Official "I can't keep up with technology" thread

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website continued... I've tried several different web design/SEO companies. They all asked me how I want the website.. WTH?? YOU'RE THE FREAKING DESIGN PROFESSIONAL, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ASKING ME??? WTH DO I KNOW ABOUT SEO???

I would welcome any criticism/suggestions desktop or mobile.

www.bdcdoor.com
First, love the thread, keep it coming.

Second, I found what I believe are two spelling errors on the mobile version home page.

Under the first picture link about residential garage doors, it should be manufacturers, not manufactures.

Under Garage Door Opener (I'd personally go with Openers, not Opener), it says you carriers the best (or something close) and should be carries.

I'm afraid I can't be overly objective for you, though, because you're one of my favorites on here so I was biased going in.

I'll keep poking around though and let you know if I spot anything else.

edit to add: At the very bottom of the home page there is what appears to be a link (you can click on it) for "Visit our showroom", but for me it's a dead link that doesn't go anywhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 8 months ago my Gmail account got hacked. I had an alias so outgoing email went in my company name. Some spammer sent a bazillion emails out under my company name. Google shut my website down. Jumped through hoops for weeks before they put it back up so, of course I lost all the rankings I had.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 8 months ago my Gmail account got hacked. I had an alias so outgoing email went in my company name. Some spammer sent a bazillion emails out under my company name. Google shut my website down. Jumped through hoops for weeks before they put it back up so, of course I lost all the rankings I had.

:(

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bots/crawlers/TCP/servers/spiders, what does all this stuff mean??

Are those rooms I see pictures of that have all those racks holding computers all connected together.. are those servers? .. As I understand server it's a storage medium that can be accessed by multiple individual computers. Then if these are servers, is there a way that those servers can be connected to another bank of them at a different physical location? If so, is this the way the interwebs are connected? so me sitting in my underwear can get results of searching for, let's say.. A pied peach face love bird will find the info for me on a server that has access to a scientist in Uruguay who has info about these birds on a server that has access to his computer???

A bot trolls around and collects info from Uruguay to sent to its originating source?? I mean, how in the hell else do you get 220 million search results in 3 seconds. Bots, Spiders and crawlers go into databases and collect the info?? Is the data transfered to the server or is just the specific IP address where it can be found. My guess is my computer/phone is searched by bots for info???

Fundamentally, I'm just looking for basic info on how the www works. You may have observed that I have read only enough to be dangerous. Do bots, spyders and crawler get inside my head when I use ear buds?? My wife says I'm infected so I blamed it on a trolling crawler. I need to educate myself well enough so I can keep the scam up on her... Copy? It's after 10pm and I've already taken my Ambien so this may not be the most coherent of posts.

I see there are bots on ASFN, what useful info could they possibly glean from here???

Gracias en antemano.

Last edited:

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only answer to the ASFN spiders. They basically read/index our site, so when someone Googles, say, "where can I find black Kirkland t-shirts", our thread will be among the results. If you Google "Linderbee", it's pretty much all asfn threads that appear. Might be Twitter in there some now, too. Stuff like that.

Wish I understood the interwebs enough to be able to answer your questions.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The control board in my alarm system at work fried about a week ago. You know how this goes... my system is obsolete and no board available so I had to buy a whole new control panel and keypads. Technician came to install it on Friday. Some gobbledygook about the new VOIP phone system is independent of internet provider, Comcast, and there's no way for the alarm to make the phone call to monitoring service when it goes off.... rilly???. So now I gotta buy some freaking 'module' so the phone signal can be sent off cell towers... and, oh yeah, monthly service costs more.... there oughta be a law!!

¡La tecnología me vuele loco!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hated CenturyLink and their lousy phone lines and slow internet so I changed over to Comcast and got a voip phone system. It's so freaking complicated and I have to call tech support all the time for the simplest changes. All I want to do is see what extensions are busy, music on hold, transfer, and MAKE A PHONE CALL!!

I've already bitched that it doesn't load my contacts the same way they're sorted on Google. It's lists my personal contacts as 'unknown' because they're not sorted by company...

https://www.esi-estech.com
My company went VOIP and it was a mess for a long time. The systems work now but still not as good as a lan line.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My company went VOIP and it was a mess for a long time. The systems work now but still not as good as a lan line.

Yeah, there's something to be said for just a basic phone.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's something to be said for just a basic phone.

even cell phones these days, you buy a $800 phone and you can barely hear people on it. Call quality sucks but hey look you can read asfn on the giant screen!

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
even cell phones these days, you buy a $800 phone and you can barely hear people on it. Call quality sucks but hey look you can read asfn on the giant screen!

Yeah, this crap never stops. Not 5 min ago I got a call from someone who told me my voicemail is full. No notifications on VM on my phone. My last one died on me back in Oct so I had to buy a new one. Apparently all my old voicemails that I had deleted from clear back then somehow got copied to my new phone and filled up the queue. I logged on and sure enough, there were 26 I had to delete.... wth?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this crap never stops. Not 5 min ago I got a call from someone who told me my voicemail is full. No notifications on VM on my phone. My last one died on me back in Oct so I had to buy a new one. Apparently all my old voicemails that I had deleted from clear back then somehow got copied to my new phone and filled up the queue. I logged on and sure enough, there were 26 I had to delete.... wth?

i dont even use my voicemail, its probably full

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought new heads for my electric razor. I was very careful making sure I was ordering the correct ones.i even kept the box that they came in the last time, cuz I'm so on top of things.... Well, i wasn't interested in gittin' down with Maroon 5 or Big Boi so I went to install the blades. THEY SENT THE WRONG ONES, so in a fit I threw the whole mess into the recycle bin and went on Amazon and bought a new one. That took enough time that when I came back to watch what was left of the game, Goff threw a pick... Game over, man, game over. I'll make it until Wed for my new razor. btw, I hate the Patriots and the Rams

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a small indoor fountain and the pump gave up the ghost. I went to the landscaper where I bought the previous one. The one I use has to be a certain size because it's a tight fit and I need the small electric cord with the toggle switch in-line. THEY DON'T. MAKE. IT ANYMORE WITH THE SAME KIND OF CORD!! Against my initial rage and some gentle persuasion from my wife, I have not as of yet thrown the fountain out. If Amazon doesn't have the pump I'm pitching the damn thing. $2 hundy down the tubes,

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm holding a small seminar tomorrow for my technicians. The. Liftmaster product support team is coming to give us some training on all the new features for both residential and commercial. I have a fairly well developed mental block system so I will undoubtedly retain none of it. Burritos and donuts will be served RSVP

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having all kinds of problems with new VOIP phone system... dropped calls, intercom doesn't work, voice mail won't retrieve etc etc. My general manager turned a certain shade of purple and she* was ready to break someone's face. Hours talking to tech support, comcast et al. I upgraded my internet to 75mg but as it turns out, the dude** who installed the firewall only dedicated 5mg to the phone system!!! No freaking wonder it didn't work properly!! Who are these people???

* Please substitute 'they' for gender neutral pronoun if you are so inclined.

** My granddaughter and her friends call each other dude sometimes so I guess that's gender neutral.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having all kinds of problems with new VOIP phone system... dropped calls, intercom doesn't work, voice mail won't retrieve etc etc. My general manager turned a certain shade of purple and she* was ready to break someone's face. Hours talking to tech support, comcast et al. I upgraded my internet to 75mg but as it turns out, the dude** who installed the firewall only dedicated 5mg to the phone system!!! No freaking wonder it didn't work properly!! Who are these people???

* Please substitute 'they' for gender neutral pronoun if you are so inclined.

** My granddaughter and her friends call each other dude sometimes so I guess that's gender neutral.

You need more milligrams!!

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need more milligrams!!

I'm already taking the maximum allowable dosage by law.....

https://www.viibryd.com/ ® (vilazodone HCI) is a prescription medicine indicated for the treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD) in adults.

another rant, my co-pay has tripled in the last couple of years- tier 2 to tier 4, they should make it free because people like me shouldn't be let out of their cage without it.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife giving me meds before she lets me out..

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Samsung changed charging port type on their Galaxy phones. I tried to save a buck by using the one I already have to charge my new phone in my truck, so I bought an adapter from Amazon. The connector is so short I have to take the entire case off in order to get it to connect. It takes me longer to get the case on and off than it does to charge the phone!! It's worthless. Of course, they only come in packages of 3, another $30 down the terlet.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Sincerely,

Henry David Thoreau

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave