On Simmons and Collins

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe he moves in to Chandler Jones' spot

He's way too small for that, he would get ran over all game long. Isiah is going going need to move to SS or bulk up and keep practicing at ILB. I think a Kam Chancellor type SS is the best option. Unfortunately, Vance's scheme doesn't call for that type of player, and he doesn't seem willing to adjust it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Keim going to admit screwed up the pick though? This is a guy that kept Andy Isabella and Brandon Williams on the roster just cause they were drafted high…
No. Which is why we had a new GM that would have the balls to do it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Simmons has the arms and frame to make an impact off the edge. Of course he has no pass-rushing chops but at this point he’s not making a difference anywhere else.

Simmons was 238 at the combine (Reddick 237 for reference). He wears 238 like 218 so he can add more but doesn’t have that explosive first step Reddick did.
lol Okaaaay.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol Okaaaay.
You probably seen the guy do a handful of reps against an OT & be successful. Because he has rarely done it since college. And when he has, it’s been unsuccessful. Lets not pretend what Gator said was anything close to false.

Stout

Reaction score
You probably seen the guy do a handful of reps against an OT & be successful. Because he has rarely done it since college. And when he has, it’s been unsuccessful. Lets not pretend what Gator said was anything close to false.
I saw him, when used properly to blitz, show out well. Sorry, I'm not buying what you're selling.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw him, when used properly to blitz, show out well. Sorry, I'm not buying what you're selling.
This is not what he meant by “pass-rushing chops”. Isaiah Simmons is not coming off the edge & winning reps against OTs like a Nick Bosa, or TJ Watt, Myles Garrett, Joey Bosa, Khalil Mack, or our even old friend, Haason Reddick. He’s not beating with strength, power, explosion, or agility. He has no experience & that department & I don’t even think he has the mentality for it either.

Stout

Reaction score
This is not what he meant by “pass-rushing chops”. Isaiah Simmons is not coming off the edge & winning reps against OTs like a Nick Bosa, or TJ Watt, Myles Garrett, Joey Bosa, Khalil Mack, or our even old friend, Haason Reddick. He’s not beating with strength, power, explosion, or agility. He has no experience & that department & I don’t even think he has the mentality for it either.
Oh, okay, gotcha. When I think of pass rushing and ILBers, I think of shooting the gaps, which he is very much designed for. It just whooshed over my head that yinz weren't talking about INSIDE lol

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think you tell KLIFF to tell VJ to start them and play them both or get the hell out of here and take Billy Davis with you. Somebody needs to coach them up and, if they are too stupid to learn the defense, then cut bait with them.
It's just insanity to waste 1 first round picks on guys you won't or can't play. The defense was a sieve and you were getting your arse handed to you and you still don't play them? Egregious.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think you tell KLIFF to tell VJ to start them and play them both or get the hell out of here and take Billy Davis with you. Somebody needs to coach them up and, if they are too stupid to learn the defense, then cut bait with them.
It's just insanity to waste 1 first round picks on guys you won't or can't play. The defense was a sieve and you were getting your arse handed to you and you still don't play them? Egregious.
Kliff knows nothing about defense. He wasn’t even allowed to craft his own defensive staff. No defensive coordinator should listen to kliff. I wonder if he even watches when the defense is on the field.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

When i saw him playing the edge he was ineffective, he can just blitz likes defensive backs, just speed and getting untouched, otherwise every linemen and tigh ends in the league can easily block him, no strenght, no punch, no moves
Has zero pass rushing skills

Last edited:

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kliff knows nothing about defense. He wasn’t even allowed to craft his own defensive staff. No defensive coordinator should listen to kliff. I wonder if he even watches when the defense is on the field.
Exactly. My point is-MAKE him a head coach or show him the door. Of course, why hire a guy to be the head coach and then have the GM hire his staff in the first place? Crazy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's not outside though that's coming inside unblocked.

NOte there's an article on the Cards site now about the 2 and it says Simmons, by design, played 32% of the snaps against the Rams. That is the most important game of the year, against a team we played twice and had tons of film on, they decided the best way to use Simmons was not play on run downs and use only 32% of the time. That's how little confidence they had in him.

Again can't emphasize enough how bad that Seattle loss was, they saw Simmons out of position all day against the run and said we can't do that next week.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keep waiting for them. They will be backup in the leagues in 3 years.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simmons played 32% of defensive snaps... and was GAMEPLANNED to play that little.

That is an epic organizational fail for a top 10 pick in his second year in a playoff game. I don’t know if it’s Vance’s fault for not developing/having a clue what to do with him or Keim just blowing another first rounder, but end of the day, it falls on Keim. He made the pick AND hand picked Vance as his DC.
I can’t argue with this ‍♂️

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson