Official "I can't keep up with technology" thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by MrYeahbut, Jan 6, 2019.

1. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

:(

2. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

Never go to reddit nsfw or gone wild.

3. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

Bots/crawlers/TCP/servers/spiders, what does all this stuff mean??

Are those rooms I see pictures of that have all those racks holding computers all connected together.. are those servers? .. As I understand server it's a storage medium that can be accessed by multiple individual computers. Then if these are servers, is there a way that those servers can be connected to another bank of them at a different physical location? If so, is this the way the interwebs are connected? so me sitting in my underwear can get results of searching for, let's say.. A pied peach face love bird will find the info for me on a server that has access to a scientist in Uruguay who has info about these birds on a server that has access to his computer???

A bot trolls around and collects info from Uruguay to sent to its originating source?? I mean, how in the hell else do you get 220 million search results in 3 seconds. Bots, Spiders and crawlers go into databases and collect the info?? Is the data transfered to the server or is just the specific IP address where it can be found. My guess is my computer/phone is searched by bots for info???

Fundamentally, I'm just looking for basic info on how the www works. You may have observed that I have read only enough to be dangerous. Do bots, spyders and crawler get inside my head when I use ear buds?? My wife says I'm infected so I blamed it on a trolling crawler. I need to educate myself well enough so I can keep the scam up on her... Copy? It's after 10pm and I've already taken my Ambien so this may not be the most coherent of posts.

I see there are bots on ASFN, what useful info could they possibly glean from here???

Gracias en antemano.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 10:21 PM
    Linderbee likes this.
  4. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

I can only answer to the ASFN spiders. They basically read/index our site, so when someone Googles, say, "where can I find black Kirkland t-shirts", our thread will be among the results. If you Google "Linderbee", it's pretty much all asfn threads that appear. Might be Twitter in there some now, too. Stuff like that.

Wish I understood the interwebs enough to be able to answer your questions.

MrYeahbut likes this.
  5. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

The control board in my alarm system at work fried about a week ago. You know how this goes... my system is obsolete and no board available so I had to buy a whole new control panel and keypads. Technician came to install it on Friday. Some gobbledygook about the new VOIP phone system is independent of internet provider, Comcast, and there's no way for the alarm to make the phone call to monitoring service when it goes off.... rilly???. So now I gotta buy some freaking 'module' so the phone signal can be sent off cell towers... and, oh yeah, monthly service costs more.... there oughta be a law!!

¡La tecnología me vuele loco!