ONE Player Dominates This Sport

Rattler Rod

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In the NBA, unlike any other professional league, or sport, games, and teams, are dominated by ONE player, a big, hard playing, rebounding, scoring machine known as "the center"......

The Phoenix, Suns, as improved as they may have been, can go out and get all the guards, forwards, etc. that they want...but they will NEVER be more than a team that gets into the playoffs on occasion, maybe even win a first round series, but after that...forget it, season over.

And, if I am not mistaken, in professional sports, athletes play for two things, a big paycheck and to win a championship, not just to be competitive.

So, Suns fans, most of you will probably all be dead before that championship is ever won by the local team.

Yeah, you can keep paying through the nose, go and watch the gorilla rock and roll, listen to the music during lulls in the game....and continue to sir on your hands and yell at anyone who may stand up in front of you....but, dont expect anything even close to a championship.

And, one other thing, until they get rid of the attitude that you need to be a model citizen, or a cute little white guy from the east valley, or Utah, to play for the Suns, that's just another thing that will keep them from ever winning anything.

Nice guys finish last.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Thanks for enlightening me to the Suns situation. I never knew that they needed a dominating center! Why can't we be like those 4 other teams that have one?! Damn, the Colangelos must be idiots. They don't even know how to run a team! Man, thanks for helping me out. I didn't want to waste more time cheering my favorite basketball team on, now that Rattler Rod has deemed the Suns not capable of winning a championship. :rolleyes:

adam

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to add. Maybe we should get the dominating center the Bulls had during their run. Luc Longley sure would have looked good in a Suns uni before he retired....Oh wait....

adam

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
"So, Suns fans, most of you will probably all be dead before that championship is ever won by the local team."

dude, you sound like one of those "Bad Guy" Wrestlers in the WWF with a chip on his shoulder who rags on the town he's in.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
ramrod....

If you are so stuck on positions still, you obviously havent been paying attention to this league the past couple of years. There are no longer dominant guards, forwards and centers. There are dominant big men, dominant small fast men, dominant perimeter men, dominant penetrating men ect. ect.

You claim a center is a big, hard, rebounding and scoring machine. How is Amare not this? He might player PF, but he is still very big, very strong, very deadly in the paint in year 1, a natural rebounder and a fast learner.

Players win games, a team wins championships. Even the best player ever needed help. (No I am not saying organizations like Krause once did).

This team has the tools. A dominant big man, an excellent PG, a do it all wingman, a bench in progress. Yes some minor things could always be improved, but experience will be the big factor in years to come.

Thank you for your opinion however, but next time you might want to bite your lip before you talk about things you do not understand.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Who is Ramrod, and why does his opinion about the NBA matter? No offense, but he doesn't seem to know anything.

OP
OP
R

Rattler Rod

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You guys dont get the point. I realize that there are few "big" dominating men in the NBA., the point is that no team, including the Suns , have a chance at the ultimate goal of winning a championship as long as they are one of the teams that dont have that type of player.

And, that being said, why bother to play the game...when the goal is to win the championship, to be the last team standing....

Only in the NBA , of all the four major sports, is that fact more evident.

I dont claim to know any more about basketball than any one else, or, for that matter any less....

I am just pointing out the obvious, and next season, when the NBA opens it's new season, the Suns will be right back where they are now, as will most ofhter teams, starting a season in which they have NO CHANCE, at all, of being the last team standing.

One man on a roster will continue to dominate this game......

So, if you are looking for an NBA title, dont waste your time.....

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
i will re ask this question since you apparently did not care to answer it (most likely because you cant)

You claim a center is a big, hard working, rebounding and scoring machine. How is Amare not this? He might play PF, but he is still very big, very strong, very deadly in the paint in year 1, a natural rebounder and a fast learner.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rattler Rod
You guys dont get the point. I realize that there are few "big" dominating men in the NBA., the point is that no team, including the Suns , have a chance at the ultimate goal of winning a championship as long as they are one of the teams that dont have that type of player.

And, that being said, why bother to play the game...when the goal is to win the championship, to be the last team standing....

Only in the NBA , of all the four major sports, is that fact more evident.

I dont claim to know any more about basketball than any one else, or, for that matter any less....

I am just pointing out the obvious, and next season, when the NBA opens it's new season, the Suns will be right back where they are now, as will most ofhter teams, starting a season in which they have NO CHANCE, at all, of being the last team standing.

One man on a roster will continue to dominate this game......

So, if you are looking for an NBA title, dont waste your time.....

Well I'm glad you cleared that up for all of us. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Honesly, your presense on this board, and the last two posts in this thread, are pretty much useless. You are not saying anything productive except "The Suns have no chance, so why bother?". Did the Bulls have a dominating center? No. They had a dominant players surrounded by good role players. The Suns have a big man who when he gets more experienced could become a dominant power forward. Just because that's his listed position, does that mean that the Suns have no chance with him? If Duncan is listed as a power forward, does that mean the Spurs would have no chance because they dont' have a dominant center? Please take this senseless drivel elsewhere.

adam

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So what happens if the Sacramento Kings win the championship? Obviously, your whole theory (because that's what this is) is moot.

