When Marnie Was There (2014)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

When Marnie Was There (Japanese: 思い出のマーニー Hepburn: Omoide no Mānī, "Marnie of [My] Memories") is a 2014 Japanese anime drama film written and directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, produced by Studio Ghibli for Nippon Television Network, Dentsu, Hakuhodo DYMP, Walt Disney Japan, Mitsubishi, Toho and KDDI and distributed by Toho. It is based on Joan G. Robinson's 1967 novel of the same name.[2][3]

The film follows Anna Sasaki staying with her relatives in a town in Kushiro wetlands, Hokkaido. Anna comes across a nearby abandoned mansion, where she meets Marnie, a mysterious girl who asks her to promise to keep their secrets from everyone. As the summer progresses, Anna spends more time with Marnie, and eventually Anna learns the truth about her family and foster care.

It was the final film for Studio Ghibli, before they announced that it would take a short hiatus after The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, and the retirement of Hayao Miyazaki a year before the film was released.[4] The film featured the final work for Studio Ghibli animator Makiko Futaki, who died in May 2016.[5] It was also the final film that Yonebayashi directed for Ghibli before he decided to quit the studio. The film was released in theatres on 19 July 2014,[6] and on Blu-ray and DVD in Japan on 18 March 2015.[7] It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature at the 88th Academy Awards.

I actually liked this film more than Yonebayashi's other films I've seen.

Nominated for an oscar for best animated film, but lost to Inside Out. Still need to see that one.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard