OC and D Line coaches let go.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Except that 4 TDs given up in 2005 were on special teams. Just looking at points also doesn't take into account the times when turnovers gave the opposing team a short field etc.

You can take away all special teams TD's and the team will still be in the bottom of the league. I have worked it out before and it only moves us up 2 spots if memory serves me correct.

And if they were having short field to always work on then the raving of the 8th ranked D in yards is a lot less special, is it not.

Either you stop a team from scoring TD's or you dont. Short field, long field, it doesnt really matter.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I was a little surprised by the release of Brooks in light of the progress made by Antonio Smith and improved play by Chike Okeafor when B-Train went down and also tougher play on the inside. Then again, this wasn't Darnell Dockett's most impressive season.

Antonio Smith progressed? In more playing time he had less Tackles for loss and fewer sacks then the prior year.

And Okeafers success was not becuase he was playing better when Berry went down. He was already playing really well against the run when opposite of Berry, and only started to get more sacks when they stood him up like a blitzing LB and playing on the more sack condusive side of Berrys spot.

And Dockett hasnt been impressive since his rookie.

Maybe it was scheme, maybe it was coaching, but I am not surprised by the firing of Brooks.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Amazing. I thought the Cards were going to make the Wiz keep all the AC's. Maybe some people got that part of it wrong.

Easy with the sarcasm, 40. Some of us are scared stiff that Graves will be heavy-handed in having us keep Pendy, yeah. We haven't asserted that it absolutely will happen. I at least hope it will not.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much of an excuse

Except that 4 TDs given up in 2005 were on special teams. Just looking at points also doesn't take into account the times when turnovers gave the opposing team a short field etc.

The Cardinals had 30 giveaways in 2006 - two more than the league average of 28. Ranked #22, they had 15 more than the #1 Chargers, and 16 fewer than the #32 Raiders.

So sure, turnovers made things slightly harder than average on the Cardinals' D and contributed slightly more than average to the points against - but the number of turnovers committed on offense hardly exonerates a defense that was just plain lousy when it came to preventing the opponent from scoring.

The Cardinals' D did do a good job of forcing turnovers - ranked #6 with 33, five more than the league average, 11 behind top-ranked Chicago's 44, 21 better than the last-place Redskins' appalling 12!

...dave

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Amazing. I thought the Cards were going to make the Wiz keep all the AC's. Maybe some people got that part of it wrong.

God forbid we could actually discuss the possibility of that happening........ I thought this was a DISCUSSION BOARD, stuff like that happens on such forums. Once again, thanks for your insight Mr. Bidwill

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
someone posted an article that one of the reason the wiz was hired was his eagerness to retain clancy pendergast. to cp credit he has had this team get turnovers and the offense didn't do anything with it. cp will be retained. cp also needs to get his players to tackle better. that is what killed the cardinals this season on defense. that and giving up big plays.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Its official

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=82514

Whisenhunt, Kruczek begin house cleaning
By Darren Urban, Tribune
January 17, 2007

The Cardinals are officially without an offensive coordinator, after Mike Kruczek was told Wednesday he would not be on the staff of new head coach Ken Whisenhunt.

And one possible replacement could be Steelers wide receivers coach Bruce Arians, who served as offensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns from 2001-2003 and was quarterbacks coach for Peyton Manning in Indianapolis during Manning’s first three NFL seasons.

NFL sources said the Cardinals asked Pittsburgh for permission to speak with Arians, who is still under contract.

The Cards and Whisenhunt also asked for permission to talk to Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler and special teams coach Kevin Spencer, sources said.

The Steelers do not have to grant permission, which would allow those coaches to come to Arizona if they choose. Pittsburgh remains without a head coach, although current assistant Russ Grimm — who had also been a candidate in Arizona — is one of three finalists, along with Minnesota defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin and Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

Besides Kruczek, the Cardinals also released defensive line coach Larry Brooks Wednesday.

The Cards’ five remaining holdover assistant coaches are still candidates for the new staff, a team spokesman said, including defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast.

The other holdover assistants are linebackers coach Frank Bush, safeties coach Rick Courtright, receivers coach Mike Wilson and offensive line coach Steve Loney.

EXTRA POINT: Since the Whisenhunt hire was announced Sunday, the Cardinals have added 400 names to the season ticket-waiting list, given that season tickets remain sold out. The waiting list has grown to more than 5,000.

5000 people on the waiting list?! Holy crap

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whisenhunt releases 2 coaches

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 17, 2007 11:14 PM

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt made the first decisions about the shape of his coaching staff Wednesday, deciding not to retain two assistants still under contract.

Offensive coordinator Mike Kruczek, promoted from quarterbacks coach during the season, and defensive line coach Larry Brooks were released.

Whisenhunt is considering five other Cardinals assistants, including defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast.

Kruczek, an assistant under Dennis Green for three seasons, became offensive coordinator after Keith Rowen was fired after six games.

Brooks coached for the Cardinals for one season.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I'm sure Loney, Bush and Wilson stays. They're rated among the best in the league.

Kruczek was expected, since it's been reported that he and Matt didn't work that well together.

I'm surprised over Brooks. He was an up and coming DL coach. He did a great job in Detroit, but was let go, when the the best DL coach in the NFL became HC for the Lions.

Pendergast?? I don't know. Behind the scenes, there has to be reason for this push to keep him. None of us know the story, so it's really hard to conclude something from it. AND NO! I'm not saying that Green forced Pendergast to play with the 10 yard cushion, BUT I do believe that Green forced Pendergast to play a slow SS at FS, which is the most logical explanation for the cushion.

SightsSoundsBach13

Registered
Reaction score
I know the veterans are probably not happy to learn they'll be dealing with thier fifth offensive coordinator in five years, but I like the idea of starting from scratch in terms of plays called.

I was just watching "America's Game" featuring the 1991 Redskins Super Bowl team and started getting excited for an offense with some jaws.

However, I wonder if Leinart has the down-the-field strength in his arm that is present in most league-leading offensive attacks.

Regardless, we all know Fitz and Q were hampered this year both by playing with a rookie QB and dealing with an extreme level of blandness in the offense. We know both of those things are gonna be gone this season. Ironically, they could see their production raised, especially big plays and touchdowns, even with the running game having more carries. Notice I said running game and not Edge.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm sure Loney, Bush and Wilson stays. They're rated among the best in the league.

If Bush stays or leaves I wont shed any tears. He has had 3 Rookies to work with, one is out of the league and the other 2 may be following him and havent shown any progress what so ever. I dont expect them to be super stars but at least show some progress, enough to at least beat out the horrible Huff. I just dont see what is so special about the guy as a coach.

I think Wiz thinks he is replacable as well, "The Cards and Whisenhunt also asked for permission to talk to Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler and special teams coach Kevin Spencer, sources said."

And I am pretty sure Bush will have his Assistant HC title taken away which could mean him leaving as well.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I know the veterans are probably not happy to learn they'll be dealing with thier fifth offensive coordinator in five years, but I like the idea of starting from scratch in terms of plays called.

They're on their 4th head coach in the last 7 years so they should be used to it.:D

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
I really think Pendy was constrained by Green. Green was the one who said he wanted Pendy to stop being so aggressive. I didn't buy into the UT scheme with our personnel. To make that work, you need a stud DT that demands double coverage next to him. Eric Swann would've been perfect to offset Dockett. I expect we'll now see more Steeler type schemes. Can Pendy deliver on that? I don't know, but I'm sure Whis will only keep him if he feels he can deliver. What does this mean for Dockett though? Maybe Whiz will see Rolle as a safety instead of a corner.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Cardinals had 30 giveaways in 2006 - two more than the league average of 28. Ranked #22, they had 15 more than the #1 Chargers, and 16 fewer than the #32 Raiders.

So sure, turnovers made things slightly harder than average on the Cardinals' D and contributed slightly more than average to the points against - but the number of turnovers committed on offense hardly exonerates a defense that was just plain lousy when it came to preventing the opponent from scoring.

The Cardinals' D did do a good job of forcing turnovers - ranked #6 with 33, five more than the league average, 11 behind top-ranked Chicago's 44, 21 better than the last-place Redskins' appalling 12!

...dave

Interesting stats there daves. I wonder if there are stats on how often an offense converts TO's into FG's and TD"s? It seemed like quite often we would get TO's last year but then would have to settle for a FG attempt instead of driving it down and scoring a TD. Actually it seemed too often rather.

If the Offense that Whis can develop improves in converting TO opportunities into TD's rather than FG's (or FG attempts at least), once in the red zone at least, that could possibly take a lot of heat off of our D? WE score TD's more often than FG's and that adds to momentum and then the D is playing with the wind at their backs more often so to speak.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Wolfley had an interesting take on defensive stats:

The good:

Good redzone defense (12th or so I beleive)
Good take away production (as noted above)
Good pass rush (12th in the league)
Average run defense per attempt (gave up right at the league average)

The Bad:

Near the bottom in scoring and yardage defense
21st in opponents 3rd down conversion

The common tie between a defense that can rush the passer, produces turnovers, reasonable run defense, tight in the redzone -- yet gives up lots of yards and points?

Per Wolfley -- poor cornerback play that gives up big plays in the passing game.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Whiz will be calling the offense on Sundays so how importanct is OC now?

It depends on how he uses him, I guess. Just because he's calling the plays doesn't mean he won't take input from the OC or maybe the OC will be responsible for getting the right player packages on the field.

Reaction score
Wolfley had an interesting take on defensive stats:

The good:

Good redzone defense (12th or so I beleive)
Good take away production (as noted above)
Good pass rush (12th in the league)
Average run defense per attempt (gave up right at the league average)

The Bad:

Near the bottom in scoring and yardage defense
21st in opponents 3rd down conversion

The common tie between a defense that can rush the passer, produces turnovers, reasonable run defense, tight in the redzone -- yet gives up lots of yards and points?

Per Wolfley -- poor cornerback play that gives up big plays in the passing game.
Thanks for posting this.

I heard Wolfley talking about this yesterday morning, but couldn't recall the details.

The Card's need improved corner play and the first step in doing so is moving Rolle to safety!

It's the Cory Chavous saga, all over again... Move the kid to free safety and he will become All-Pro in a couple of years!

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
It's quite possible that Pendy isn't Whiz's first choice; but, he doesn't yet have permission to hire who he wants for the position.

We know that Cards asked the Steelers for permission to interview Keith Butler, but we don't know if the Steelers have approved this request as yet.

After eight years as a LB coach in the NFL, he may be ready for a DC position, which he did hold for one year in college, although with ASU. (Arkansas State....just thought I'd throw off the ASU Homers.)

Also, does anyone know what is happening with Dick LeBeau? If the Steelers don't hire Grimm, their new coach may want to clean house, making LeBeau available as the Cards DC, which would also make Pendy expendible.

Since we don't know if we can get either Butler or LeBeau, I don't see a reason to dump Pendy just yet either.

Of course, the Bidwills might be forcing Pendy down Whisenhunts throat just so that he knows who really runs the organization. :sarcasm:

Go Cards!!!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The only issue with LaBeau is that IIRC he is a dyed in the wool 3-4 guy -- and Wis already said the Cards will primarily be a 4-3 team

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Whiz will be calling the offense on Sundays so how importanct is OC now?

That's part of the Bidwill's plan to save money. KW calls the plays and controls the offense so that they don't have to hire an offensive coordinator. :D

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I hope so. I hope it was Green that installed 15 yard cushions and decided not to blitz a one-footed, limping QB. I'll be very happy if you are right.

*sigh* How many times do we have to remind you....he doesn't have the fastest cornerbacks in the world...they had to give big cushions. You LakerFans are all alike...

:D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*sigh* How many times do we have to remind you....he doesn't have the fastest cornerbacks in the world...they had to give big cushions. You LakerFans are all alike...

I have to remind you too that he's putting a jam-at-the-line, physical corner in cushions, which runs counter to the entire book on the guy. It would be like making Mike Vick a pocket passer, and Peyton Manning a run first, throw last QB. (The issue would be more with poor covering safety play than slow corners, in the case of not playing bump and run).

I am actively hoping it was Green's call to do that...I would love love love to eat crow on Pendy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen