Official vBookie Bet #1: Dark Knight box office totals

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Word is, it has already broken 70 million on opening night alone.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set an opening day record. I forget the exatct total, but it was in the upper 60s.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The Dark Knight" made $66.4 million on Friday alone.
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/

Edit:
It broke Spider-Man 3's record for a Friday gross by nearly $7 million. This may break the all-time record for opening weekend gross which is $151 million by Spider-Man 3.

The initial numbers are not surprising. The Dark Knight is in more theaters with more showings than Spider-Man 3, had better reviews/expectations going in, and is opening in July rather than May (when Spider-Man opened).

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The initial numbers are not surprising. The Dark Knight is in more theaters with more showings than Spider-Man 3, had better reviews/expectations going in, and is opening in July rather than May (when Spider-Man opened).
It also doesn't hurt that it's roughly three times the movie Spider-Man 3 was. JMHO.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough call. It's maybe .3 times better?

Ledger's performance is really so powerful that it vaults it to the top of the comic book movie heap, IMO.

.3 :D

Thats cool!

Im going to go see it probably tomorrow(i hope)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how can batman part 3 top this?
Without Ledger, I don't think it will.

The good news is if Ledger gets an Oscar, hopefully A-List actors will start lining up for comic book adaptions.

I'd love to see Matt Damon as Captain America.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I am glad I went all in on the over.

[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=+1]Dark Knight' sets weekend record with $155.34M[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Sunday July 20 1:47 PM ET[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]LOS ANGELES (AP) Batman has sent Spidey packing as king of Hollywood's box-office superheroes. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"The Dark Knight" took in a record $155.34 million in its first weekend, topping the previous best of $151.1 million for "Spider-Man 3" in May 2007 and pacing Hollywood to its biggest weekend ever, according to studio estimates Sunday. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"We knew it would be big, but we never expected to dominate the marketplace like we did," said Dan Fellman, head of distribution for Warner Bros., which released "The Dark Knight." The movie should shoot past the $200 million mark by the end of the week, he said.

[SIZE=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/SIZE]
You must be registered for see images
Hollywood set an overall revenue record of $253 million for a three-day weekend, beating the $218.4 million haul over the weekend of July 7, 2006, according to box-office tracker Media By Numbers. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"This weekend is such a juggernaut," said Nikki Rocco, head of distribution for Universal, whose musical "Mamma Mia!" debuted at No. 2 with $27.6 million. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Factoring in higher admission prices, "Spider-Man 3" may have sold slightly more tickets than "The Dark Knight." [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]At 2007's average price of $6.88, "Spider-Man 3" sold 21.96 million tickets over opening weekend. Media By Numbers estimates today's average movie prices at $7.08, which means "The Dark Knight" would have sold 21.94 million tickets. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Revenue totals for "The Dark Knight" could change when final numbers are released Monday. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]The movie's release was preceded by months of buzz and speculation over the performance of the late Heath Ledger as the Joker, Batman's nemesis. Ledger, who died in January from an accidental prescription-drug overdose, played the Joker as a demonic presence, his performance prompting predictions that the role might earn him a posthumous Academy Award nomination. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"The average opening gross of the last five `Batman' movies is $47 million. This tripled that, and for a reason," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Media By Numbers. "A big part of that was the Heath Ledger mystique and a phenomenal performance that absolutely deserves the excitement surrounding it." [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"The Dark Knight" reunites director Christopher Nolan with his "Batman Begins" star Christian Bale, whose vigilante crime-fighter is taunted and tested by Ledger's Joker as the villain unleashes violence and chaos on the city of Gotham. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Overseas, "The Dark Knight" added $40 million in 20 countries where it began opening Wednesday, including Australia, Mexico and Brazil. The film opens in Great Britain this weekend and rolls out to most of the rest of the world over the next few weeks. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"The Dark Knight," which cost $185 million to make, also broke the "Spider-Man 3" record for best debut in IMAX large-screen theaters with $6.2 million. "Spider-Man 3" opened with $4.7 million in IMAX cinemas. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"Every single show is sold out," said Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president. "We're adding shows as much as we can, but we're at 100 percent capacity." [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]On opening day Friday, "The Dark Knight" also took in more money than previously counted, Fellman said. The film pulled in a record $67.85 million, up nearly $1.5 million from the studio's estimates a day earlier. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]The previous opening-day record also had been held by "Spider-Man 3" with $59.8 million. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Women accounted for most of the audience for "Mamma Mia!", which Universal opened as counter-programming to the male-dominated audience for "The Dark Knight." [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"With the crowded summer, we knew we would have to find the right weekend, and this seemed like the perfect one considering three-quarters of our audience was female," Rocco said. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Based on the stage musical set to the tunes of ABBA, "Mamma Mia!" features Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard, Julie Walters and Christine Baranski. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]The weekend's other new wide release, 20th Century Fox's animated family flick "Space Chimps," opened at No. 7 with $7.4 million. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]1. "The Dark Knight," $155.34 million. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]2. "Mamma Mia!", $27.6 million. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]3. "Hancock," $14 million. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]4. "Journey to the Center of the Earth," $11.9 million. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]5. "Hellboy II: The Golden Army," $10 million. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]6. "WALL-E," $9.8 million. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]7. "Space Chimps," $7.4 million. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]8. "Wanted," $5.1 million. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]9. "Get Smart," $4.1 million. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]10. "Kung Fu Panda," $1.8 million. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Djaughe

Reaction score
I went in with 2,137 v-smackers!

Where do I collect!
:D

You must be registered for see images attach

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The four people who bet against this should really not be allowed to gamble in real life :)

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The four people who bet against this should really not be allowed to gamble in real life :)

:lmao: Did my wife hack into your ASFN login and post this?

My excuse: Too many years betting on the Cardinals.

And one of them lives in Vegas and gave me crap.....hmmmmmm :D

If you had set both the line and the odds right, you might have suckered a lot more money to the other side than just us 4. :D

JTS

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:lmao: Did my wife hack into your ASFN login and post this?

My excuse: Too many years betting on the Cardinals.

If you had set both the line and the odds right, you might have suckered a lot more money to the other side than just us 4. :D

JTS

The line changed after the bet, and I would have felt like a jackass if I would have adjusted after the fact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard