in IMAX? Really?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can’t use digital in IMAX? Really?
Have not kept up on it much but as I recall IMAX 70MM is equivalent of 12K. IMAX digital theaters only use Digital for their 3D capabale theaters using two 2K projectors.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow - $24 for an afternoon IMAX ticket where I live.
They can shove that ticket where the sun don't shine! There's a reason I don't go to pro sports games often--they've priced themselves out of my patronage. Except for the Pittsburgh Pirates--you can see them for peanuts, but who'd want to? lol

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They can shove that ticket where the sun don't shine! There's a reason I don't go to pro sports games often--they've priced themselves out of my patronage. Except for the Pittsburgh Pirates--you can see them for peanuts, but who'd want to? lol
No kidding. The $24 is pretty crazy. It looks like I could find a $8 matinee ticket on a standard screen (or maybe $17 on IMAX), if I were in Phoenix next week.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If the movie is as good as reports say it is, I’ll be happy to pay that much. I wouldn’t for every movie. But if this is truly Nolan’s masterpiece, that’s going to be a priceless cinematic experience for me.
I was thinking that too! I would pay that much for a play, concert, etc. Once a year, if it's the true max projector, it would be cool.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that too! I would pay that much for a play, concert, etc. Once a year, if it's the true max projector, it would be cool.
Yeah. I wouldn’t pay for it going to LieMAX theater. But the Chinese Theater is the real deal and any time I’ve seen a movie film in IMAX format there it’s been an incredible theater experience.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Is the Mills still the only true IMAX in the valley? I miss the Galleria one from back in the day. It was nice having on in downtown Scottsdale.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the Mills still the only true IMAX in the valley? I miss the Galleria one from back in the day. It was nice having on in downtown Scottsdale.
Looks like there's quite a few. Arizona Mills has one, Superstition East out on Signal Butte, Desert Ridge, Westgate, Deer Valley, and Surprise.

But I don't know what true IMAX means.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Looks like there's quite a few. Arizona Mills has one, Superstition East out on Signal Butte, Desert Ridge, Westgate, Deer Valley, and Surprise.

But I don't know what true IMAX means.
Nerds on Reddit say only AZ Mills for true IMAX.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, they have IMAX quality for picture and sound, but it’s not the full mammoth IMAX screen from floor to ceiling.
Yup, I'm thinking of breaking my wait to watch in my home theater for this one. I want the full IMAX experience if I do. Hopefully word of mouth says that it's worth it. I'm in Denver for the first week of it so I have time. Surprisingly Denver doesn't have a true IMAX theater for Hollywood movies. The only one is in the Museum of Nature & Science.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I'm thinking of breaking my wait to watch in my home theater for this one. I want the full IMAX experience if I do. Hopefully word of mouth says that it's worth it. I'm in Denver for the first week of it so I have time. Surprisingly Denver doesn't have a true IMAX theater for Hollywood movies. The only one is in the Museum of Nature & Science.
The first reactions after the premiere in France have been outstanding.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The first reactions after the premiere in France have been outstanding.
Yeah, sorry. I'm positive that this is going to be a great movie. What I meant was seeing if the feedback is "you have to see this movie on real IMAX" vs "you have to see this movie!"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry. I'm positive that this is going to be a great movie. What I meant was seeing if the feedback is "you have to see this movie on real IMAX" vs "you have to see this movie!"
Gotcha.

I think Nolan is the premiere MOVIE THEATER MOVIE Director alive right now. I expect him to use every inch of the frame and the sound to be next level.

I’ll be sure to let you and the board know once I see it.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Gotcha.

I think Nolan is the premiere MOVIE THEATER MOVIE Director alive right now. I expect him to use every inch of the frame and the sound to be next level.

I’ll be sure to let you and the board know once I see it.
I'm 100% with you on your Nolan take. Him and Villeneuve are at the top of my list right now. Cuarón would be too if he made more movies. I love all 3 of them.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm 100% with you on your Nolan take. Him and Villeneuve are at the top of my list right now. Cuarón would be too if he made more movies. I love all 3 of them.
Just looked up all of those directors. It was 2018 for Cuaron for a movie. Taking time off for family?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Those three guys are top of their game. Dune was one of the first movies I saw back in theaters post pandemic and I went to IMAX. Villenueve practically blew my ass out of the theater with the way he skull humped my eyes and ears. That was filmmaking on a truly epic scale.

Can’t wait for the sequel.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Just looked up all of those directors. It was 2018 for Cuaron for a movie. Taking time off for family?
I'm not sure why. It looks like he's been doing some TV projects but 2018 isn't too long ago for him. It was 5 years before that for Gravity and 6 years before it for Children of Men. Great director though if you're not familiar with him. Children of Men is one of my all time favorites and at the top of my UHD want list.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Yup. Those three guys are top of their game. Dune was one of the first movies I saw back in theaters post pandemic and I went to IMAX. Villenueve practically blew my ass out of the theater with the way he skull humped my eyes and ears. That was filmmaking on a truly epic scale.

Can’t wait for the sequel.
Same here. I loved Dune. Part 2 and Oppenheimer are the two I've been waiting all year to see. I can't wait to see what he does with the rest of the story in P2. He's also working on Rendezvous with Rama which excites me. I liked the book and Clarke is one of my favorite authors.

I think I'm going to go put Dune on now. The Voice is killer on my system and the edible is kicking in. ;)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Is there a web portal to find the proper IMAX theaters?

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Those other ones are lieMax. The screens aren't as big and other stuff. Here's an article on it. https://johncanfield.me/blog/disappointing-world-imax-liemax/
Interesting. And the $24 Regal theater I was looking at in Issaquah, WA is apparently LieMAX. The real thing seems to be quite rare. In Seattle, I will probably try the Pacific Science Center, which charges $21 and advertises as follows:

PacSci is the home of Seattle’s ultimate IMAX® experience and the largest screen in Washington with two state-of-the-art theaters: PACCAR and Boeing.

See the latest movies in the Boeing IMAX Theater, one of the most advanced digital projection system designed specifically for giant IMAX screens. Films come to life on the six stories high (60 feet) and 80 feet wide screen during both 2D and 3D showings.

Plus, you support science education across Washington state when you enjoy movies at PacSci’s theaters!

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Interesting. And the $24 Regal theater I was looking at in Issaquah, WA is apparently LieMAX. The real thing seems to be quite rare. In Seattle, I will probably try the Pacific Science Center, which charges $21 and advertises as follows:

PacSci is the home of Seattle’s ultimate IMAX® experience and the largest screen in Washington with two state-of-the-art theaters: PACCAR and Boeing.

See the latest movies in the Boeing IMAX Theater, one of the most advanced digital projection system designed specifically for giant IMAX screens. Films come to life on the six stories high (60 feet) and 80 feet wide screen during both 2D and 3D showings.

Plus, you support science education across Washington state when you enjoy movies at PacSci’s theaters!
PacSci is the real deal going by their description. If they're showing it then I'd go there over the Regal.