Out of all the playoff teams, only one has a dominating center. Sure, they've won the last 3, but this year is definitely not a given. Are you saying that SA, Sac, Dallas have no chance at all at dethroning the Lakers simply because the Lakers have a dominating center?

Get real. That attitude may have worked in the late 80s, but not now.

This is getting increasingly "troll-like".

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rattler Rod
Ok, you win. Tell me that in 20 years.

Good retort. It's responses like this that make us take even MORE credence in your opinion. :rolleyes:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Originally posted by thegrahamcrackr
i will re ask this question since you apparently did not care to answer it (most likely because you cant)

You claim a center is a big, hard working, rebounding and scoring machine. How is Amare not this? He might play PF, but he is still very big, very strong, very deadly in the paint in year 1, a natural rebounder and a fast learner.

Well, looks like you ignored me on your third round through the thread as well. Maybe if i just keep quoting myself over and over and over you will have to notice this point, and possibly bring up a counter arguement, oh wait, there isnt one.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Defense and Team Basketball Win Championships!!!

Not 1 player. Not 2. YOU NEED 5!!!

THAT IS WHY BASKETBALL IS A TEAM SPORT!!!

THAT IS WHY THE LAKERS WON"T WIN - THEY ONLY HAVE 2!!!
THAT IS WHY THE KINGS WILL - THEY PLAY AS A TEAM!!!

OP
OP
R

Rattler Rod

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by thegrahamcrackr
Well, looks like you ignored me on your third round through the thread as well. Maybe if i just keep quoting myself over and over and over you will have to notice this point, and possibly bring up a counter arguement, oh wait, there isnt one.

Yes, good player, for a rookie, but , dominating, like an O'neal or a Duncan? We will have to see, but I doubt it.

And, let's say, for discussion purposes, that he DOES turn out to be the "dominating"big mand the Suns have been looking for, it will then just prove my point how the NBA is dominated by teams with "One" big man....

However, don't get your hopes up too much.

I like Stoudamire. I liked it when they made the pick. It was something that Colangelo has shyed away from, in the past, but made a gutsy decision with a high school kid, and I cheered the pick.....

But, will he be a "dominating"big man? Personally, i don't think so...He will be a very solid player, but not one that will dominate games. IMO, of course.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Time will tell...

But of course...

Oneal has Kobe,
Duncan has Robinson,
Mutombo had AI,
Ewing had Huston and Sprewell.

All dominating C's had one other great player and many other talented role players.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Recently, no team has won a title without having one of the absolute best players in the league on their roster. Sometimes that player is a center, and sometimes he is not.

Going backwards:

The Lakers have O'Neal, who is a center.
The Spurs had Duncan, who is sort of a center.
The Bulls had Jordan, who was a guard.
The Rockets had Olajuwon, who was a center.
The Bulls, before, still had Jordan, who was still a guard.
The Pistons ... we'll get to them in a minute.
The '88 Lakers had Magic Johnson, who was a guard. Abdul-Jabbar was no longer a dominant force.
The Celtics had Bird, who was a forward.

That's enough. The point is, not all of those teams had dominant centers. The Bulls and Pistons had no more than serviceable centers, and while the Celtics' Parish was pretty good, he wasn't one of the top ten players in the league. By and large, however, these teams all have had a totally dominant player somewhere.

Except the Pistons, which makes them an interesting and unusual case. I guess their best player was Thomas, and he was very good, but he wasn't one of the top two or three players in the league. If the Kings win this year, it will be a similar situation.

Maybe Ramrod wants to say, "The Suns will not win a title until they have one of the very best players in the league." That could be true.

I agree that no one on the present Suns roster is currently good enough to lead the team to a title. Marion probably never will be that kind of player. Marbury is very good -- very nearly at Isiah Thomas level, in my opinion -- but I'm not sure how much better he can get. I'm not even sure how he could get better, other than becoming more accurate from long range.

That leaves Stoudemire. Can he become one of the dominating players in the league? So far, it looks possible. If he doesn't, can the Suns compete for the title without another, as yet unidentified dominant player? Maybe not.

But history has shown that it is very difficult to predict which young players will become dominant and which will not. To assert that the Suns will necessarily fail for the next 20 years is idiotic. As an extreme example, the league's dominant player in 2020 will be someone who may not even have picked up a basketball yet in his life. There's no way to have the slightest clue what team he'll wind up on.

OP
OP
R

Rattler Rod

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ah, so it's RamRod now. Kind of has a nice ring to it. I will have to check with my wife.