On Simmons

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

on draft day this was posted in the thread after we picked Simmons. so is he the perfect modern LB that can line up all over, or is he a tweener that doesn't have any one position he really plays all that well? Too early to tell but I sure hope it's the first one.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

on draft day this was posted in the thread after we picked Simmons. so is he the perfect modern LB that can line up all over, or is he a tweener that doesn't have any one position he really plays all that well? Too early to tell but I sure hope it's the first one.
I still have tons of hope for Simmons but only if Vance goes.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have tons of hope for Simmons but only if Vance goes.

The funny thing is reading PFF's description of the modern day need at LB they don't mention run defense at all. Did they not realize what division we play in? We are the only team in the division that's not a power running team. You're supposed to draft players to defend the teams you're going to play against not draft a player who would match up against teams you don't play. not that the Rams can't throw the ball but their key is their run game so they can play action off it, and that run game is why Simmons was on the bench.

I deleted it but if you have a tape of it watch the first quarter again, the very first play from scrimmage Simmons was out and Collins was in on the 35 yard run by Michel. We had a light box they opened a huge hole for him. The next drive was the first TD drive basically every run play Simmons was in on he overran it or was out of the play in fact they subbed in Vallejo for him on the 2nd and 3rd drive of the game, both TD drives, because they saw quickly they couldn't trust Simmons in run defense he just kept screwing up.

Everyone said I was wrong but I'm convinced part of why Vallejo played so much last night is Vance saw the issues Simmons had in the Seattle game and just had him on a very short leash and first few mistakes on some 7 yard runs by akers and he was like ok enough of this vallejo you're in.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson