Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not exactly the best source "them calling up 7 stores and getting an answer from 2" that they are discontinuing HDDVD. That said, CC has had players (the A3 and A30) discounted to $99 and $149 today (although some CC's have said that this is a price error), but there may be some truth here.

I was just in RC Willey and they had the A30 on sale for 149.00

I might go buy 2 or 3 A3 players at CC today if they are only 99.00

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I am new to this whole Blue ray thing. Quick question. Do blue ray players also upconvert standard DVD's? Do they all do it or do I need a Blue ray player that has that as a feature?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am new to this whole Blue ray thing. Quick question. Do blue ray players also upconvert standard DVD's? Do they all do it or do I need a Blue ray player that has that as a feature?

I think they all do it.

DCR?

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All Bluray players on the market upconvert.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
how come any rental dvd will not upconvert on my A2, it always says format disabled or something.

That is one reason why I had no problem selling off my A2. It says "high Definition Output Prohibited"

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how come any rental dvd will not upconvert on my A2, it always says format disabled or something.

That is one reason why I had no problem selling off my A2. It says "high Definition Output Prohibited"

In the A2's menu, you need to make sure that HDMI is selected as the video output.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of me is sad that HD DVD doesn't appear to be the winner. The other part of me is glad this war is almost over. This war and picking sides was all about money. It wasn't about technology or which format was superior per say.

I mentioned before my brother-in-law was at CES and talked to several people there and told me some of the same things that was being reported on the web. Basically, FOX Warner both decided on HD DVD exclusivity. Warner's condition to the HD DVD camp was that they were able to sway another camp into the HD DVD fold. That was FOX. So both decided to go HD DVD. When Sony got word of the switch they opened the wallet.

Apparently FOX was offered 100-125 Million dollars to change it's mind and go Blu Ray. With Fox pulling out of the agreement at the last minute, Warner balked at going exclusive at all. That was until Sony then offered Warner between 400-500 Million to go Blu Ray. Game set and match. So probably over a half a billion dollars was spent on 2 studios going Blu Ray. I guess it helps to have deep pockets.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of me is sad that HD DVD doesn't appear to be the winner. The other part of me is glad this war is almost over. This war and picking sides was all about money. It wasn't about technology or which format was superior per say.

I mentioned before my brother-in-law was at CES and talked to several people there and told me some of the same things that was being reported on the web. Basically, FOX Warner both decided on HD DVD exclusivity. Warner's condition to the HD DVD camp was that they were able to sway another camp into the HD DVD fold. That was FOX. So both decided to go HD DVD. When Sony got word of the switch they opened the wallet.

Apparently FOX was offered 100-125 Million dollars to change it's mind and go Blu Ray. With Fox pulling out of the agreement at the last minute, Warner balked at going exclusive at all. That was until Sony then offered Warner between 400-500 Million to go Blu Ray. Game set and match. So probably over a half a billion dollars was spent on 2 studios going Blu Ray. I guess it helps to have deep pockets.

I'm pretty upset. I don't think that we will see software as cheap as we have, unless you count discontinued HDDVD discs in the upcoming months. The format war caused Bluray to have massive B1G1 free sales. Once HDDVD is gone, I doubt we will see many deals like that again. Getting HD discs for about $10 a piece was awesome.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno if anyone is interested or knows already. But buy .com has many many many Hd and Blu Ray movies for 15.00 right now. Even a few as low as 13.98 and they are still doing google checkout.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
me and my stupid budget.

Although I had $150 credit at Borders/Amazon, and I didn't buy one HDDVD/Bluray. I'm completely shocked.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have to hook up the A2 using the HDMI or don't get the upconversion?

yes. It is because of HDCP. (high-bandwidth digital content protection)